Big Ten Expansion: Four by Four???

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Tom Dienhart of Rivals.com tweeted some interesting stuff today. He used to be a college football writer for The Sporting News and now does the same for Rivals/Yahoo.

His first tweet talked about Big Ten expansion buzz and his second tweet laid out four, four-team divisions.

The teams that he was ‘buzzing’ about are Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers, Syracuse and Pitt, five teams to join the league. Here were the divisions he posted:

DIVISION ONE: Syracuse, Pittsburg, Rutgers & Penn State
DIVISION TWO: Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota
DIVISION THREE: Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois or Northwestern
DIVISION FOUR: IOWA, Missouri, Nebraska and Illinois or Northwestern

Wow, a lot to digest and discuss, such as how would the scheduling line up? You’d play the three teams in your division each year, then play either five or six more conference games. The PAC-10 plays nine conference games, which means one year you get four home games an five roadies and the next year its 5 & 4, so I guess that is possible, but not perfect. Which teams do you get to play from the other divisions? There would have to be at least one protected rivalry game, because there is no way Ohio State and Michigan won’t play one another in the final regular season game. Well, I guess there is a way, as Nebraska and Oklahoma interrupted their great and storied rivalry when they joined the Big 12 more than a decade ago. The last thing those schools would want would be to play the last game of the regular season then have some sort of rematch for the league title game.

How the league would determine just who would play for the league title would be very complicated, and there is also no way that the league expands and does NOT have a league title game…or at least, I don’t think so. Too much money on the table. I’d be fine if they expanded and didn’t have a league title game, because they could schedule some amazing games the last two or three weeks of the college football regular season and play the day before the BCS bowl games are announced. I think that is the most important thing in all of this; staying relevant all season long and not having that long layoff before the bowl game.

So I guess I should probably stop using the term ‘no way’ as it relates to the Big Ten and expansion, because this league is going to blaze its own trail and make its own rules.

Now, as for these division that Dienhart tweeted about (again, he is the national college football writer for Rivals/Yahoo, not some dude from the Grand Island Bee), Ohio State gets far too easy of a pass here. I don’t think Michigan would stand for that. Division One listed above makes sense, and gives Penn State regional and historical rivalries. Division Two is solid and balanced geographically and with history in mind. Which schools would be giving up the most history and tradition in this hypothetical?

Illinois or Northwestern, one of those two, along with Iowa.

While I would love to be in the same division as Missouri and Nebraska, because that means Iowa would play them each year and the rivalries that would grow out of those series could be epic and entertaining, Hawkeye fans would be losing traditional rivalry games with Wisconsin or Minnesota; I doubt they’d get to protect both of those rivalries.

Would it be worth it? I am going to have to chew on this one a bit. It’s likely all moot, because I cannot fathom Ohio State getting that much of a free ride to being 3-0 in their division each year.

As for the five new teams listed in general, that’s a pretty solid basketball league, too. Missouri, Pitt and Syracuse would all be great additions on the hardcourt, with Nebraska and Rutgers throw ins. Rutgers’ basketball program would get a boost from this, while Nebraska’s program would likely continue to languish in mediocrity. Missouri and Nebraska would be solid wrestling additions as well, and Nebraska has a very good baseball program.
From a television standpoint, the Big Ten Network would pretty much own New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri and Iowa (sorry Iowa State). That’s a lot of real estate and that is a lot of subscription dollars and homes with television sets. You are basically talking about one third of the population of the United States here and all of it running together contiguously.

This move would also destabilize the Big East and the Big 12, and it would really hurt Iowa State; they’d lose their two most natural rivals in the Big 12, two border states, where Iowa would gain those. Figuring that Iowa and Iowa State would still meet in football, you are talking about three games each year against programs that are within a five hour drive of Iowa City. Throw in a fourth with either Illinois or Northwestern in this example, and a fifth if one of Minnesota and Wisconsin can be kept as an annual rival. Indiana and Purdue would fall into this category, or real close, whenever you had to play there. Iowa’s road traveling legacy would be expanded upon, which is what the bowl scouts love.

I still think that items like this get leaked out there to put pressure on Notre Dame. I’d be content if the Big Ten only added the Irish and moved to 12 teams and said ‘we’re good’. To me, that’s the best case scenario; you keep your traditional league intact, get to play your traditional rivals and you add the history and tradition of Notre Dame that has some degree of history playing against most every team in the league, and they are located in Indiana.

