Big Ten Division Names

Michigan and Chicago ain't the Plains.

Actually the only "plains" are Iowa (barely) and Nebraska.

How about Brewers and Sewers?

How about East & West ... nah that would have been too ******* easy and sensible

so let's move Wisc & Ill to the East and Mich & MSU to the West and pick some contrived names blah, blah, blah

Quick, who's in the SEC East? How about the SEC West? What about the Atlantic division of the ACC? The Coastal?

Most people don't know this, so it doesn't matter if teams don't necessarily 'fit' the East-West scheme. You could have kept it as a Lakes and Plains, or East-West or North-South, and people wouldn't have cared. However, how goofy is it going to be to hear "The SEC championship will be between the winners of the East and West divisions. The Big Ten will be between the winners of the Legends and Leaders divisions..."

Michigan and Chicago ain't the Plains

And the Minnesota Vikings are located further west than the NFC West St. Louis Rams, both of which are noticeably further east than the NFC East Dallas Cowboys.

The Iowa Hawkeyes play in the Big Ten West/Plains/Anything-but-whichever-stupid-name-we-ended-up with Division.

Not to mention the total hypocrisy on the part of the Big Ten. They'll give names to the trophies based on history, but not the divisions themselves? They'll decide the teams that comprise the divisions based on historical results, but not the division names?

Nobody wants to be playing in the Lamers or Losers Divisions.

As for "who's in the SEC", that's more about people being too stupid to know geography more than anything else. If you had Remedial US History, you have a pretty good idea of what states exist in this country, and can thus pretty much figure out which schools are in which division.

Why not stick to the stupid hyphenated theme and go with the "Fry-Schembechler Division" and the "Hayes-Paterno Division"...

An online petition? Get over it.

The division names send a positive message about the past and the future of the conference. A message that everyone in the country will constantly be reminded of any time the B10 is discussed.

I can't wait to buy some Hawkeye Football Legend Division Championship gear.

Forget the historical/geographical names, I liked Steve Deace's idea about capitalizing on the naming rights and making a little more cash for the B10. Almost all the bowls have done it, why not do it within an actual conference....with names that will be heard YEAR ROUND and not just for the week leading up to the bowls? Granted, I don't want to end up with the Velveeta and Rotel divisions, but you know what I mean. Or they should have left it open to change at least. In hindsight, I don't think I would have even cared if they named them the Hayes-Schembechler Divisions.

I think I've got it...

The Ohio State Division

and

The Big12 North, But Better Division...it would make the new guys feel more at home...

All great change in the world occurs via internet petition.

No one in there right mind would ingore the pleading of 1,000 internet malcontents. People who make and sign internet petitions are the people who are important in this country. Delaney knows this and will not ignore it.

I understand that Jo Pa has done a lot of good for the sport but when it comes to naming trophies for the Big Ten I think they should use coaches names from schools that were in the Big Ten from the beginning.