Big Recruiting Weekend

I'm done getting my hopes up about 5 star recruits from out of state. Especially when Brooks and Trayce have blue blood offers closer to home.

'19 Trayce Jackson-Davis 5*
'19 Patrick McCaffery 4*
'19 Joe Toussaint 3*
'20 Xavier Foster 5*

I bet Fran lands 2 of the 4 guys in this list....

I'm done getting my hopes up about 5 star recruits from out of state. Especially when Brooks and Trayce have blue blood offers closer to home.

I bet Fran lands 2 of the 4 guys in this list....
Well PM and Toussaint are fairly safe guesses at this point. PM is a foregone conclusion. I would love either Jackson-Davis or Brooks. Brooks is a program changer borderline one and done guy. Foster as well but my hopes aren't up with landing any of them. It's like asking for a Pony for Xmas but getting one of those rocking chair ones instead. That seems to be how things go for us in recruiting.
Fran gets a lot of heat over the results of recruiting and that's fair. But it's those that criticize him over trying to get 5 star kids that I fail to understand. I'd much rather he try and fail than to not have tried. To say shoot for 3 star kids we can get instead and not 'waste' time trying on the 5 stars is nuts. Because that's like saying your just fine and dandy with Iowa finishing 7th or lower in the standings or barely making the dance if at all. That's not me. Shoot for the 5 star program changers and try to hit the programs ceiling and go down swinging.

I'm pretty confident he will get at least 1 of the four. Who knows what is going through these guys minds. Iowa is a great place to live and the University is also great. There are guys that are going to be attracted to the Iowa lifestyle.

The feeling is that Fran wanted Joe in first, so he had a chance to commit first, they would then cancel the other two visits. It makes sense that you get the guy you want the most in first, so if he wants to commit, then you are good to go with the guy you want.

I also agree that we have a better shot with Foster, as Carton wasn't a fan like Foster is. I'd say that if he had offers like Carton did that we could land him. The problem is Foster already has a blue blood offer, and even more might come.

this is what i'm hearing, too. and, of the 3, i like that TJ is most like a floor general, which i believe what iowa neeeeds in a pg. plus, he's quick and has handles and he has lateral quickness. he sort of reminds me of the pg at UM the past couple years (Robinson, i think) in that he'll never be a 1st option scorer, but he'll have the perimeter quicks to stablize our off/def.

Here is an article on TJD about his upcoming visit. Sounds like he enjoyed his unofficial visit last year.
That's more encouraging than discouraging anyway... Safe to say he's undecided anyway. Indiana probably looks at him as a must get kid too. Getting him would for sure be a 2 fold great thing not only would he be playing for us but not them or maybe MSU...

I wonder if he really thinks Patrick is under rated? That's a good thing if he does. It's good that Patrick is better than we think, and it's good that other good recruits think Patrick is a difference maker.

I doubt if Foster commits this weekend since he has another year left, but it sounds by what Frans says that he is pretty confident about his coming to Iowa. If Jackson-Davis did come to Iowa he would get a lot of national attention. He would be playing with a very experienced group.

I would hope to get top defensive mind player who likes to rebound. Somebody who plays mind games with opposing bigs and not to be afraid to sacrifice his body for the sake of getting the second chances and any point by him has to be a bonus for us! 6'7" and 210 lbs would do just great! I'm thinking of Dennis Rodman type of player.

I have always liked getting coach's sons. They are typically ahead of other players when it comes to basketball IQ and fundamentals. I feel the same way about Fran's sons. Having the inside track on a given player doesn't diminish the player's talent, skills, etc.
I agreed.

I have always liked getting coach's sons. They are typically ahead of other players when it comes to basketball IQ and fundamentals. I feel the same way about Fran's sons. Having the inside track on a given player doesn't diminish the player's talent, skills, etc.
How under rated was Doug McDermott? I mean wth.. Not that he'd have played for anyone other than either Jacobson at UNI or his Dad at Creighton like he ended up doing but he could have played for anybody anywhere and pretty early on..

How under rated was Doug McDermott? I mean wth.. Not that he'd have played for anyone other than either Jacobson at UNI or his Dad at Creighton like he ended up doing but he could have played for anybody anywhere and pretty early on..

If PMAC had McDermott's size and still moved as well he would probably be a top 20 kid. Thing is he is very skinny. Which means he needs strength and conditioning for at least a couple years. That is what separates the top 20 from say the top 50. The skill and the man body.