But if that won’t happen, I’d much rather see Nebraska and Missouri join the league than any of the teams from Texas, because I think Iowa would wind up in their division…and that is not something I am remotely interested in.

What are your thoughts?

Concerning the "ND pressure"...any chance that this is combined effort by the Big10 and the Big East to get ND to join the Big10 and save the Big East from being torn apart? Kind of a "we'll help you get ND, but you have to leave New York alone" thing, exchanging ND's national fanbase for the millions in New York?

I like the idea. I guess ND does not want to play along. Too bad. This option would root the conference deeper into the midwest, and create 2 more border skirmishes for Iowa, and it would also expand the conference into the east. Plus it would create the value added effect of dismantling the Big XII.

Last edited:
There are some interesting ideas in there to ponder, but I don't really see it panning out that way. Why on earth would the league want to split into four divisions? What purpose would it really serve? There are so many questions that would have to be answered (most of which, you laid out pretty well), would whatever benefit be worth the headache?

The conference can pick up all of those teams (which I don't quite see, either), split down the center geographically, and not add any undue headaches. Most of the rivalries stay in tact, the scheduling would be fairly straight forward, and a conference championship game would be easy to determine.

I think the most likely scenario is for the B10 to pick up three teams and call it a day until the other conferences start to make their moves. ND will change their mind when the Big East really starts to get into trouble, but if the Big Ten gambles too big and tries to push for 16 teams too quickly, they could end up biting off more than they can chew. This will have to happen in stages, I think.

Just my two cents.

Would the school presidents be up for this? I'm guessing no. I still contend that there is no way that the presidents of these prestigious schools would sign off on Nebraska joining. If you swap Nebraska with ND then you may be onto something.

What would happen to the Big XII and where would ISU go: the MAC, the Mountain West, or Conference USA?

What would happen to the Big XII and where would ISU go: the MAC, the Mountain West, or Conference USA?

IF this were to happen, then I would imagine that ISU would go wherever KU and KSU go. I would think that the Big12 would first try to raid the Mountain West and SEC to try and stay afloat. If that doesn't work then I think the Big12 isn't the only conference to dissolve. We may see a massive re-alignment or a complete abandonment of the NCAA like what has been discussed in recent weeks.

Horrible idea and it isn't going to happen.

If 14 teams, play each team in your division (duh) and four in other division and rotate after a home/away every two years.

1. four-year player (excuse me) student-athlete will have at least a home-and-away with the all schools in the other division.

2. fans won't "lose track" of the other division

3. even number of conference home/away games is a must.

Yeah, that's 10 Big14 conference games. Good. Much better than playing the Peninsula University of Florida-Fort Myers (you figure the acronym) as a non-conference.

Missouri will fill that role nicely.

If it's 16:
Then rotate non-division teams every year so that in a four-year span you cover the other division.

1. decent chance of not having the championship game being a redo from the regular season.

2. can still schedule plenty-o cupcakes in the non-conference. And Missouri will still fill that role nicely in-conference.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the proposal I came up with and posed in the other thread.
I like the floating division arrangement...

I could definitely live with those teams- a number of solid programs and several natural geographic rivals for Iowa.

For the people talking about 2 X 8 team divisions, the problem with that is you would be locked into playing the other seven in your division every year, then if you played 9 conference games a year, 2 from the other division-- that means if you're Iowa that Michigan is only on your schedule 2 times every 8 years and only comes to your stadium once. Lots of people would find that not ideal.

The 4 X 4 alignment makes it a little more flexible. I would group them like this:

East
PSU, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse

Central
Mich, MSU, OSU, Indiana

North
Minnie, Wisky, Iowa, NW

West (looks like the weakest division on paper, but always paired w/ one of the other 3 as you'll see below)
Nebbie, Mizzou, Illini, Purdue

Then give each team a permanent rival in each of the other 3 divisions that they will play every year. Here's what I came up with:

PSU-- tOSU, Iowa, Nebraska (definitely on of the hardest if not THE hardest currently
Pitt-- Michigan, Wisconsin, Mizzou
Rutgers--MSU, Minnesota, Illini
Syracuse-- Indiana, NW, Purdue (pretty bland, but will still have good schedules)

