Big Ten Likely to Expand Conference Sched to Nine or Ten Games...

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
CBS posted an item on Monday that got my attention. The Big Ten is discussing a nine or ten game conference schedule.

A few years back, the league had voted to expand to a nine-game conference schedule. This was right after it had accepted Nebraska into the league. But that was scrapped in favor of a scheduling alliance with the Pac 12. Then that fell through this last year and the league is back looking at expanding the conference schedule and you can wager confidently that it will move to at least nine games for the start of the 2014 season.

The question now, according to the CBS item, is will the league go to a ten game slate?

I have not been a fan of the nine-game slate. One year you get five home games and four road games with the next year having four home games and five road games. It's not balanced and in some years very unfair for certain teams. The Pac 12 has dealt in this world for years (nine game conference slate) and the opinions expressed are mixed.

I'd rather see ten games than nine. That way you have an even number of home and road games for each team each year, so there would be no home field advantage factoring into a championship appearance. With the league expanding to 14 teams, likely splitting two divisions into seven teams, that means you'd play the other six teams in your division each year and then four of the seven teams in the opposite division every year. The league has a chance to split these divisions up so that there would be little need for a protected rivalry series, too; you'd play every team in the opposite division at least two times in every four year span.

The ten game schedule does have a few drawbacks. Locally as it relates to Iowa, it would likely spell the end of the Iowa-ISU series. If you are a BCS conference school, you really need to schedule at least seven home games. 10 games in league means five home games, so you'd need to schedule two home games in the out of conference. Iowa State wouldn't play at Iowa every year and the notion would be silly to consider. It might also spell the end for high-profile match ups between Big Ten schools and teams from other major leagues, as they'd not likely play the home game at a Big Ten stadium without a return trip to theirs.

So the Big Ten would need to find a scheduling partner for those out of conference games, such as the MAC or CUSA or both. Leagues who are used to doing either two for ones or one-off paydays, because the Big Ten schools can't afford to not have that seventh home game and won't be able to offer up a return trip say to a Miami of Ohio, like Iowa did in 2002.

Ten home games also means a great deal more live football inventory for the Big Ten Network & ESPN/ABC to air, which means more money to the league in advertising and during their upcoming TV rights negotiations. Each school makes roughly $25 million per year from the BTN now and industry experts believe that figure could ballon past $40 million per year in 2017 when the rights are renegotiated.

If I had to wager on where the league settles, it would be they go with a nine-game slate as a test run for two to four years then reconsider their options beyond that. What do you prefer?

An even number makes more sense - but having a football league where you only play in your conference basically is pretty strange.

I would like to see 10

The ten game schedule does have a few drawbacks. Locally as it relates to Iowa, it would likely spell the end of the Iowa-ISU series.

Not sure about this. Money only get's you so far.

I would like to see 10

The ten game schedule does have a few drawbacks. Locally as it relates to Iowa, it would likely spell the end of the Iowa-ISU series.

Not sure about this. Money only get's you so far.

It won't happen because schools want seven home games. Too many schools want to play a non cupcake home and home in there so it can't work.
Will Purdue and MSU give up ND? Iowa/Iowa State? OSU has some high profile games scheduled. I'm just not sure I see a compromise.

I do like the 10 game schedule, but do not like losing the Iowa St game. What is the reasoning for not going to 13 game schedules? Is the NCAA the only road block?

I agree with BTchamp. Playing just your conference with little likelihood of playing another major conference would be weird.

I like the idea of more conference games. An odd number of games is too much of an advantage for those teams that have the 5 home games on their schedule. If a 5 home team wins the championship it will always be controversial because the 4 home teams can always say the extra victory they may have received from the extra home game made the difference. Which a lot of times could be true.

So only time the conference has a chance to prove itself is during post season? SEC teams would always get the nod in tied record situations for the play off or bcs bowls.

I'm all for 10 conf games and a 13-game schedule

That's the ticket. The other scheduling requirement is a home and home with a BCS opponent. That ways Iowa can always can play Ia ST and another BCS good game and only one gimme...

btw start the season a week earlier and pay all the players and guarantee them health insurance the rest of their lives.

I'd love a 10 game schedule with 13 regular season games. If we must stick with 12 games, I'd prefer an 8 game conference slate..

I've been reading a lot about the Big Ten exploring more neutral sites for league games. For example, could Iowa and Nebraska play at a Neutral site every year, on Black Friday for instance? Students are on break anyways, and you could look at a place such as Arrowhead Stadium, which is 195 miles from Lincoln and 300 miles from Iowa City.

