Big Plays from RB missing

ibahawkeye

I think most agree that we like our trio of RBs but we’re missing the explosive plays that Wadley brought as both a rusher or receiver.

This year we’ve been much more explosive in the passing game but it sure doesn’t seem like we’ve had very many touches by RBs resulting in 20 plus yards or a long TD.

Admittedly I didn’t look at the numbers but I’d be curious comparing the number of 20 plus yard plays that Wadley made compared to the backs this year.

I think most agree that we like our trio of RBs but we’re missing the explosive plays that Wadley brought as both a rusher or receiver.

This year we’ve been much more explosive in the passing game but it sure doesn’t seem like we’ve had very many touches by RBs resulting in 20 plus yards or a long TD.

Admittedly I didn’t look at the numbers but I’d be curious comparing the number of 20 plus yard plays that Wadley made compared to the backs this year.
I remember something about Wadley's numbers being affected by the change in the passing game as well. As bad as GD's route tree it was, it did actually spread the defense horizontally, which meant there were fewer chances for defenders to make the play at the second and third level. As a result, Wadley's runs last year that may have been touchdowns were kept to 10 and 15 yard gains, coupled with less continuity on the OL.

Yeah but our backs don't need to put on weight and no one is doing pseudo high-stepping celebrations into the endzone.

Kirk is pleased.

From what I have seen is IKM is the only current guy getting minutes that had any type of break away speed, and he has been hampered and has not played a lot. The other two while good are missing that second step explosion when they get to next level of the defense, but also to be fair I cannot remember a recent play where there was the opportunity to break one. To me the current group of backs run for contact and like the contact which isn't really a bad thing just a different style of play.

Nobody has gotten a 100 yards in a game, correct??
Who has the longi run this season? How many yards was it?

It's been a frustrating season for our running game. Our line just isn't run blocking very well. Polasek needs to be replaced after this season.

It's been a frustrating season for our running game. Our line just isn't run blocking very well. Polasek needs to be replaced after this season.
With what he has to work with, if he can't help them to become pretty much the best in the entire conference next year, I would tend to agree with you.
That said, the group needs to take it upon themselves as well. OL used to be a point of pride in the program.

Toren Young is the only IA RB thus far with any single run over 30 yards .....he has one run over 30 but less than 40 and one over 40 but less than 50. Both in non-conference play.

FWIW..........ISU's Montgomery has had only 1 carry over 30 yards for the season. WI's Taylor has 12 of which 7 are over 40 yards. Reggie Corbin / IL has some off the chart numbers.........has 33 runs over 30 yards, 17 of them are over 50 and a 9.1 average per carry based on 105 carries YTD, very impressive. Leads the nation in 80+, 70+, 60+, 50+ yard runs. BTN Player of the Week last week.

well, honestly they don't get many reps individually.
15 carries at 5 ypc is 75 yards. So 14 and one decent break loose run should be 100.
I'm not saying they are getting tons of reps, rather I'm saying nobody has proven or maximized the reps given them. How do you go all offseaoff- and get this far into the season and nobody stands out or separates themselves??

We sure could use Higdon or Benjamin, considering we don't have a complete back on our roster. Not one of our backs is a threat to break a long one.

We sure could use Higdon or Benjamin, considering we don't have a complete back on our roster. Not one of our backs is a threat to break a long one.

Eno would be hitting the spot right about now.

Wadley was a once in a generation RB for Iowa. We are back to normal Iowa style RBs', which is not a bad thing. I always thought Wadley didn't quite get the love he deserved.

Latest posts