BIG 10 Conference Vastly Overrated, AGAIN!

MelroseHawkins

We are now seeing this on an annual basis. Well, I'm not buying into it next year. Each year the BIG 10 is observed as being the best league in the nation. Bullshit. I think the league is way overrated. Iowa for example, finished 3rd in the league and is lacking in athleticism compared to most teams in the tournament. Oregon won the Pack 12 and was a 7 seed for gawd sakes. Ohio St was mediocre but one of the top teams in the league. Illinois showed it was very average. Michigan most likely won't go far. These are the top teams in the BIG 10 league.

Again, much goes back to team athleticism. Look at many of the teams in the tourney. Loyola's coach probably scouts opponents the best. Dana Altman is obviously a great coach. I'm never going to buy into the hype again that The BIG is king. Never.

We are now seeing this on an annual basis. Well, I'm not buying into it next year. Each year the BIG 10 is observed as being the best league in the nation. Bullshit. I think the league is way overrated. Iowa for example, finished 3rd in the league and is lacking in athleticism compared to most teams in the tournament. Oregon won the Pack 12 and was a 7 seed for gawd sakes. Ohio St was mediocre but one of the top teams in the league. Illinois showed it was very average. Michigan most likely won't go far. These are the top teams in the BIG 10 league.

Again, much goes back to team athleticism. Look at many of the teams in the tourney. Loyola's coach probably scouts opponents the best. Dana Altman is obviously a great coach. I'm never going to buy into the hype again that The BIG is king. Never.
The biggest thing to remember is that it's mostly impossible to compare conferences because the members of each one only play themselves.

I mentioned in the game thread that even though Kenpom, Sagarin, and NET are probably the best measuring tools we have, they are still hindered by the fact that they can't make a substantive comparison between say, the B1G and PAC12 because those teams never play each other.

The biggest thing to remember is that it's mostly impossible to compare conferences because the members of each one only play themselves.

I mentioned in the game thread that even though Kenpom, Sagarin, and NET are probably the best measuring tools we have, they are still hindered by the fact that they can't make a substantive comparison between say, the B1G and PAC12 because those teams never play each other.

Exactly. It really shows when they face off in this kind of tournament, though. Hell, Loyola may be one of the best "teams" in the thing. They way they game plan, play as a team. An obviously great coach. I watched a segment on them and the coach really scouts other teams and has all these posters on the team walls showing what they want to accomplish defensively before playing teams.

The B1G seems to be a big man driven league whereas the tournament is guard driven. Gotta have have quick, athletic guards that can score and defend if you want to accomplish anything

ehh... 1 and done tournaments and a full grind of a conference season are completely different things.

Hard to judge.

Yeah, they are, but Drake won one of three against Loyola and I suspect that if Illinois played them in a three game set they would have the same win %. Iowa would be lucky to beat Oregon 1 out of 5 times.

Yeah, they are, but Drake won one of three against Loyola and I suspect that if Illinois played them in a three game set they would have the same win %. Iowa would be lucky to beat Oregon 1 out of 5 times.

maybe... but its hard to tell from one game...

We've been crushed by a team then beat them later... basketball is suck a fickle game.

ehh... 1 and done tournaments and a full grind of a conference season are completely different things.

Hard to judge.
I heard they were the Pack 12 champs. Was that the tournament or the conference champs? I personally put more emphasis on the yearly conference season over one tournament.

I heard they were the Pack 12 champs. Was that the tournament or the conference champs? I personally put more emphasis on the yearly conference season over one tournament.
Ducks were 14-4, regular season conference champs.
Pac12 is a power 5/6 conf.
Oregon should have been a 2 or 3 seed at worst.

Most fans and media don't watch Pac12 or WCC or WAC bball because games are late.
No non-conf tournaments before XMas did mess with seeding this year

Ducks were 14-4, regular season conference champs.
Pac12 is a power 5/6 conf.
Oregon should have been a 2 or 3 seed at worst.

Most fans and media don't watch Pac12 or WCC or WAC bball because games are late.
No non-conf tournaments before XMas did mess with seeding this year
This!

Oregon was under seeded, plus they got extra rest, meanwhile, we are in a conference that beats the shit out of each other. In retrospect, was the B10 over rated? Yes, they were. But PAC12 was seriously under rated as the NCAA tourney is proving out. Not surprised, the talking heads are as accurate as the local weather person. Actually, the weather person is probably a bit more accurate all things considered.

The Big 10 plays half basketball and half football/wrestling combo. When the big dance starts many of these other teams come in playing quick, speedy positional defense and the Big 10 teams cant grind them down.

Actually it is nice to see some of these other teams play a high level of good positional basketball without all the dribbling.

The Big 10 plays half basketball and half football/wrestling combo. When the big dance starts many of these other teams come in playing quick, speedy positional defense and the Big 10 teams cant grind them down.

Actually it is nice to see some of these other teams play a high level of good positional basketball without all the dribbling.
I saw at least two B1G post players (Luka on Saturday, Myles Johnson last night) miss several bunnies because they WEREN'T getting hammered.

They are so used to getting pummeled in conference games that it throws them off when teams simply play positional post D on them.

There should forever be an ** next to Oregon’s elevation to the Sweet Sixteen. First team ever to get there with one victory.

Saw this somewhere else (maybe just looking for excuses....)

Did all the Big10 teams stay in Indianapolis from Big10 Tourney??
Today would have been day 12 for Iowa I believe.
Was that extended isolation/Covid protocal existence a negative for Big10 teams?

The polls go by what the Big did non-conference. The Big was the best conference in the non-conference hands down. The constant beating each other up in the Big reg. season apparently doesn’t make a team better. I thought the tough conference would bolster the players but that was not the case. The team playing the best, Michigan is the team who played the least games. Something for the Big to think about.