Big 10 Sticking with 1 addition only?

jshawks

Does anyone else get the feeling that the massive realignment that was predicted will not happen? From the way Delaney spoke tonight I got the impression that the Big 10 will be content with the addition of Nebraska. Especially when asked about ND he seemed to reiterate that they were approached but not interested, and that the conference would not consider adding any school that was not a homerun. Nebraska is that. He also commented on the perceived demise of the Big 12 when he said that they could run a conference with 10 teams, which would indicate no Mizzou to the Big 10. Think about it...with the addition of Nebraska the Big 10 gets a nationally recognized power player that is a great fit, stop there and then avert the politically charged fingerpointing that would result from the destruction of the Big12 and Big East. If the Pac 10 decides to go beyond Colorado then Delaney can sit back and rightfully say that it wasn't the Big 10 that destroyed the Big 12.
Delaney is shrewd. He has managed to improve the conference's national stature, but he also recognizes the tradition in college football and does not want to be a part of the organization that gets blamed for destroying the game as we know it today. He knows that much of the Big 10's appeal is it's tradition, tradition that risks going away if the conference were to get too big. Others have speculated that if ND were to join the Big 10 that we stop at 12. I think that may have been the original plan, and all the talk of super conferences was to entice ND to join. Once Nebraska became a player in this scenario it gave Delaney and the Big 10 a worthy replacement for ND, and the Pac 10's reported interest in 6 of the Big 12 teams moved the timeline up. So is realignment done? well I guess the ball is in the Pac 10's court now, but in my humble opinion, if that move is not made...the Big 10 is content at 12.

You make a compelling argument. I think we have to wait and see what happens with the Pac-10. If they go to 16, and the SEC starts to grow, I don't see anyway the Big Ten stops at 12. There is too much money out there for them to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else grow. The Big 10 just doesn't want to be first to act. Someone else can take on the role of the "bad guy"

He also mentioned that they are still on the 18 month time line. I do not think they have stopped looking at least.

They are still looking to add more schools. The only reason Nebraska is joining now is because of the deadline the conference formerly known as the Big XII gave them. JD was already liking everything about Nebraska and didn't want to leave them twisting in the wind so the process was sped up, but only for Nebraska. The rest of the search process will continue as previously planned.

What is interesting is that Texas was behind setting a deadline but they are having a meeting on Tuesday to decide their future. If I heard right the deadline was Monday.

He also mentioned that they are still on the 18 month time line. I do not think they have stopped looking at least.

I agree they have not stopped looking or weighing their options, and wisely so. If the Pac 10 goes to 16 teams or the SEC does likewise, then I think Delaney and the Big 10 will be forced to react and bring in other institutions. However, if the Texas contingent remains in the Big 12 and they choose to operate with either 10 or replace Nebraska and Colorado with 2 other teams I think the Big 10 stands pat.

When the Pac10 takes the texas teams on Tuesday (and possibly Utah or KU to round things out), then the BigTen will continue on with its own master plan for expansion.

I listened very carefully to Delaney. He was asked about when he first was interested in Nebraska,and he said..''21 years ago''...when they were looking at PSU,and a 12th team. He talked about the process then, ie. PSU and then they talked to ND,but ND was not a fit then,and considered Neb...then. He was not saying that ND is not a fit now. He was talking about 21 years ago. I think some fans have mis-interpeted his comments to mean that ND is not a good fit now...not true. He was talking about the last go-around on expansion.

I think Delaney is shrewd and comfortable that he still holds the cards and that other movement will force ND's hand into the league, if not this year,then next. Then the final addition becomes simple...Rutgers or MD will leap at a shot.

I also think that Delanaey does not want the Big Ten to be painted as the instigator of a massive breakup of conferences, just the benevolent giant considering suitors that approach them. He has no need to overplay his hand right now. It will play out for him.

I agree with the posters stating that if the PAC 10-Texas thing happens all bets are off and Delaney will have to work fast and from that point on to do whatever it is he is trying to do. New reports on SI are saying it could happen by the end of the weekend now...who knows though. Texas changes everything and they will truly decide the fate of college football now. It went from ND controlling the football world's fate to Texas holding it now. If they don't leave and stay in the Big 12 then I think this is where it ends for now.

Last edited:
You make a compelling argument. I think we have to wait and see what happens with the Pac-10. If they go to 16, and the SEC starts to grow, I don't see anyway the Big Ten stops at 12. There is too much money out there for them to sit on the sidelines and watch everyone else grow. The Big 10 just doesn't want to be first to act. Someone else can take on the role of the "bad guy"

One thought in my mind comes up, if they continue to expand, less money for all the schools to receive each after the money is divided 12 ways, and not 11.

One thought in my mind comes up, if they continue to expand, less money for all the schools to receive each after the money is divided 12 ways, and not 11.

Except that the pie will get bigger, so individual shares will increase. That's why the strong consideration for what market areas are added if a particular school comes on board.

Ah yes, but...how quickly do you think the entire state of Nebraska will be hooked up with BTN? There won't be less money because their own network will continue to grow as the conference grows.

One only? IMHO, absolutely not; too much revenue out there for the taking by the BTN, aka the conference universities.

In today's university economics, the sports programs must be able to support themselves, see the $1.6MM short fall made up by the state at ISU. Not only self sustaining, but now the athletic income will even be called on to help with revenue streams, both direct and indirect support, for the school's general funds.

IMO, it is the only way, we will continue to get our college sports fix as we know it today. The politicians and regents are beginning to figure this out.

I listened very carefully to Delaney. He was asked about when he first was interested in Nebraska,and he said..''21 years ago''...when they were looking at PSU,and a 12th team. He talked about the process then, ie. PSU and then they talked to ND,but ND was not a fit then,and considered Neb...then. He was not saying that ND is not a fit now. He was talking about 21 years ago. I think some fans have mis-interpeted his comments to mean that ND is not a good fit now...not true. He was talking about the last go-around on expansion.

I think Delaney is shrewd and comfortable that he still holds the cards and that other movement will force ND's hand into the league, if not this year,then next. Then the final addition becomes simple...Rutgers or MD will leap at a shot.

I also think that Delanaey does not want the Big Ten to be painted as the instigator of a massive breakup of conferences, just the benevolent giant considering suitors that approach them. He has no need to overplay his hand right now. It will play out for him.

Yes. "We may act, and act again..."

Latest posts