Better PG play, or we will be a NIT regular

First, I recognize Gesell is injured, but when healthy, he is a better 2 than 1. To be blunt, he is a step slow and isn't a great finisher. I have seen enough of Clemmons to have serious and I stress serious doubts the guy has big ten game. Tonight I questioned if he had D1 game, as it looks like he plays with a greased ball half the time. Twice he came into the game and immediately picked up dumb fouls. Whenever he has the ball in his hands, it is time to hold your breath, as he either dribbles himself into trouble, or loses the ball. At this point of the season, Clemmons should be showing improvement, but instead he is digressing and appears to have no clue what he is supposed to be doing. Hard to figure why the staff didn't pursue Washpun, as he is quicker and has better handles than anyone on our current roster.

Probably because Wes Washpun sucks and averaged less than 1 point a game on 28% shooting at Tennessee. Not exactly a Harrison Barnes juco type if you know what I mean Nuge.

I would point out the many flaws in logic intertwined with fact in this post but it's late and really not worth my time. I'll settle for Clemmons is a true freshman and inconsistent. He will be a very good PG in the Big Ten.

I am not claiming Washpun is a rockstar, but the dude can scoot and handle the ball. If you saw him at TN, you would have seen that he locked dudes on D and while I agree he was not a big time offensive threat, that was not his role on a pretty stacked team with scorers. It puts a lot of pressure on Marble to run the point and be our only scorer. If you watch the tourney games tomorrow (for the teams that got in), you will see strong PG play consisting of guys being able to get by their defender, finish or distribute.

Better shooting next year and we can win the Big 10/make a run in the tourney. This works both ways.

Better shooting next year and we can win the Big 10/make a run in the tourney. This works both ways.

Honestly, how good are we if we become a team who shoots, I don't know, 45% from the field for the season next year?

Oh my gawd, the guard play is fine. Clemmons has his work cut out for him but Gesell is going to be solid.

Anybody that knows basketball and has watched the games can tell you Iowa was only a perimeter shooter away from being in the NCAA tournament.

How about we enjoy the win and the rest of the season..then worry about it next year if the struggles continue?? If officials didn't allow defenders to throw their body into our guards as they dribble around the top of the key, it might be easier for Mike and AC to create space and get into a flow. They are freshman. Get used to it

clemmons really does look like he is playing with a greased ball a lot... that description has been kind of apt latley

We are in the NIT for a reason and it's not because we got hosed by the committee. WI is in the dance with Jackson a (freshman) and Brust backcourt and they turn it over something like 7 times per game with another freshman (Dekker) hitting clutch shots. Freshman can play.

We are in the NIT for a reason and it's not because we got hosed by the committee. WI is in the dance with Jackson a (freshman) and Brust backcourt and they turn it over something like 7 times per game with another freshman (Dekker) hitting clutch shots. Freshman can play.

Nobody said anything here about getting screwed by the committee, are you reading any of the responses or just making assumptions?

Herby?

Nobody said anything here about getting screwed by the committee, are you reading any of the responses or just making assumptions?

Herby?

Ah, you responded to my thread Ace, so what is your point? My point, which seems lost on you, is that all those using the youth excuse clearly do not watch college basketball, as there are freshman doing some nice work out there. Dribbling is something I expect a PG recruit to be able to do as a freshman. Call me crazy, but that is not something that should take 3 years to evolve. Coupled with Ingram being a non factor, my overarching point is that if McCaffrey and staff got us one better player (shooter or PG), we would be in the dance as others have mentioned. There are no guarantees of anything next year or any year, and we clearly had a chance to make it this year. If the 3 incoming guys aren't major contributors on offense next year, no shot at the tourney, as we will still have no shooters.

Last edited:
clemmons really does look like he is playing with a greased ball a lot... that description has been kind of apt latley

He really seems to be pressing lately. He wasn't nearly this loose with the ball through the first several conference games.

Doesn't Fran have several offers out to pgs in the class that replaces Marble and fellow juniors? I

FWIW, Iowa did offer Washpun coming out of high school, but they didn't do so until April of his senior year because they were waiting for him to academically qualify. By that point, he had already developed a long relationship with Tennessee coach Cuanzo Martin. Martin was in his first month at Tennessee when he signed Washpun, but he had recruited him hard to Missouri State before taking the job in Knoxville.

First off Jackson is a (sophomore) and dekker was a (top 100 recruit) coming out of HS and (Clemmons) was not. Again, Clemmons is an 18 or 19 year old (freshman) thats been struggling but who will only continue to improve each year. This seems so easy to grasp and understand buuuuut..(have you ever met people before?)

I am not claiming Washpun is a rockstar, but the dude can scoot and handle the ball. If you saw him at TN, you would have seen that he locked dudes on D and while I agree he was not a big time offensive threat, that was not his role on a pretty stacked team with scorers. It puts a lot of pressure on Marble to run the point and be our only scorer. If you watch the tourney games tomorrow (for the teams that got in), you will see strong PG play consisting of guys being able to get by their defender, finish or distribute.

cool, cause I'm not claiming Ted nugent is a rockstsr either.

How about we enjoy the win and the rest of the season..then worry about it next year if the struggles continue?? If officials didn't allow defenders to throw their body into our guards as they dribble around the top of the key, it might be easier for Mike and AC to create space and get into a flow. They are freshman. Get used to it

Totally agree, and we finally figured out this game to return the favor and quit backing down. The trees were grabbing hand fulls of jersey the whole first half and not moving their feet on defense at the top of the key. Cant stand when a defender can extend his arm/hand and touch the offensive player whos dribbling the ball but when an offensive player does the same thing to check that defender, its a foul?? (see that joke "offensive foul" called against Marble in the B1G Ten Tourny)

I hope Duffman reads this and could shine some light on this b/c he should know. This hand checking cant be legal. Thanks for your help in advance and I'm being srs.

Latest posts