Better not look past NIU

Holy shit...I said "trending in the right direction" for a reason. I didn't say or hint that they're fully recovered from their usual slow starts or that any of their wins were impressive. Trending doesn't mean anything more than they are trending.

Trending

Trending

Say it with me now...TRENDING
Dude I don't think i capitalized anything. There was no emotion in my post back at you. I just disagree with winning, and not impressively, against really bad opening day competition is trending toward anything other than it's a good idea to schedule sisters of the poor for your first game. If that's what you were trying to imply then I agree with you we are trending in the right direction, beating up on bad teams in week 1.

I certainly agree we can't and aren't looking past NIU. But I'm curious how much time some of you have spent looking at and analyzing what NIU has returning and how it matches up to our strengths and weaknesses? Or are you just basing your fear on the fact that they're projected to win the West Division in the MAC and return Sutton Smith?

When you look at them, they return their really productive defensive front, but replace all LB's and a good chunk of their secondary on D. One would hope we can maximize the lack of LB experience with 2 likely All Big Ten TE's. Not to mention beef up our run blocking and pass protection, with the use of those same TE's. Hopefully some increased experience in our WR group will help us exploit a inexperienced secondary, as well.

On offense they return their 2nd year QB, but are breaking in a new RB, as well as inexperienced WR's. They do have a solid O-line returning, but they certainly don't come across as unstoppable.

They also have a less than stellar place kicker returning.

I'm not trying to suggest, that I don't see this game as a challenge, but I'm also not quite sure yet, that we have a lot to be worried about. Maybe, I'm just trying to be overly optimistic.

I'm mostly concerned about two suspended starting tackles and a new center against a very productive DL. And how a new LB corps will do against their rushing attack. They, like Iowa, like to ugly a game up and rely on field position, solid defense, and methodical rushung, and smart QB play.

Sounds like a poor man's NDSU trap game to start the season, and that game still gives me nightmares.

I worry that our RBs haven't seen a lot of action, and that we don't have a possession WR for the first time since 2012.

I worry that we don't have a monster in the middle or an All-American shutdown corner.

I worry that our best defensive player is a third down defensive end.

I worry that Fant doesn't get enough opportunities on offense.

I worry that our punters are sometimes better off taking a knee than punting.

I have no doubt that if we get to three opponents' 35 yard-line, we will score. Recinos is money. Getting there, against anyone, could be an issue this season.

Last edited:
Step back and think about it. What is the state of the Iowa football program if people are worried about losing this game because of 1 or 2 players being on the bench.

think about it.

This is a P5 team that is rarely ranked in the top 25. That is the state of the Iowa football program.

Dude I don't think i capitalized anything. There was no emotion in my post back at you. I just disagree with winning, and not impressively, against really bad opening day competition is trending toward anything other than it's a good idea to schedule sisters of the poor for your first game. If that's what you were trying to imply then I agree with you we are trending in the right direction, beating up on bad teams in week 1.

my point was that Iowa has been pretty mediocre in season opening games under Ferentz...at times downright pathetic. But at least over the past 3 season they seem to be getting better at it.

That's all I was trying to say.

Also with the new redshirt rules in place this year I don't think its a bad thing that Iowa schedules lesser opponents week 1...as long as they win. Those first couple games are going to be great opportunities to get younger guys some live action reps before they redshirt for the rest of the season.

Also with the new redshirt rules in place this year I don't think its a bad thing that Iowa schedules lesser opponents week 1...as long as they win. Those first couple games are going to be great opportunities to get younger guys some live action reps before they redshirt for the rest of the season.
Agreed

I'm mostly concerned about two suspended starting tackles and a new center against a very productive DL. And how a new LB corps will do against their rushing attack. They, like Iowa, like to ugly a game up and rely on field position, solid defense, and methodical rushung, and smart QB play.

Sounds like a poor man's NDSU trap game to start the season, and that game still gives me nightmares.

I worry that our RBs haven't seen a lot of action, and that we don't have a possession WR for the first time since 2012.

I worry that we don't have a monster in the middle or an All-American shutdown corner.

