Bielema touts A.J. Derby

Not true. I thought he needed to move to LB or TE. I think some other posters on here said the same. Please dig a little deeper before making bold statements like that in the future.

4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg

I wish Derby would have stayed at Iowa. With his size he could have made an awesome LB. I think he was around 230 @6.3 when he was here. Kind of small for a TE though.

If you had to wager. Who is more likely to become the next HC at Iowa. Biels or Br'Fer?

At this point, it's tough to make that call. Most of my friends who are Iowa fans, and myself included, would not ever want to see Bielema as the head coach here. I think he lacks integrity, and integrity is an important asset to most Iowans. He has been successful, and you could certainly argue that his resume is where it needs to be. I just don't like the guy quite honestly.

As far as BF goes... that just depends on how things play out the next few years. I think he'll have a very good shot at the HC position if Iowa can string together a few more successful seasons under his Dad. If Kirk steps down on his own accord then I think that would leave things in line for Brian to take over. If Kirk is let go because of a lack of success then I think that would make it pretty difficult for Brian to get the nod. He's probably very well aware of that. While it isn't necessarily fair, he kind of hitched his horse to his Dad's wagon by coming back to Iowa to work for him.

So to answer your question, if I had to wager between Bielema and BF I'd take BF.

Don't be surprised if the pull of some upsets, win the SEC West, and get a berth in the playoffs in B's second season.

I wish Derby would have stayed at Iowa. With his size he could have made an awesome LB. I think he was around 230 @6.3 when he was here. Kind of small for a TE though.

I must say I was very excited when word came that AJ had moved to LB, and thought our LB'ing core was gonna be beast (although It turned out to be a tremendous trio-and things worked out just fine for us).

I don't fault AJ for leaving to pursue his dream of playing QB; but one has to wonder if the postion change after the window incident didn't leave a bad taste in his mouth.

In regards to Derby, I don't feel right saying anything other than good for him. I can't blame the kid for wanting to give QB his best shot. In hindsight, it appears the Iowa coaches were correct all along in trying to get him to switch positions, and AJ was apparently very stubborn about it.

I thought he'd wind up as an Iowa TE, but they also had a great option at LB. I think he could have grown into an NFL prospect TE at Iowa but I agree, it's his life and he wanted to take every shot at QB.

Not sure that I can see Iowa hiring someone with no prior college (or HS) head coaching experience in BF. At this point, he hasn't even been a coordinator.

When Kirk retires, Iowa could do a LOT worse than BB. I like how brash he is an unapologetic for kicking your teeth in when he has the horses. His style will struggle in the SEC IMO..but at Iowa, he'd be just fine.

When Kirk retires, Iowa could do a LOT worse than BB. I like how brash he is an unapologetic for kicking your teeth in when he has the horses. His style will struggle in the SEC IMO..but at Iowa, he'd be just fine.

This is where I'm at too. I don't recall any major infractions with Brett at Wiscy, he recruited well, sent linemen to the pros (something Iowa has become known for), molded talent, was aggressive/took risks, and was very competitive. Bert and his assistants just didn't get paid there. I don't blame him for leaving. I would take him at Iowa.

With all that said; although he lacks the "experience", Brian F (BriFer?) seems to have the charisma, the football knowledge, and understands the Iowa way. I think he'd be able to have success too. How much? Perhaps someday we'll see.

This is where I'm at too. I don't recall any major infractions with Brett at Wiscy, he recruited well, sent linemen to the pros (something Iowa has become known for), molded talent, was aggressive/took risks, and was very competitive. Bert and his assistants just didn't get paid there. I don't blame him for leaving. I would take him at Iowa.

With all that said; although he lacks the "experience", Brian F (BriFer?) seems to have the charisma, the football knowledge, and understands the Iowa way. I think he'd be able to have success too. How much? Perhaps someday we'll see.

I have to admit, as a fan, I have never considered charisma all that important when picking a coach. Maybe because i have too many co-workers who were unfocused goof-offs when they needed to shut up and focus on their work. But i don't like the ******* types either who have an intense focus but who have a quick temper and speak their mind too much.

But hey the times are changing, I guess. I need to get used to the media savvy coach who can behave himself in public. The Mike Stoops, Bo Pelinis and Bret Beliemas with the quick temper but focused intensity generally dont last long in one place and wear out their welcome. Whereas the charismatic goof-offs eventually get exposed and end up working as an analyst on tv.

Hmm I hadn't thought of BB possibly being Iowas next coach... But he'd certainly be on the short list. But I don't see that day coming in the next 3 to 5 years. By then the amount of what ifs are endless with what could be going on with the state Iowas program along with everyone elses. My best guess is Brian is going to be somewhat groomed for it weather he stays at Iowa all that time or not. But we'll see.

After alllll that he's going to end up a TE. Well you can lead a horse to water and sometimes that horse turns out to be a ******* instead.

Latest posts