Big Recruiting Weekend

deanvogs

So right now Fran has two 5* kids, a 4* commit and a 3* kid visiting the weekend of Sept 7th.

'19 Trayce Jackson-Davis 5*
'19 Patrick McCaffery 4*
'19 Joe Toussaint 3*
'20 Xavier Foster 5*

Does Fran have all his eggs in this basket? Not that this is a bad thing, but I'm sure Fran will know better where they stand with Toussaint that weekend and will probably push for a commit. Jackson-Davis is a long shot, so I'm not sure what the strategy is there. I think Foster is just like DJ Carton, in that Fran just simply has to try to recruit him til the bitter end. Hopefully since Foster is actually an Iowa fan, he can sway him, but it is probably a long shot.

I'd say we have a slightly better chance with Foster than we did with Carton as XF is an Iowa kid who stated he likes the Hawks whereas Carton was just an Iowa transplant who went out of his way to say he wasn't from Iowa while the whole process was going on. But there's only a slightly better chance at that when you're talking about Kansas and Duke being in the picture.

With Toussaint, aren't Greenlee and Collins also scheduled to visit later in September? Would they push for a commitment with those guys already having scheduled their visits or how does that work?

I'd say we have a slightly better chance with Foster than we did with Carton as XF is an Iowa kid who stated he likes the Hawks whereas Carton was just an Iowa transplant who went out of his way to say he wasn't from Iowa while the whole process was going on. But there's only a slightly better chance at that when you're talking about Kansas and Duke being in the picture.

With Toussaint, aren't Greenlee and Collins also scheduled to visit later in September? Would they push for a commitment with those guys already having scheduled their visits or how does that work?

The feeling is that Fran wanted Joe in first, so he had a chance to commit first, they would then cancel the other two visits. It makes sense that you get the guy you want the most in first, so if he wants to commit, then you are good to go with the guy you want.

I also agree that we have a better shot with Foster, as Carton wasn't a fan like Foster is. I'd say that if he had offers like Carton did that we could land him. The problem is Foster already has a blue blood offer, and even more might come.

So right now Fran has two 5* kids, a 4* commit and a 3* kid visiting the weekend of Sept 7th.

'19 Trayce Jackson-Davis 5*
'19 Patrick McCaffery 4*
'19 Joe Toussaint 3*
'20 Xavier Foster 5*

Does Fran have all his eggs in this basket? Not that this is a bad thing, but I'm sure Fran will know better where they stand with Toussaint that weekend and will probably push for a commit. Jackson-Davis is a long shot, so I'm not sure what the strategy is there. I think Foster is just like DJ Carton, in that Fran just simply has to try to recruit him til the bitter end. Hopefully since Foster is actually an Iowa fan, he can sway him, but it is probably a long shot.

Maybe send him a text every other day. Results will probably remain the same.....

The days of recruits like Woody and JoeW being Hawk fans from birth are over.....

:cool:

Hope it works out. We should have a better shot than we ever had with DJ.....

If Fran can't land Toussaint, well I just don't know what to say about that. :confused:

We should jump on JoeT. Anytime a highlight video focuses on player passing skills that means that he is very good at distributing the ball quickly and efficiently, at which Joe does appear to be quite expert.....

Sign him now, if possible. He is still under the radar a bit, right now.....

We really need players who can smack those Penn St thugs silly, knock them on their ass.....

Smash that Buckeye who taunted the Hawkeye bench at Carver into slumberland.....

People are going to complain one way or another about the PG thing. I hope we bring one of these kids in and continue to recruit the 2020 PGs we are in on.

The guys I would like to see set up visits are Zeke Nnaji and Malik Hall. Think are chances are slightly better, while still fairly slim, there.

With XF, the longer he goes without committing to Iowa I would say the worse shape we are in, but I don’t know his timeline.

For a team coming off as rough of a year as we had even getting these types of kids to officially visit is a good sign... I would like to think that being in on as many kids of this caliber that the allure of them teaming up together should be there. I really really like Keion Brooks. That kid is a slashing scorer with a jumper. Landing him along with any combination of those other guys could be really really huge for us.

For a team coming off as rough of a year as we had even getting these types of kids to officially visit is a good sign... I would like to think that being in on as many kids of this caliber that the allure of them teaming up together should be there. I really really like Keion Brooks. That kid is a slashing scorer with a jumper. Landing him along with any combination of those other guys could be really really huge for us.
I'll bet you $10,000 we don't get him. :)

Brooks paid to visit Iowa unofficially so there is thought to be some interest there. He is a 5 Star kid and appears to be quite the longshot at this point. Most think he’s going to play for Izzo at MSU.

There has been some talk about him wanting to play with his AAU teammate Trayce Jackson-Davis, and Iowa is one of the few schools in on both guys. Jackson-Davis is a heavy Indiana lean according to experts.

Without looking it up, I'm assuming Patrick has been around these 5 star guys at some camps and that's probably a reason they're visiting. Am I wrong?

Without looking it up, I'm assuming Patrick has been around these 5 star guys at some camps and that's probably a reason they're visiting. Am I wrong?
From what I’ve read, Iowa and particularly Andrew Francis has been recruiting them for a long time and formed strong relationships. Don’t think Pat has much to do with it.

Well Brooks we've been in on for awhile. One of our assistants (can't remember which one off the top of my head) has had a good relationship with him for years now and how he was able to get him to visit unofficially awhile back on his own dime. I can't remember if either of them had played with PM or not on the AAU circuit. PM hasn't had the best of luck at recruiting any more than his Dad so far...

From what I’ve read, Iowa and particularly Andrew Francis has been recruiting them for a long time and formed strong relationships. Don’t think Pat has much to do with it.
Thanks I couldn't remember which assistant it was. But yeah that's what I thought too as far as PMs involvement has been. He was trying like crazy with Carton and others with no fruits to his labor as of yet.

So, does anyone know if PMac played with these guys?
Pmac played AAU with Zeke Nnaji this summer. He has some interest in the Hawks but no visit scheduled as far as I know.

He has certainly been at the same camps as some of these premier guys and the guys listed above. They know who he is and he’s undoubtedly been pushing the Hawks. I don’t think that’s really the driving factor here from everything I’ve gathered.