Big Plays from RB missing

Vanished--literally--into thin air

giphy.gif

Iowa always lacks skill position talent. Thus it struggles vs teams that have such assets.

If you were a highly recruited skill position player would your first choice be Kirk Ball?

There's your answer.

If I could choose for Saturday would be Sargeant and Young playing, and I'd go predominately with who was having the best day for the most part.

I don't see the pop or the speed in Martin. Sure he's a great kid, but the other 2 seem a bit better to me when I watch.

None of our backs have speed, none are a threat to break a long run, period. Young runs with his head down, Sergeant has quickness and is tough to bring down, but no break away speed, and the same for Martin, except he is constantly hurt. None are a threat in the receiving game. We miss Wadley, as he could catch the ball and make people miss, and had enough speed to break a long one at any time. He had to be accounted for every single play.

More Sargent, less IKM and save Toren for the last 20 minutes of games when we have a lead and want to pound the defense into submission (not that there have been many of those the last few weeks).

Wadley was a threat anytime he got the ball. If Wadley were still on the roster Iowa's 3 running backs would all be backups. I did like what I was seeing at the end of the year with Sargent and Young. Hopefully this is a breakout year for them.

Sargent caught 4 passes for 33 yards and IKM caught 2 for 21 against Purdue.

But, yes, none of the RBs are a threat in the receiving game.

Add to that the fact that Sargent was new to the system, which no doubt limited his catches, even more than it limited how much he ran the ball.

Last edited:
It's not just physical for backs either... The ones that run with their eyes and have vision to make the quick cuts or anticipate a hole opening and hit it fast is also a big skill. Too many plays our RBs ran into the backs of O lineman with a hole/cutback lane available...

Going back and looking at the RB recruits we've brought aboard over the last 15 years is an eye opener. The vast majority are names that contributed little if anything. Those that did show promise had short stints with us for a variety of reasons........Lewis, Coker, Greene, Garmon, Hampton, Wegher, etc. Albert Young might have been one of the exceptions.

Why we can't land some notables at RB is second only to the WR dilemma in my mind. Hopefully G. Williams will set a new trend.

Going back and looking at the RB recruits we've brought aboard over the last 15 years is an eye opener. The vast majority are names that contributed little if anything. Those that did show promise had short stints with us for a variety of reasons........Lewis, Coker, Greene, Garmon, Hampton, Wegher, etc. Albert Young might have been one of the exceptions.

Why we can't land some notables at RB is second only to the WR dilemma in my mind. Hopefully G. Williams will set a new trend.
It’s been said many times over. The lack of skill position talent under kf will be the biggest head scratcher about his legacy followed by his lack of interest in challenging his team with a real schedule

Latest posts