Big 12 taps the breaks on Longhorn Network's high school football coverage

I take this to mean that the talk of A&M and Oklahoma bolting the conference was very real and possible.

Them threatening to leave I believe was real. Actually leaving is another thing. OU needs to be in the same conference as UT. It is their biggest rival, and how they draw in top recruits. Go to the SEC, and recruiting becomes tougher. In addition to that they are playing in BCS bowls 2 out of 3 years. That will not happen in the SEC.

And A/M going is laughable. They might beat Vanderbilt. A/M has the most delusional and ignorant college fanbase in the nation. I wish they would go, and the Big 12 snatched up BYU.

Them threatening to leave I believe was real. Actually leaving is another thing. OU needs to be in the same conference as UT. It is their biggest rival, and how they draw in top recruits. Go to the SEC, and recruiting becomes tougher. In addition to that they are playing in BCS bowls 2 out of 3 years. That will not happen in the SEC.

And A/M going is laughable. They might beat Vanderbilt. A/M has the most delusional and ignorant college fanbase in the nation. I wish they would go, and the Big 12 snatched up BYU.

First, they can easily schedule this game as an out of conference regular match up. Out of conference rivalries are played all the time so this isn't a big deal. Add to that, more than likely Texas is going to end up independent in 5-10 years anyway so they will be able to schedule whoever they want. OU and Texas will play regardless of conferences.

First, they can easily schedule this game as an out of conference regular match up. Out of conference rivalries are played all the time so this isn't a big deal. Add to that, more than likely Texas is going to end up independent in 5-10 years anyway so they will be able to schedule whoever they want. OU and Texas will play regardless of conferences.
Teh rumors I have heard from Sooner faithful(their version of Chris Williams and Jon Miller) is that they couldn't find a carrier for their won network, so they are currently in discussion with other Big 12 schools not named UT. This could lead to a Big 12 channel, but Fox is the only realistic option for the carrier. I think ESPN made a huge mistake investing that much money in one school, but they will not want a competing network in that region, thats for sure.

Wow, you really believe OU needs to be in the Big 12 to get top recruits? Because playing teams like LSU, Florida, Alabama, Auburn won't cut it like playing Texas?

Also how do you know they won't win the SEC 2 out of 3 years or go to BCS Bowls? Oklahoma would do just fine in the SEC and would hold their own.

Wow, you really believe OU needs to be in the Big 12 to get top recruits? Because playing teams like LSU, Florida, Alabama, Auburn won't cut it like playing Texas?

Also how do you know they won't win the SEC 2 out of 3 years or go to BCS Bowls? Oklahoma would do just fine in the SEC and would hold their own.
This.

And this whole "You have to play Texas teams to get recruits out of Texas" is a bunch of BS. We've been getting players out of there since the Big 8 days, and we got 4 recruits out of Texas last year, including 3 of their top 100. Guess what, we won't be playing scheduled games against Texas schools in that God forsaken state anymore, at least not in the near future.

This.

And this whole "You have to play Texas teams to get recruits out of Texas" is a bunch of BS. We've been getting players out of there since the Big 8 days, and we got 4 recruits out of Texas last year, including 3 of their top 100. Guess what, we won't be playing scheduled games against Texas schools in that God forsaken state anymore, at least not in the near future.
The only great recruit you had from Texas last year was Spears, who wasn't recruited by any local BCS AQs. Texas kids are raised to believe their state is the best, and it is harder for teams to pry the top prospects out of their state. OU is the best at it right now, but they are regional, and emphasize theri Texas matchups. I really believe OU is ok where they are at right now. That being said, no one in the southern half of the conference was happy with the Longhorn network showing HS games.

The only great recruit you had from Texas last year was Spears, who wasn't recruited by any local BCS AQs. Texas kids are raised to believe their state is the best, and it is harder for teams to pry the top prospects out of their state. OU is the best at it right now, but they are regional, and emphasize theri Texas matchups. I really believe OU is ok where they are at right now. That being said, no one in the southern half of the conference was happy with the Longhorn network showing HS games.

Seriously. Go look at Texas' '12 recruiting class. It's ridiculous how easy it is for them to recruit.