Michigan-- Pitt, MN, Neb (struggled w/ giving them Minnie, they have a rivalry game)
MSU--Rutgers, Iowa, Missouri (Iowa rivalry has been fairly even recently)
tOSU-- PSU, Wisky, Illini (fairly tough, all these teams have given them some trouble)
Indiana-- Syracuse, NW, Purdue

Iowa-- PSU, MSU, Nebraska (get the future border war + PSU)
Wisky-- Pitt, tOSU, Missouri
NW-- Syracuse, Indiana, Illinois
MN-- Rutgers, Michigan, Purdue (gave them Michigan for little brown jug)

Neb-- PSU, MI, Iowa (obvious game vs Iowa, have a legitmate rivalry w/ PSU)
Missouri-- Pitt, MSU, Wisky
Illini--Rutgers, tOSU, NW
Purdue-- Syracuse, Indiana, MN

So as another poster put it you play all 3 in your division + another division + your remaining 2 protected rivals for a total of 9 conference games. You would rotate thru all the teams in the conference every 6 years.

So Iowa's rotation could look like this:
year 1 & 2 vs the East
PSU/Pitt/Rutgers/Syracuse/MSU/Wisky/NW/Minnie/Nebbie
The East/North winner would play the Central/West winner in conf. title game

year 3 and 4 vs the Central
PSU/Mich/MSU/tOSU/Indiana/Wisky/NW/Minnie/Nebbie
The North/Central Winner would play the East/West winner

year 5 and 6 vs the West
PSU/MSU/Wisky/NW/Minnie/Nebbie/Mizzou/Illini/Purdue
the North/West winner vs the East/Central winner for the title

So looking at my proposed format, the only rivalry that I know of that would get broken up is PSU vs MSU for the land grant trophy (and is that REALLY considered a big rivalry?)[ok just looked it up, I found 17 named rivalry/ trophy games between teams in this 16 team conference; my alignment scheme would preserve all but 2 on an every year basis-- the 2 are the Land Grant Trophy above and the 'Governor's Victory Bell game between PSU and MN, both of these 'rivalries' have only been around since 1993.

Maybe OSU, would not get that "free' Pass if Ind and Wisc were to be switched. It still works somewhat geaographically.

How in the world do you get a championship game in football without playing a divisional championship round with four divisions? The two highest seeds hosting the games or would they be on neutral sites? This would give two extra games on national televison with big money and big ratings and would really **** off the other conferences.

The four division set-up is better for Iowa with respect to recruiting. If you stick Iowa in a 2 division East/West scenario, our ability to recruit in the East gets diminished. Why do you think the Big 12 North failed? Because you isolated the best recruiting area in one division. If Iowa could work out a conference split of Nebby, Mizzou, Illinois, and us and have an annual rivalry game with Minny, we would keep all of our close recruiting areas and still be able to tell the kids from other regions they would be able to play in front of the home town people during their college career.

One more thing! Sorry, but the rivalry game with Nebby would quickly beat out anything we have going now.

There won't be 4 divisions...not gonna happen..no way, no how. Why? Because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. As one person pointed how...how are you going to determine a conference champion? You would have to have two "playoff" games.

Rutgers and Syracuse have no business being in the Big 10 whatsoever. Only Nebraska and Missouri make sense.

If the Big 10 is going to expand it should only be by 1 team, with 2 divisions. That team should be (in this order):

1. Notre Dame
2. Nebraska
3. Missouri

How in the world do you get a championship game in football without playing a divisional championship round with four divisions? The two highest seeds hosting the games or would they be on neutral sites? This would give two extra games on national televison with big money and big ratings and would really **** off the other conferences.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner! The Big10 is looking at having it's own playoff and basically telling the NCAA to #$#! off we will do it our own way and rake in all of the dough. I think a 4 team Big10 playoff would bring higher ratings than most bowl games.

I keep thinking the way to do it is to have two divisions that do not play each other in a given year have their teams play an end of the season game by order of finish. Have the game rotate each year home and away by division.

Regular season

D 1 plays D4

D2 plays D3

Last game, D 1 plays D3 by order of finish, D2 plays D4 by order of finish

Championship - Winner of two champions between top seed games.

That would allow a team who finished second in their league to have a game against another strong team and get a sense of how the divisions stack up against each other. For instance, if a division went 4-0 in those games, it would clearly indicate one Division was stronger than the other.

The results could then be worked into the conference standing formula.

Because all teams would play the second to last game, it would not be considered a playoff. However, it would work as one because the final teams would come from the winners of the top seed games.

Latest posts