Better PG play, or we will be a NIT regular

Totally agree, and we finally figured out this game to return the favor and quit backing down. The trees were grabbing hand fulls of jersey the whole first half and not moving their feet on defense at the top of the key. Cant stand when a defender can extend his arm/hand and touch the offensive player whos dribbling the ball but when an offensive player does the same thing to check that defender, its a foul?? (see that joke "offensive foul" called against Marble in the B1G Ten Tourny)

I hope Duffman reads this and could shine some light on this b/c he should know. This hand checking cant be legal. Thanks for your help in advance and I'm being srs.

Yes the Marble arm bar was an offensive foul. An offensive player can't use his hands or arms to create space, ward off a defender, or assisti him in getting around a defender. Now you can make an argument that in the Marble situation you are referring to the defender fouled Marble first with a hand check, and I wouldn't argue against someone making that argument.

Yes the Marble arm bar was an offensive foul. An offensive player can't use his hands or arms to create space, ward off a defender, or assisti him in getting around a defender. Now you can make an argument that in the Marble situation you are referring to the defender fouled Marble first with a hand check, and I wouldn't argue against someone making that argument.

Got ya...thanks for the info. Duff. Fiddle stix! #Foiled. On a random side note....cant wait to get off work and watch bball these next two days. Leeeyyygoo BWW.

We are in the NIT for a reason and it's not because we got hosed by the committee. WI is in the dance with Jackson a (freshman) and Brust backcourt and they turn it over something like 7 times per game with another freshman (Dekker) hitting clutch shots. Freshman can play.

Do you purposely pick the worst analogies, or are you just ignorant about college basketball? Wisconsin is the very example of developing kids for years, and then paying off in their JR and SR years. Brust is an upper classman, and the other main contributors are SR. Taylor and Dekker are mixed into a very veteran team. That is their MO. They mix in solid young players to very veteran teams.

We have 2 upper classman starters, and the rest are FR and So. Some of our role players are JR/Sr, but we are asking much, much more out of our FR than Wisconsin is. Only a blind person can't see this.

BTW our FR can play. Gessel has had a very solid FR year, his stats match up very well to what Dekker has done.

Next year we will be much better, even if you can't see or understand it. Just like we were better in year 2 and better in year 3......

Honestly, how good are we if we become a team who shoots, I don't know, 45% from the field for the season next year?

We would finish in the top half of the B1G if we shot 45% this year.... oh wait, we did finish in the top half of the B1G... How about the top half of the top half?
Throw in an extra year of experience for the Entire team, add 3 decent-to-good players and that brings a smile to this face.

Last edited:
I am not claiming Washpun is a rockstar, but the dude can scoot and handle the ball. If you saw him at TN, you would have seen that he locked dudes on D and while I agree he was not a big time offensive threat, that was not his role on a pretty stacked team with scorers. It puts a lot of pressure on Marble to run the point and be our only scorer. If you watch the tourney games tomorrow (for the teams that got in), you will see strong PG play consisting of guys being able to get by their defender, finish or distribute.

He played 9 mins/game on an NIT bound 19-15 Tennessee team. So he couldn't even get minutes on a team worse than Iowa.

Iowa is fine at the PG. PG and Center are the two toughest positions for most freshman...and they typically have big jumps frosh to soph year. Gesell has shown more than enough, although he will have some struggles with bigger PG's...Clemmons doesn't struggle as much there. They make a good combo. And are freshmen playing in longer season with more games than they ever have before, adding to that the newness of college academic life and the social life adjustment. It's why freshman years are such wildcards.

I am not claiming Washpun is a rockstar, but the dude can scoot and handle the ball. If you saw him at TN, you would have seen that he locked dudes on D and while I agree he was not a big time offensive threat, that was not his role on a pretty stacked team with scorers. It puts a lot of pressure on Marble to run the point and be our only scorer. If you watch the tourney games tomorrow (for the teams that got in), you will see strong PG play consisting of guys being able to get by their defender, finish or distribute.

Ted, drop the whole Washpun thing. He's not better than Pat Ingram. His Tennessee team, for which he played in about half of the games, lost in the NIT second round and averaged about 65 ppg in conference play, not stacked with scorers. If we started Washpun at point, we would not be a NCAA tournament team, actually farther from it.

In general, Fran knows, and you don't know, what he's looking for in recruits and what he's trying to accomplish with his recruiting. Next year we'll have more good players than we know what to do with, there aren't enough minutes in the game for them to play the time they will deserve.

Mike Gessell - 27 mpg,9 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg, 1 spg
Marcus Paige - 29 mpg, 8 ppg, 3 rpg, 5 apg, 1 spg

Pretty comparable.

Gessell is fine and will be fine, those are good freshman pg stats. Clemmons played well the first half of the season then seems to be pressing, could be that he was affected when taken out of the starting lineup, but who knows, maybe he hit the freshman wall. But he'll be fine and OP is just trying to find things to be negative about. I think we need a SG more than a PG, maybe Gessell can be that next year with Jok, because Marble seems to be better on the point.

I actually think in two years, MG will be the 2 and AC will be the 1 and this club will have the best backcourt in the conference.

Clemmons has hit a freshman wall and has no confidence. These two guys are freshman, learning the ropes of the best conference in America. I'm not saying you can't make an impact as a freshman, but I believe each of these guys has shown flashes of quality traits you need to have on your basketball team. Guys like Craft, Appling and Burke don't make it easy. And it will get tougher next year with Gasser and Tim Frazier. Throw in a guy like Ferrell, who is very underrated on possibly the best team in the country and you see the BIG is loaded. Not to mention the pretty good group of guards Minnesota and Illinois had this year. So I believe the OP is correct, PG play and guard play in general will be huge to the success of this team in the future. But I like what I've seen from both Gesell and Clemmons. It's been up and down, but to think these guys won't make strides in the off-season to their sophomore year is pretty short-sighted.

Honestly after watching some NIT games and now some early NCAA games, Iowa DID get screwed by the committee.
Some pretty gosh awful teams went dancing in lieu, and stink city baby...

First, I recognize Gesell is injured, but when healthy, he is a better 2 than 1. To be blunt, he is a step slow and isn't a great finisher. I have seen enough of Clemmons to have serious and I stress serious doubts the guy has big ten game. Tonight I questioned if he had D1 game, as it looks like he plays with a greased ball half the time. Twice he came into the game and immediately picked up dumb fouls. Whenever he has the ball in his hands, it is time to hold your breath, as he either dribbles himself into trouble, or loses the ball. At this point of the season, Clemmons should be showing improvement, but instead he is digressing and appears to have no clue what he is supposed to be doing. Hard to figure why the staff didn't pursue Washpun, as he is quicker and has better handles than anyone on our current roster.

Washpun is an amazing player why didn't Fran offer him sooner....not, get a clue

Disagree completely, dissing on freshman point guards is pathetic. They both played at a great level for their first year in college basketball. Did I mention that it was considered the best conference in america this year, unless your Charles Barkley....

Latest posts