Big Ten Finalized The New Media Deal--$7 Billion

I already have Peacock for The Office Superfan episodes so I guess I'll keep it. I am hopeful that some of the early non con hoops games get moved there rather than BTN+

They should be....the other guys (the employees of the school) are professionals. ;) And, now you got HIgh Schoolers that can make money off of NIL. Just wonderful.....so if teachers did not have more to deal with.....Johnny in 5th period might make more than the Social Studies Teacher and might just let him know it.....you can't tell me what to do I'm a millionaire. lol

Yea, this is a snowball rolling down a hill. I'm Ok with some NIL deals with collegiate players who develop an agreement with a car dealership or something, but the college/university NIL accounts have to be regulated.

Long gone is the college game or what was somewhat amateur sport. It will never be the same again.

Lol. I have 15.5 year old boys. I just said last night, "Boy, this NIL is happening at just the right time!".

Frank the Tank tweeted that there is an escalation section in the contract for further B1G expansion, should it happen. He said the usual suspects are Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford, and Notre Dame.

Oh really? Where did he find a copy of this contract? I'd really like to see it. I can't fathom that there would be an escalator in it for anyone other than Notre Dame (with the others listed as contingencies along with ND) because there is abso-fucking-lutely no way that Oregon would make the contract jump. If that was the case, they'd already be in the conference.

Wow that is more than I expected, one wonders what promises the Big has made for future moves to up the money so much.

Don't they already have revenue sharing? Isn't that what the BIG 10 is known for doing the best, treating all conference teams fairly?

Last edited:

Don't they already have revenue sharing? Isn't that what the BIG 10 is know for doing the best, treating all conference teams fairly?
Direct payments to players. It's coming. Here's an interview Kevin Warren just did for HBO Real Sports that's set to air. Sorry for the TL;DR

BRYANT GUMBEL: You sit here today as the architect of deals that will enrich the Big Ten in ways that no one imagined.

KEVIN WARREN: Uh-huh

BRYANT GUMBEL: Everybody's getting rich now off college sports, okay? The networks are getting rich from it, the administrators are getting rich, the schools are getting rich, the coaches get rich. You know who won't be getting rich off it? The athletes. When are you gonna start paying them?

KEVIN WARREN: One of the things I'm excited about is being able to have honest dialogue with our student athletes. Have there been little changes that have been made? Yes. But we need to really sit down and start getting these issues on the table and start making some decisions.

BRYANT GUMBEL: Could you foresee paying your athletes?

KEVIN WARREN: Yes. Yeah.

BRYANT GUMBEL: So could you foresee the day when Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin are paying their football players? Paying their basketball players because they are in revenue-producing sports?

KEVIN WARREN: Those are the things that we have to resolve. We have to. So I want to be part of this conversation, and will be part of this conversation of what we can do to make this better.

BRYANT GUMBEL: Right now, we are having a major realignment in collegiate sports.

KEVIN WARREN: And I think during that period there's gonna be a lot of disruption. And that's okay. We need to embrace it if we want to make sure that we continually build college athletics in a position where it's here 100 and 200 years from now.

BRYANT GUMBEL: You're at 16 teams now. Could you foresee 20?

KEVIN WARREN: I could. Yeah. I could see perpetual and future growth.

BRYANT GUMBEL: As we sit here today, you are inarguably one of the most powerful executives in all of sports and inarguably, the most powerful African American sports executive of all time. What do we think Morrison F. Warren would think about that.

KEVIN WARREN: You're gonna make me cry now. That's really my standard; is my mom and my dad. I really hope that they would be not only proud what I've done but more so how I did it. I mean, I'm not supposed to be sitting here today. I should've died in 1974 as an 11-year-old boy. So count your blessings. Work hard. And things work out.

I know it's more about status than finances with ND, but with some of the escalators rumored, they are passing on twice the TV revenue (110-120M with B1G vs 60M rumored as independent). Athletic departments can really use that extra revenue for their other sports right now.

This is also why the state of CA is willing to cut off the hand to spite a finger with UCLA. That athletic department is going to go bankrupt without a change of conference, but Cal feels slighted so they are going veto a move without a huge payoff to Cal (maybe yearly).

I know it's more about status than finances with ND, but with some of the escalators rumored, they are passing on twice the TV revenue (110-120M with B1G vs 60M rumored as independent). Athletic departments can really use that extra revenue for their other sports right now.

This is also why the state of CA is willing to cut off the hand to spite a finger with UCLA. That athletic department is going to go bankrupt without a change of conference, but Cal feels slighted so they are going veto a move without a huge payoff to Cal (maybe yearly).

It isn't the $$$$$$$ that's going to force ND into a conference, it's going to be the time they notice that can't schedule a nationally competitive schedule to have a path to the playoffs. If we get jumbo conferences and they limit the number of non-conf match-ups, ND will find it difficult to get a schedule full of top tier teams as an independent. The BIG would have upwards of 20 teams and they are going to look out and play each other. The SEC will be the other jumbo conference.

Last edited:
Ole Kevin Warren and Mark Emmert sure are from different planets, aren't they?

Warren walked into a juggernaut that Delany made with his vision for BTN. Emmert walked into a house of cards that has its hands tied by all sorts of court cases, consent decrees and settlement agreements. Emmert's job sucks. Warren's is amazing.

Warren walked into a juggernaut that Delany made with his vision for BTN. Emmert walked into a house of cards that has its hands tied by all sorts of court cases, consent decrees and settlement agreements. Emmert's job sucks. Warren's is amazing.
Let's not go so far as to vindicate Emmert, though.

We all know he was, is, and always will be against players making a dime.

Emmert could have gone in and bucked the system if he wanted to. Yeah, there was a ton of litigation going on, but we all knew it was going to side with players anyway...he could have raised the white flag. It's not like he would've been blackballed from college sports..quite the opposite.

Mark Emmert bet the farm on courts siding with a bunch of 70 year old rich men in 2021 and he lost that bet because he was stupid.

Doesn’t Warren deserve a little credit for following Delany’s playbook?

Let's not go so far as to vindicate Emmert, though.

We all know he was, is, and always will be against players making a dime.

Emmert could have gone in and bucked the system if he wanted to. Yeah, there was a ton of litigation going on, but we all knew it was going to side with players anyway...he could have raised the white flag. It's not like he would've been blackballed from college sports..quite the opposite.

Mark Emmert bet the farm on courts siding with a bunch of 70 year old rich men in 2021 and he lost that bet because he was stupid.

Emmert's job is more nuanced than that, though. Dude represents every school, not just the blue bloods. He's gotta protect Wofford or Bradley or UNI in addition to Ohio. Those schools collectively have more votes than the P5. It's why the NCAA is fucked.

Doesn’t Warren deserve a little credit for following Delany’s playbook?

No, he deserves a lot of credit, not just a little. But by way of comparison to the business world, Warren is basically like Tim Apple, the guy who took over Apple after Jobs got sick. Emmert is like Rick Waggoner, who was CEO of GM when they went bankrupt.

Agreed can’t stand Peacock.

I just watch it to catch new releases like The Northman

Then cancel before the month is over

The Office and Parks and Rec are always good to watch

Waste of time and money otherwise

I like the World Cup but the regular season European Soccer is not my cup of tea

1660948428458.png

:cool:

Latest posts