They have 22 recruits and all but 1 are from the state of Texas.

I believe 74hunter is speaking of Nebraska recruits if I'm not mistaking. I for one think its a joke to think Oklahoma can't succeed anywhere they go. They have too much history and a big following.

I wonder what ESPN is thinking about this- they are funding the Network and now 2 of the most attractive things that the Network was going to carry(HS games and B12 Conf games) are a no-no. I wonder whether they have thoughts of backing out.

Depends on how you define sucess. Outside of Florida's dynasty and the USC violations monster, OU is the most successful program in the football nation right now. But that can change quickly. Here is an article to read. It is the first piece of intelligent thought on this latest development this week.

Sports Extra - Blogs - OU leaving the Big 12 over the Longhorn Network would seem a longshot | Tulsa World

The issue here is that there is enough animosity amongst some of the teams down south that if this whole Longhorn Network issue breezes by something else will pop up in a few months and the whole process will start over again. There is genuine dislike between the schools down there and sooner or later one of them is just going to take their ball and go elsewhere.

Seriously. Go look at Texas' '12 recruiting class. It's ridiculous how easy it is for them to recruit.

They have 22 recruits and all but 1 are from the state of Texas.

Exactly. I moved from Iowa to Texas, and would move back to my home state in a heartbeat, but people here are raised to never want to leave, no matter how much the desolation of the western half stretches before them, or how many petrochemical facilities dot the landscape. Texas can wink at a kid and he commits.

Nebraska surpised me with their class last year, but going forward I almost guarantee they will get some Texas players, but they won't be the same caliber as they were in this class.

The issue here is that there is enough animosity amongst some of the teams down south that if this whole Longhorn Network issue breezes by something else will pop up in a few months and the whole process will start over again. There is genuine dislike between the schools down there and sooner or later one of them is just going to take their ball and go elsewhere.
Totally agree, but I think the only team that wants to take their ball and leave right now is A/M, and I think the people who make the decisions are smart enough not to do that. There is a lot of hate between them and Texas. that being said. I think A/M will look like Jerry Maguire, with a whole bunch of people staring at them as they exit. I don't think OU just runs to catch them going out the door. I would rather see A/M leave and the conference add BYU. That would be a win for the contracted Big 12.

With A/M in the conference, this kind of thing is going to come up every off-season. If they leave, I think a lot of problems follow them out the door.

Totally agree, but I think the only team that wants to take their ball and leave right now is A/M, and I think the people who make the decisions are smart enough not to do that. There is a lot of hate between them and Texas. that being said. I think A/M will look like Jerry Maguire, with a whole bunch of people staring at them as they exit. I don't think OU just runs to catch them going out the door. I would rather see A/M leave and the conference add BYU. That would be a win for the contracted Big 12.

With A/M in the conference, this kind of thing is going to come up every off-season. If they leave, I think a lot of problems follow them out the door.

Why would BYU come in? The just went independent and are in the works for their own TV network. They have no need for the Big 12-2.

I think Missouri would leave if offered. Also if aTm leaves it starts a chain reaction that who knows where it would end.

I know ISU depends on UT but I don't understand why you guys just can't be honest with yourselves and admit that other schools don't need or want to be Texas' beotches. Also that it is a distinct possibility that the conference might be done for.

I wonder what ESPN is thinking about this- they are funding the Network and now 2 of the most attractive things that the Network was going to carry(HS games and B12 Conf games) are a no-no. I wonder whether they have thoughts of backing out.
The last I heard is that they still will have a Big 12-2 conf game on the Whorn Network this year.

ESPN is trying to pimp this nextwork HARD, they may just lose money on it, which I think would be hilarious.

Why would BYU come in? The just went independent and are in the works for their own TV network. They have no need for the Big 12-2.
BYU was hoping for an invite last year from the Big 12 according to multiple sources, just google BYU and the Big 12. Oh and google Notre Dame and the Big 12, there has already been discussions there.

The last I heard is that they still will have a Big 12-2 conf game on the Whorn Network this year.

ESPN is trying to pimp this nextwork HARD, they may just lose money on it, which I think would be hilarious.
Not happening according to Beebe

Latest posts