Big Ten may reconsider division names

It would be great if they did change them to something simple like "East/West". Right now is sounds like a group of girls are running the Big Ten and came up with a homecoming theme for the divisions.

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, this is simply Delany placating people in the hope that the 'problem' (ie, the fans) go away.

It doesn't really matter what you call them (legends & leaders is just lame though) and since geography doesn't really apply, I would suggest "Lakes" and "Plains". Two of the geographic descriptors for the general geography. Makes no difference that UM and MSU might be in the "Plains" division, etc.

Just keep in simple.

+1000 Anyone with any marketing savy would have been able to determine through focus groups or human factors testing that this wasn't going to fly.

I know this has been mentioned before, but did the Big Ten ignore focus groups?

ridiculous that they had no idea that the "Leaders" and "Legends" divisions would be poorly received

personally i think they need to seriously re do their Logo more than the divisions name, yeah the division names are lame but the new logo is utterly disgusting---- no wonder people make fun of the big ten and this frankly only adds fuel to the fire. No, true, who gives a flip what the SEC and Texas and friends conference think but as big 10 fans my god, that's just embarrassing.

personally i think they need to seriously re do their Logo more than the divisions name, yeah the division names are lame but the new logo is utterly disgusting---- no wonder people make fun of the big ten and this frankly only adds fuel to the fire. No, true, who gives a flip what the SEC and Texas and friends conference think but as big 10 fans my god, that's just embarrassing.

The old logo was just fine (remove the hidden "11" from it). The new logo is wimpy and probably what many creatively-challenged elementary kids would come up with.

As a Husker fan, i'm probably the only one on the face of the earth who actually likes "Legends & Leaders".

Big 10 Football is all about legendary players and great leaders. No other BCS conference has the history & tradition that the Big 10 has. What better way for the Big 10 to honor it's heritage with those division names?

Best of luck to the Hawks at the Insight Bowl.

The old logo was just fine (remove the hidden "11" from it). The new logo is wimpy and probably what many creatively-challenged elementary kids would come up with.

No doubt. Just tweek the old logo slightly and name the divisions East and West or Lakes and Midlands (Lakes being ours since it includes Minny and Michigan plus Okoboji:)).

With a vastly unpurportional number of troops serving in the the United States Military coming from the midwest, i still think "Stars and Stripes" has a nice ring to it.

Even the old logo was lame---but it was managable though at least---- i agree with the husker fan (gross, can't believe i just said that LOL!!) but leaders and legend's is ok, but still to "catchy" just like the lakes and plains(although it at least has geographical logic) at the end of the day, east and west works, actually, Lakes and Plains does make good sense, best of both worlds-- geographical and has nice little "catch" to it

If the Big Ten wants to save face, they should rename the "Legends" division after an actual Big Ten legend, and the "Leaders" division after an actual leader.

I think the Stagg and Paterno divisions would work fine. It's already on the championship trophy, supposedly.

Of course, they could also just start over.

I've never been a huge Delaney fan, but the fact that he was able to acknowledge that 90% of fans hated the names was pretty awesome. How many times do you see that in public life, ever?

It doesn't really matter what you call them (legends & leaders is just lame though) and since geography doesn't really apply, I would suggest "Lakes" and "Plains". Two of the geographic descriptors for the general geography. Makes no difference that UM and MSU might be in the "Plains" division, etc.

Just keep in simple.

I like the names, but have to disagree with the Michigan angle. If there's one state in the Big Ten that would be defined by it's proximity to lakes...it's Michigan.

Minnesota is of course "land of 10,000 lakes", but Michigan is surrounded by the Great Lakes and has nearly as many boat-owners as Florida. It's definitely not a "plains" state.

STILL...it would beat the hell out of legends and leaders. "Acck"

And I love JoPa, but Penn St has only been in the Big Ten 15 years, and he's still coaching!

I'd sooner see "Bo" and "Woody".

Last edited:

Latest posts