Do I prefer this? No. Is it logical, with 14 conference teams, to find a team to play at a neutral site every year? I don't know. Just throwing the idea around.

I know people will freak out but tell ISU that Iowa will only play them at Kinnick. The game would possibly still happen every two years or maybe not. Who cares? Iowa State needs this game but it doesn't matter if Iowa plays them ever again.

I have always thought that whatever hurts ISU helps Iowa. I know this isn't a popular stance but I have always felt Iowa could be a top program of the Midwest if they would take the gloves off.

Nine conference games sucks. I can't believe they'd even consider something so unfair, but then again everything about the expansion business is bullcrap, so they'll probably do it. Hopefully they'll man up and go to ten.

So now Iowa is too scared to play ISU, great.

I wouldn't say scared. I would say to take the opportunity to put a dent in the financial situation at ISU when possible. Without Iowa, who is ISU?

Good luck building the rivalry with WSU.

Will Purdue and MSU give up ND? Iowa/Iowa State? OSU has some high profile games scheduled. I'm just not sure I see a compromise.

The Question is can ND give up Michigan, and MSU and others.

I wouldn't say scared. I would say to take the opportunity to put a dent in the financial situation at ISU when possible. Without Iowa, who is ISU?

Good luck building the rivalry with WSU.

what exactly is the financial situation at ISU and how would ending the series "put a dent" in it?

looks to me like the big ten figured that the only way they can stop getting embarrassed by other conferences in football is if they simply stopped playing them all together...

The Question is can ND give up Michigan, and MSU and others.

I am almost positive that the ND/Michigan game is not being renewed when the contract is over very shortly or already over this year.

I would rather have a 10 game sched than 9 but even if you expand the sched a 9 game sched evens out over the years. And sometimes it isnt how many home games but who you play that year and where.

At $70 bucks a ticket I am tired of seeing Iowa play sometimes 3 weak teams at home (especially when we lose to them ala CMU, hahahaha).

I would rather pay the money to see an extra b1g game at home and one less weak Non-conf game. And I would rather bring in new BCS non-conf blood to kinnick rather than ISU.

CBS posted an item on Monday that got my attention. The Big Ten is discussing a nine or ten game conference schedule.

A few years back, the league had voted to expand to a nine-game conference schedule. This was right after it had accepted Nebraska into the league. But that was scrapped in favor of a scheduling alliance with the Pac 12. Then that fell through this last year and the league is back looking at expanding the conference schedule and you can wager confidently that it will move to at least nine games for the start of the 2014 season.

The question now, according to the CBS item, is will the league go to a ten game slate?

I have not been a fan of the nine-game slate. One year you get five home games and four road games with the next year having four home games and five road games. It's not balanced and in some years very unfair for certain teams. The Pac 12 has dealt in this world for years (nine game conference slate) and the opinions expressed are mixed.

I'd rather see ten games than nine. That way you have an even number of home and road games for each team each year, so there would be no home field advantage factoring into a championship appearance. With the league expanding to 14 teams, likely splitting two divisions into seven teams, that means you'd play the other six teams in your division each year and then four of the seven teams in the opposite division every year. The league has a chance to split these divisions up so that there would be little need for a protected rivalry series, too; you'd play every team in the opposite division at least two times in every four year span.

The ten game schedule does have a few drawbacks. Locally as it relates to Iowa, it would likely spell the end of the Iowa-ISU series. If you are a BCS conference school, you really need to schedule at least seven home games. 10 games in league means five home games, so you'd need to schedule two home games in the out of conference. Iowa State wouldn't play at Iowa every year and the notion would be silly to consider. It might also spell the end for high-profile match ups between Big Ten schools and teams from other major leagues, as they'd not likely play the home game at a Big Ten stadium without a return trip to theirs.

So the Big Ten would need to find a scheduling partner for those out of conference games, such as the MAC or CUSA or both. Leagues who are used to doing either two for ones or one-off paydays, because the Big Ten schools can't afford to not have that seventh home game and won't be able to offer up a return trip say to a Miami of Ohio, like Iowa did in 2002.

Ten home games also means a great deal more live football inventory for the Big Ten Network & ESPN/ABC to air, which means more money to the league in advertising and during their upcoming TV rights negotiations. Each school makes roughly $25 million per year from the BTN now and industry experts believe that figure could ballon past $40 million per year in 2017 when the rights are renegotiated.

If I had to wager on where the league settles, it would be they go with a nine-game slate as a test run for two to four years then reconsider their options beyond that. What do you prefer?

you may recall that I put forward the view that there will be presssure to add games to the college football season. I still believe that this idea will really be discussed openlywhen big leagues get to 16+ teams

Latest posts