Better without jok

Pretty disappointing effort to say the least. I thought that from the 2nd half of the PSU game Jok might have been rounding back into form. I hate it when he gets to dancing with the ball and trying to get cute with it. You can just tell he's about to turn it over. But between his poor play and Cook getting in foul trouble they were pretty much doomed. Not to mention Baer didn't play well. To me that was the trifecta of not being able to overcome that. JBo and Pemsl were absolutely great. Better then what they usually are but they had to be and it wasn't nearly enough. I give Indiana some credit in that they put their foot down on the gas. I respect how hard they played and they earned it. If you go on a 40 something to 14 run on someone there's no parsing that.

Jok will be missed for sure but IMO that will not stop this team from progressing. They need a true big man inside and that killed them all year long. Put Woody on that team and they win 5 more games, at least.

Jok needed to step back and shoot longer shots yesterday. They had nothing to lose when they started to get behind in double didgets . I don't know why they didn't at least try especially when he had on of their big men on him. He also needs to use the pump fake more.

IMO that won't be a problem with Bohannon.

JMO

The NCAA would have been great. But this was a rebuilding year and the NIT was the expectation for most throughout the season.

I have little doubt we will be better defensively next year without Jok...especially if Cook learns how to defend. But I will be watching the NIT games and would love to watch 5 more games. And we are definitely better for the remainder of this season with a 1st Team All Conference player on the floor.

I really don't think Jok will be missed. Don't get me wrong .. he's a great player and a great scorer, but all I have to do is look at the PSU game. Down 2 at the 15:25 mark of the first half, Jok picks up his second foul and sits the rest of the half. By half-time, Iowa is up 11. With no real pressure on the team, Jok lights it up. Also, with Jok sidelined for two games, The young team puts it together and wins both games.

Again .. he's a great player and scorer. I just don't think he'll be missed as much as some people think.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Yeah because after all next year's team is this years team right now huh ...

most players get better as they mature - unless you think freshman Jok was the same as Junior or Senior Jok - or Freshman Baer was better than this season. Or Soph Uthoff was as good as Senior Uthoff.... well you get the point.

Here are the numbers.

Jok shot 42.3% from 2; 92.0% from the line; and 37.1% from 3. Apply this to Jok's attempts and the total is 19.7 ppg...slight rounding error since he averaged 19.8.

The returning players shot 45.7% from 2; 63.4% from the line; and 37.5% from 3. Apply this to Jok's attempts and the total is 19.2 ppg.

So we lose about half a point per game on offense if no one improves their shooting percentage from this year to next year. And I think it's safe to assume we can recoup that half a point and more on the defensive end.

This is not a Jok bashing post. This is a "how do we replace Jok's scoring" post. I did these same types of calculations when everyone said the sky was falling because Marble was graduating.

Here are the numbers.

Jok shot 42.3% from 2; 92.0% from the line; and 37.1% from 3. Apply this to Jok's attempts and the total is 19.7 ppg...slight rounding error since he averaged 19.8.

The returning players shot 45.7% from 2; 63.4% from the line; and 37.5% from 3. Apply this to Jok's attempts and the total is 19.2 ppg.

So we lose about half a point per game on offense if no one improves their shooting percentage from this year to next year. And I think it's safe to assume we can recoup that half a point and more on the defensive end.

This is not a Jok bashing post. This is a "how do we replace Jok's scoring" post. I did these same types of calculations when everyone said the sky was falling because Marble was graduating.

I think people tend to forget that someone else will be shooting those shots barring turnovers. So like you said, it's all about his shooting percentage compared to whoever takes his shots shooting percentage.

Latest posts