Big 12 taps the breaks on Longhorn Network's high school football coverage

BYU was hoping for an invite last year from the Big 12 according to multiple sources, just google BYU and the Big 12. Oh and google Notre Dame and the Big 12, there has already been discussions there.

BleacherReport and Fanblogs hardly constitute as solid, credible sources.

BYU was hoping for an invite last year from the Big 12 according to multiple sources, just google BYU and the Big 12. Oh and google Notre Dame and the Big 12, there has already been discussions there.

Why don't you link an article other than the Bleacher Report that shows Notre Dame had discussions about joining the Big 12.

If the Big 12 wants BYU, they will be there in a heartbeat. As for ND, you never know.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

tumblr_lagz0r8o111qb1y7ao1_400.jpg

I think Missouri would leave if offered. Also if aTm leaves it starts a chain reaction that who knows where it would end.

I know ISU depends on UT but I don't understand why you guys just can't be honest with yourselves and admit that other schools don't need or want to be Texas' beotches. Also that it is a distinct possibility that the conference might be done for.
A/M doesn't necessarilly need Texas, but they need the Big 12. They go to the SEC and they can kiss winning goodbye.

BOOM: ESPN radio Austin is reporting that ESPN has approached Texas to rebrand LHN and make it the Big 12 Network.

Dodds is said to be considering the deal for multiple reasons....#1 reason, TAMU walking to the SEC. #2 Reason, LHN isn't on a single provider.

BOOM: ESPN radio Austin is reporting that ESPN has approached Texas to rebrand LHN and make it the Big 12 Network.

Dodds is said to be considering the deal for multiple reasons....#1 reason, TAMU walking to the SEC. #2 Reason, LHN isn't on a single provider.

do you have a link to this? Want to post it elsewhere but want to post a link.

Here are the only 2 (imo) unbiased (arguably) reputable links on the first 2 pages when searching 'Big 12 expansion +byu" Neither really point to the fact that BYU would jump at the opportunity if asked.

Poll results: Big 12 expansion? - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

The Cougars sound pretty committed to independence, and have a TV deal of their own with ESPN, but they'd definitely have to take a long look at committing to a league if the Big 12 wanted it. It'd be a big move geographically -- Air Force is in Colorado and BYU is in Utah -- but if it came down to it, inviting both of these programs would be a solid move.

Houston, BYU won't tempt Big 12 to expand; more Mailbag - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

If you've ever been to BYU, you know its second-class characterization is completely ridiculous. In terms of facilities, resources and fan support, BYU more closely resembles a BCS program than half the schools in BCS conferences. However, the LDS-affiliated school is unquestionably a unique institution. It's an unofficial Mailbag policy not to delve into politics (college football is polarizing enough as it is), but I invite you to read this excellent piece by Salt Lake Tribune columnist Gordon Monson about why BYU could never "fit" with the Pac-10.
But Big 12 presidents might not have the same objections. BYU's one obvious drawback to the conference is that with Colorado gone, BYU really is nowhere near any of the other 10 members, and it's got no logical travel partner. Some have thrown out Air Force, but realistically, a service academy is never going to be able to compete on an annual basis with Texas and Oklahoma. As of now, it's not an issue, because like I said, the Big 12 isn't looking for new teams.
There's one scenario where I could see that stance changing, though: If, come 2012 or '13, Texas and Oklahoma run into problems with the BCS due to their watered-down league. Up until now, the Big 12 has always been viewed on the same playing field with the Big Ten and SEC, and its schools were virtually assured a spot in the championship game if they took care of business. Its teams have made seven appearances in 12 years. But we don't yet know how the pollsters will treat this new conference. Will the 'Horns and Sooners still get the benefit of the doubt due to their recent track record, or will they be penalized for perceived weak conference competition? If it becomes a problem, then maybe a call goes out to BYU and TCU.

Read more: Houston, BYU won't tempt Big 12 to expand; more Mailbag - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

Last edited:
With A/M in the conference, this kind of thing is going to come up every off-season. If they leave, I think a lot of problems follow them out the door.

First it was all Nebraska's fault, now A&M is the issue? You sound like a battered women blaming their POS wife beating husband. Hate to break it to you clone fans, but your pimp Texas is the problem.

[/B]

First it was all Nebraska's fault, now A&M is the issue? You sound like a battered women blaming their POS wife beating husband. Hate to break it to you clone fans, but your pimp Texas is the problem.

Did I ever say Nebraska was the problem? Do you know how the Aggies and Longhorns treat each other? No? Exactly.

Is Texas a problem? You bet. This is what happens when a program gets too much power. But A/M has the worst little brother syndrome in the country, and its not even close. The SEC sees them as a gate into Texas for their schools, and A/M fans are so blinded by hatred they can't see that their team will be in a pool with a bunch of great whites. I believe this is still a negotiating tactic, though.

From what it sounds like, the Big 12 is aware of all these issues, and there will be a resolution. The Big 12 is still going through the feeling out process of the new league, so I see this as another hurdle. Could collapse happen? Sure, but I think if they didn't want to be here they would have left last summer. This is the type of brinkmanship that has to get done when one team has too much power. If A/M can get some of their demands, this will work out better for the Big 12.

As for UT going independent, I do not think that will happen, by the simple fact that no one wants to buy the Longhorn Network. They would submarine a major revenue stream if they did this, and the Regents won't go for that. That atheltic department gives back record revenue to the school every year, adn tey are only looking to give back more, not less under the new Big 12.

It still won't work, the next thing everyone will be arguing over is the amount of air time shown to each university. A&M and Oklahoma will get ****** that 80% of the air time is focused on Texas and will claim it is still a recruiting advantage and Texas will want that for getting this up and running.

Latest posts