Big Ten Title?

Well if we win the Big Ten then that would most likely mean we would be a #1 seed. Honestly can't picture that happening but a man can dream. The Big Ten is a grinder. Night in and night out you have to bring it. We have depth so that should help. Looking at our schedule we don't have a tougher game than the one we had today until March 6 @MSU.

I think winning the Big 10 Tournament is very doable. Our length, talent and depth will be major factors when playing 3 in 3 days. The championship game can be hard on the outside shooters. We can just keep going inside to all of our big guys.

I only watched the last 6 or 7 minutes but sitting back for 25 seconds while a guy stands at half court and dribbles seems like a bad idea...especially when you have athletic pressing type players. Illinois gave that one away IMO.

Rice is a black hole at times, kills them. I didn't watch much either actually, but why doesn't Groce press all game and run them out of the gym? Much better athletes.

Sorry guys but 1 win is not going to make me get overly optimistic with this team. They have still fell apart 3 times when they had double digit leads.
Trust me, I see the potential on this team and nobody wants to see them succeed more than I do. But 1 big win does not convince me they can win the conference. I still see a team that is 2-3 against the RPI top 25.
True.

Confidence is a contagious thing.

Both Wisky's and MSU's schedules are favorable and Iowa's is difficult so hopes of title should not be expected. But all I've seen is people saying the Hawks should be in the hunt (ie playing meaningful games last couple of weeks).

(conspiracy theory: B1G giving a break because of who they play OOC and "helping" teams that have weak OOC? Tin-foil hat please)

Sorry guys but 1 win is not going to make me get overly optimistic with this team. They have still fell apart 3 times when they had double digit leads. Right now Marble is hot, we seen him disappear for awhile last year. This team still struggles to hit the perimeter shot at times and we gave seen them struggle at the line. We seen OSU miss wide open threes down the stretch, shots that Wisconsin always seem to make.

Trust me, I see the potential on this team and nobody wants to see them succeed more than I do. But 1 big win does not convince me they can win the conference. I still see a team that is 2-3 against the RPI top 25.

Just a reminder... Marble battled injuries for a lot of the year last year.

Dude is ballin and will be drafted.

Hawks have an uphill battle but if say MSU and wiscy finish top 2 and we come in 3rd.

Hawks have an uphill battle but if say MSU and wiscy finish top 2 and we come in 3rd.

I think Iowa can finish in the top 4 in the Big Ten.

That puts them in a position to contend for the BIG tourney title and a top 5 seed in the NCAA tourney

I think Michigan is got to be in the conversation they're 3-0 with 2 road wins. Evenwithout mcgary they still got 2 probable future nba players on their team in stausks and Robinson. The schedule is an interesting obstacle, but we just crossed one of them with this win on the road. So one more of those or Wisconsin slip up against someone they shouldn't lose to we're back on the same playing field.

Take a quick look at who the top 5 teams don't play and ranked them 1 to 5 easiest to hardest. Of course we are 5, but MSU has similiar schedule as Iowa does they don't get Wisconsin at home while we miss Indiana at home. Ohio state u could argue may have an easier schedule then Wisconsin so that makes today's win even bigger. Now we just need Wisconsin probably to lose one or 2 against a team shouldn't and then Iowa play on par with Michigan State. Doubtful, but I'd put us as the 3rd most likely at this point.

1.Wisconsin doesn't play @MSU,@OSU, PennSt, Nebraska
2.Ohio state doesn't play @Mich, @NW, Wisc, Ind
3.Michigan doesn't play @NW, @PSU, OSU, Ill
4.Michigan State doesn't play @Minn, @Neb, Purdue, Wisc
5. Iowa doesn't play @Pur, @Neb, PSU, Ind

Last edited:

You really think so? He has been playing very well and maybe he could be a late 2nd rounder. I'll have to check some more draft boards, I don't think he has been on many. But if he keeps this up, he definitely has a shot.

You really think so? He has been playing very well and maybe he could be a late 2nd rounder. I'll have to check some more draft boards, I don't think he has been on many. But if he keeps this up, he definitely has a shot.

I saw a mock NBA draft that came out prior to the season that has him as the last pick in the draft.

I think he has played well enough to keep warrant that and if anything moved up that list.

I think Michigan is got to be in the conversation they're 3-0 with 2 road wins. Evenwithout mcgary they still got 2 probable future nba players on their team in stausks and Robinson. The schedule is an interesting obstacle, but we just crossed one of them with this win on the road. So one more of those or Wisconsin slip up against someone they shouldn't lose to we're back on the same playing field.