I have no doubt that if we get to three opponents' 35 yard-line, we will score. Recinos is money. Getting there, against anyone, could be an issue this season.
Quality Worries. I agree... But WILD CARD! Cap wants son to be next coach.My opinion only ASAP. Cap will be up for this season. We watch and see ...GO HAWKS.

Step back and think about it. What is the state of the Iowa football program if people are worried about losing this game because of 1 or 2 players being on the bench.

think about it.

This is a P5 team that is rarely ranked in the top 25. That is the state of the Iowa football program.

No doubt it is sad. And the line went down from -13 to -10 after the suspensions were announced. This just seems like it has "close game" written all over it.

“1 or 2 suspensions” is really both starting Offensive tackles and 2 starter-level defensive tackles.

We lost to NDSU because Daniels and Welsh were injured and LeGrande stepped in at Center and IIRC Levi stepped in at RG. Our OL did not win the LOS and sadly, neither did the DL that day.

Read up on how Kallenberger and Paulsen are doing whilst going up against the 1st team defense so far.

We need to avoid putting Stanley in deep drop situations where our inexperienced OTs could get our QB injured. The hopes we all have for a successful season could go down the drain on one play.

Now, how many bona fide DTs will be playing in the middle of our defense? Matt Nelson is a former DE. Golston, Brincks? DEs. Who else will be giving us depth at DT? Garrett Jansen? Remembering that we need the DTs to keep opposing offenses from getting to our LB, we would all feel better if we had last year’s LB unit to overcome some of these shortcomings. But Wait! We will have 3 brand new LBs in place. All of their previous tackles were on special teams.

Don’t kid yourself about “1 or 2 suspensions.” We will find out if our 2nd team OTs are up to the task. I hope they are. I think we need to run the ball right at the undersized Sutton Smith and double-team him with a TE on passes with a deep drop. The other side DE starter sounds like he is out for the game and possibly the season, so maybe we can handle their back-up DE on that side man-to-man. What is critical is that we need to make sure their defensive star doesn’t beat us. It could happen and the optimistic outlook for this season could go very similar to last year’s basketball season in a hurry.

Rastetter--he of the 100% completion percentage--will be our secret weapon between the opponent 40- and 25-yard lines

2005 I think and the hawks have a national leading 22 or so home game win streak. Hawks have 3rd and goal from about the 5 yard line to go ahead of Michigan by 4 with the extra point but instead a very conservative shovel pass behind the LOS gains little. Hawks kick FG and lose in OT. The Bullies of the Big Ten lost some swagger at that moment.
I'm pretty sure this was addressed shortly after it happened but I'll mention it again. O'Keefe had been setting up Michigan all game for that play. They finally had their opening on that play and Scott Chandler lined up on the wrong side of the line, foregoing our numbers mismatch and the play was blown up immediately. I don't remember if they could have called timeout or not to fix it or if we had any remaining but it's just an example of when good play calling can turn into a head-scratching call when we don't know exactly what is happening.

Iowa wasn't going to be favored by much to begin with, NIU is supposed to win the MAC aren't they? I expected the spread to be under 10 points before Iowa suspended four players.

And the key to the four players suspended? Two of them were our two returning offensive linemen. For the NIU game we will have exactly 0 starters from last year on the O-line.

Some of you guys worry too much! We are gonna smoke NIU and by a huge margin! We are gonna put up pts. in the neighborhood of anywhere to 35-45 pts. They lost more on defensive side of ball than we did. We have Stanley to Fant and Hockenson all day. It wont even be close!

Some of you guys worry too much! We are gonna smoke NIU and by a huge margin! We are gonna put up pts. in the neighborhood of anywhere to 35-45 pts. They lost more on defensive side of ball than we did. We have Stanley to Fant and Hockenson all day. It wont even be close!
It appears that their defense has the same questions that we have (linebackers and an important loss in the secondary. Their DL looks like it will be a large strength, which is why people are concerned after losing Welsh, Daniels, (Wirfs/Jackson), and playmaker Wadley.

I'm picking Iowa 38-14 or some similar blowout. I am the eternal optimist that Brian has transformed the offense and that Stanley is one of the best QBs in the conference. NIU will come out expecting a grinder game against Iowa and be down 21-0 the first time they look up at the scoreboard.
Damn, Keefe, other than thinking the Hox would start fast, you were pretty much spot on.

Latest posts