Big 12 getting ready to end Big 10 expansion

If culture and geography are important, why not Iowa State? ISU fits better in the Big 10 regrading both of those categories than either Mizzou or KU do.

Sorry but the only program that that move would benefit would be Minnesota. I don't think the Big Ten's idea of expansion would be bringing in a program to annually compete for conference doormat honors.

I could be wrong but if the Big 10 really wanted to tap into the NYC market I think they would have done it already. Syracuse and Rutgers don't carry much weight in their own conference, except maybe Syracuse ball. I don't see them being a fit in the Big 10.

I think it would have already happened had Delaney snagged Notre Dame. But because ND dragged their feet again the Big Ten just added Nebraska. The only way ND comes here is if they start feeling the pressure to. So it might be a long time before we see additional expansion unless the Big 12 falls apart. Again if that was to happen I would think the Big 10 would have to take a look at Kansas & Missouri.

But it appears the Big 12 is resolving their issues (for now). So the SEC grabbing Big 12 members probably will not happen.

Do the math, it would only end up cost like 1.5 million more than it doesn now. That's a pittance in Athletic budgets that are counted in the tens of millions. BCS schools are all already pulling in many times that just from their TV contracts.

What would really do it would be to get football exempted from title IX by making football completely self-supporting, and therefore not funded or subsidized by the university general fund at all. And these huge TV contracts are getting us there.

You do realize that only 22 Athletic Departments turned a profit in 2010 and only 14 did in 2009?

It isn't nearly as easy as people try to make it out to be.

NCAA: Only 22 Division I Athletic Programs Made Money In 2010

And there really isn't a chance in hell of football getting exempt from title IX, you would have lawsuits up the ying yang.

You do realize that only 22 Athletic Departments turned a profit in 2010 and only 14 did in 2009?

And there really isn't a chance in hell of football getting exempt from title IX, you would have lawsuits up the ying yang.

I said with all the new tv contracts coming out, PLUS the added revenue from a new, DI+ playoff TV contract being spread around, we were coming *closer.*

And you must have skipped over what I said was my main point: They're only talking about adding about $3,000/yr to each scolly, and when you multiply that towards all the scholarship athletes at each school (only a few hundred, including the girls), you get an added cost of a little over $1 million per athletic department. That's pretty much chicken feed to BCS schools, and well worth the price if they can then drop the massive subsidies they are being forced to pay out to all the poor Sunbelt and C-USA schools by going up a division to DI+.

It's never going to happen. Your scheme isn't going to get athletics out from under Title Ix. You're crazy.

Did you actually read the article? 22 Athletic Departments are profitable, but 58% of FBS football programs are. And I bet the percentage of BCS football programs is much, much higher than that, and will probably be hitting close to 100% as the big new B12 and Pac12 (and upcoming BEast) TV contracts come on line.

From the article: The median athletic expense per student FBS athlete is $90,000. Do you really think adding another $3,000 to that would break the bank? Again, don't be so obsessed with Title IX. Even giving the same pay to the girls would only add up to another $1-$2 million per school, which would be a small price to pay to help separate the BCS schools into a new DI+ division from the unpopular loser conferences, and let us finally get a playoff system for the top 64 football programs. The added revenue from a playoff would more than cover that cost anyway.

If you like college football, a new division based around the current BCS membership is the way to go. There's no way you'll ever see a playoff as long as the MAC, Sunbelt, WAC, and CUSA champs get access. They ruin the numbers: they take $ from the pot, but give NOTHING back (take a look at their TV contracts - ha!). The BCS already pays the have-nots $10s of millions for nothing. And as soon as the TV execs see they may get stuck with games featuring the likes of Troy or Liouisiana-Monroe, their bids are going to drop like a rock. But show them a playoff starting with the 4 championship games of 16-team BCS super-conferences, and they'll start salivating.

D1+, the bright future of college football!

I think that there is a problem for Texas going independent that no one has thought about and that is they have no where for their non football programs to go. The LHN has the rights to their second tier programs so what conference would be willing to take the non football programs when they can’t even make any money off of them. That would be a hard sell even for the Big East or Mountain West, and Texas fans would never except them playing in mid major conferences. There fans are under the elution that a major conference would take them which ain’t going to happen.

I think that there is a problem for Texas going independent that no one has thought about and that is they have no where for their non football programs to go. The LHN has the rights to their second tier programs so what conference would be willing to take the non football programs when they can’t even make any money off of them. That would be a hard sell even for the Big East or Mountain West, and Texas fans would never except them playing in mid major conferences. There fans are under the elution that a major conference would take them which ain’t going to happen.

Agreed. The best way for A&M or other B12 schools to screw Tex would be for 4 of the former B12S teams (A&M, OK, OK lite, Tech?) to leave for the Pac-12. The Pac-12 wants to go up to 16 teams, and needs more markets for its new TV networks.

That happens and the scramble is on, and you'd have four 16 team BCS conferences before you know it.

Latest posts