Better not look past NIU

uihawk82

Or any game. It is nuts to post threads to talk about whether the hawks are looking past ISU which is game #2. Kirk's teams start slow and come out of the gate poorly more often than not. If the locker room full of players are not concentrating on today's practice and only the next opponent then we have problems.

Who your picking Iowa or NIU? I am picking Iowa but in a close game.

I'm picking Iowa 38-14 or some similar blowout. I am the eternal optimist that Brian has transformed the offense and that Stanley is one of the best QBs in the conference. NIU will come out expecting a grinder game against Iowa and be down 21-0 the first time they look up at the scoreboard.

I am worried that the team is too distracted by social media and fortnite and looks past the B1G season and just plays Battle Royale when they should be focusing on the game.

I could see a 1-2 start. Sad we have to have these threads.

One year I want to not worry about OOC games, well the OOC games Iowa schedules.

Offense will determine it all. If we stay conservative and play "not to lose", we'll lose at least one of NIU/ISU

Last edited:
I'm picking Iowa 38-14 or some similar blowout. I am the eternal optimist that Brian has transformed the offense and that Stanley is one of the best QBs in the conference. NIU will come out expecting a grinder game against Iowa and be down 21-0 the first time they look up at the scoreboard.

Jumping out to a quick start and big lead is the best way at home to control the game, keep the crowd into it, force the opponent out of their plans. How often early in the year does this happen with KF teams, I would say not often.

Without all these suspensions especially the offensive line I can see the hawks moving the ball well on NIU and ISU and I hope scoring. But right out of the gate we have another new starter in the Off line. But that starter will have time to prepare and maybe we see a really good player or players.

If the run blocking is there then that is great but teams will load the box so the pass blocking is key as is Stanley and the receivers reading defenses. With 8 in the box a receiver should be single covered and when they get open the ball needs to get there. There could be some big plays in the passing game.

Well, we did it against Ball State back in '05. Did it against Tennessee Tech in 2011 as well.

Only two examples of the hawks jumping out to big quick leads is not a lot. And I know there are some more but how much angst and worry have hawk fans had to sit through the last 13 years against what should be inferior opponents. Geez 2009 against N Iowa is a great example of not having a good offense ready to go.

Don't over look anyone!!!

From what I understand the depth chart at lb has 2 rs Jr's starting. Two at about 218, (we all know how reported weight goes), one just over 200.
I would say if our ol can block their dl, give them backers a heavy dose of Young. At least the first quarter.

Or any game. It is nuts to post threads to talk about whether the hawks are looking past ISU which is game #2. Kirk's teams start slow and come out of the gate poorly more often than not. If the locker room full of players are not concentrating on today's practice and only the next opponent then we have problems.

Who your picking Iowa or NIU? I am picking Iowa but in a close game.

CicheCloud_Shaded.png

Only two examples of the hawks jumping out to big quick leads is not a lot. And I know there are some more but how much angst and worry have hawk fans had to sit through the last 13 years against what should be inferior opponents. Geez 2009 against N Iowa is a great example of not having a good offense ready to go.

That's Kirkball

Folks might want to remember that the last time we played NIU (2013), we lost. The time before that (2012), we won by one point. During Kirk's tenure, Iowa's win margin over NIU has been 9 points. Take away the first game when we won 24-0 and it's 4.2 points. Considering all factors, there really isn't any rationale to believe we'll win by more than 10 points. I imagine the game will be decided by 7pts or less. Hopefully, we can pull it out, but I wouldn't be surprised if we drop this one.

Reactions: trj
Folks might want to remember that the last time we played NIU (2013), we lost. The time before that (2012), we won by one point. During Kirk's tenure, Iowa's win margin over NIU has been 9 points. Take away the first game when we won 24-0 and it's 4.2 points. Considering all factors, there really isn't any rationale to believe we'll win by more than 10 points. I imagine the game will be decided by 7pts or less. Hopefully, we can pull it out, but I wouldn't be surprised if we drop this one.

2013, 5 years ago; 2012, 6 years ago; win margin of 9 points, historically irrelevant. The fact that NIU is favored by many to win the conference, very relevant. We better be ready. I think we win. First games of the year for most teams are not a pretty sight.

2013, 5 years ago; 2012, 6 years ago; win margin of 9 points, historically irrelevant. The fact that NIU is favored by many to win the conference, very relevant. We better be ready. I think we win. First games of the year for most teams are not a pretty sight.
More irrelevant than you?

I could see a 1-2 start. Sad we have to have these threads.

One year I want to not worry about OOC games, well the OOC games Iowa schedules.

Just Friday I was thinking about how nice would it be to go into a season with the optimism that the Wisconsin fans have. They are expected to win the west and possibly the conference title and make it to the playoff. When was the last time we had reason to have those types of expectations. All we get is excuses this position is weak or that player is hurt, Having followed the program back about seven years before Fry got here it kinda feels like me that we are in a rut and we can’t get out of it. Having suffered the pre Hayden Fry days and then the Hayden Fry era it almost feels like we are stuck some where between those two eras.

Things aren’t as bad as it was before Hayden got here but yet I don’t sense the enthusiasm and excitement going into the season like there used to be. Why would there be? Our offense seems to be as plain vanilla as it possibly could be and just seems lacking creativity. It appears that the fan base has accepted mediocrity and demand nothing more. I am hoping that with a year under his belt that Brian can bring something new to the offense. This year will prove if this football program is advancing forward or is forever stuck in a ditch until Barta and his gang are gone.

Latest posts