Take a quick look at who the top 5 teams don't play and ranked them 1 to 5 easiest to hardest. Of course we are 5, but MSU has similiar schedule as Iowa does they don't get Wisconsin at home while we miss Indiana at home. Ohio state u could argue may have an easier schedule then Wisconsin so that makes today's win even bigger. Now we just need Wisconsin probably to lose one or 2 against a team shouldn't and then Iowa play on par with Michigan State. Doubtful, but I'd put us as the 3rd most likely at this point.

Against a very soft schedule. They'll probably start 4-0, but it gets pretty brutal after that. Stauskas is a stud, but Robinson is very overrated. Dude oozes talent, but he disappears too frequently for me to put a lot of confidence in him.

Against a very soft schedule. They'll probably start 4-0, but it gets pretty brutal after that. Stauskas is a stud, but Robinson is very overrated. Dude oozes talent, but he disappears too frequently for me to put a lot of confidence in him.

The road game against Michigan is very winnable. Would be another huge step toward B10 title contention.

I agree soft schedule, but @Minn, @Neb aren't complete gimmies or anything I expect us to lose a game like this sometime during the season. Every team usually loses a game or two they shouldn't and they won can't discount that.

It's gonna be awesome when we are the last BIG team playing in March (in the real tournament, not the NIT)

When your best win is Minnesota you don't get to be in that conversation yet.

Well if we win the Big Ten then that would most likely mean we would be a #1 seed. Honestly can't picture that happening but a man can dream. The Big Ten is a grinder. Night in and night out you have to bring it. We have depth so that should help. Looking at our schedule we don't have a tougher game than the one we had today until March 6 @MSU.

I can easily see the BIG champ not getting a one seed. This conference could beat up on each other.

Wisconsin's "easy" schedule concerns me and we're not favorites to win this conference at all but we're really, really good at offense, defense and rebounding. We're playing top 10, maybe top-5 level basketball (There aren't too many teams who even come close to beating the teams we have lost too when you take into effect that all games are away from home. The only thing that has been stopping us from an undefeated record, and maybe a number 1 or 2 ranking is stupid end of game stuff.) We put up 84 points on Ohio State. At Ohio State. Teams just don't do that unless they are at an elite level.

1 - Wisconsin
2 - Michigan State & Iowa
4 - Ohio State
5 - Michigan
6 to 11 - Who knows
12 - Northwestern
I think MSU is better than Wisconsin and I think they win at the Kohl Center. If they get healthy and stay healthy.
Wisconsin/MSU
Iowa
OSU
MICH/MINN
IND
ILL, etc.

I'm ready to say that Iowa could be a threat but it wouldn't be realistic. OSU can't out shoot a good zone defense, which we have. MSU can. We have a much tougher schedule than Wisconsin. We have a tough stretch of games coming up.
I like that 6 of our 7 remaining road games are winnable. Yes, I know they are all "winnable" but going into the Breslin Center and coming out with a win is too much for me to consider. The rest:
@MICH 40/60
@NW 80/20
@ILL 80/20
@PSU 80/20
@IND 50/50
@MINN 60/40
are winnable.

Okay, it's too early to talk about such things but considering we have a road win at one of the four contenders (Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State is the way I see it) we kind of have a leg up on every one.

I think the title comes down to who ever holds serve at home against the top teams and whomever can beat the middle of the pack teams (Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana) on the road. Okay, this is probably the case every year but I'm just giddy about being able to talk about this in relation to an Iowa basketball team.
With our depth I like our chances in the btt.

Sorry guys but 1 win is not going to make me get overly optimistic with this team. They have still fell apart 3 times when they had double digit leads. Right now Marble is hot, we seen him disappear for awhile last year. This team still struggles to hit the perimeter shot at times and we gave seen them struggle at the line. We seen OSU miss wide open threes down the stretch, shots that Wisconsin always seem to make.

I see a team that is 2-3 against top 25 RPI teams all ON THE ROAD. There is a reason road wins count greater toward RPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, etc. as they are much tougher to come by. They have a tougher road than the rest of the BIG to win the conference, but starting 3-1 with road games at Wisconsin and OSU is a pretty good start.

I see a team that is 2-3 against top 25 RPI teams all ON THE ROAD. There is a reason road wins count greater toward RPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, etc. as they are much tougher to come by. They have a tougher road than the rest of the BIG to win the conference, but starting 3-1 with road games at Wisconsin and OSU is a pretty good start.

I still think with our depth I like our chances in the btt. I like how some of this team have thrown down the gauntlet and they and the team responded against osu thanks HAWKS

Latest posts