Better luck with this Jake?

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
Hopefully this Jake (Rudock) is a better outcome than the last Jake (Christensen)! Here is what ESPN thinks:

The last time Iowa had a quarterback named Jake, things didn't work out so well. Jake Christensen was a heralded member of the 2005 recruiting class who had a solid 2007 season before losing his job to Ricky Stanzi early in 2008 and then transferring to Eastern Illinois. Kirk Ferentz hopes that three-star QB Jake Rudock of Florida, who committed to the Hawkeyes on Wednesday, lasts a little longer in Iowa City. Rudock is a fast-rising prospect with good size (6-foot-3) who plays for one of the country's top programs, St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale. He has a pair of receivers who have committed to Florida State and Miami, so he is poised for a big season. Iowa is stacked at the position (with sophomores James Vandenberg and John Wienke and incoming freshman A.J. Derby ahead of Rudock), so it may be a while before Rudock sees any action. But based on his Scouts, Inc., evaluation, he does have a chance to be the Hawkeyes' starter sometime down the road.

Evaluation: "This is one of the more fundamentally sound pocket passers this class has to offer. He is a very sound rhythm and timing passer that does a great job of anticipating routes and throwing to a spot. Gets set quickly and is very balanced within the pocket. Everything about his mechanics are consistent from play-to-play; is technically sound which is why he has been so accurate. Makes wise decisions with the ball and also has the luxury of playing alongside some real playmakers so he can take some chances at times that pay off. Has a real sense for where his targets are and placing the ball in a catchable spot. Leads receivers with zip and touch at the same time. Plays within himself and is very efficient as a signal-caller. He is a deceptively good athlete capable of eluding the rush and keeping a play alive while keeping his eyes downfield. Can tuck and run if need be and is a tough guy."

QB Jake Rudock highlight reel here - HawkeyeReport.com - Hawkeyes get their QB

For the record, Stanzi was a string bean 2 star recruit, but had talent.
No Talent Jake was a 4 star OB and was a yr. ahead, so Ricky asked if he would get a fair shot at the starting QB spot and Kirk Said yes........and @ 18-4, I would say it's worked out pretty well for us.

I have a feeling Rudock and Derby will be competing the same way for QB after V-Berg leaves.......and I look forward to it.

If the Florida schools missed out on offering Rudock......tough $*!+ !!!!!!
He looks like he could be a good one for Iowa....and by the looks of it, he already has to play the top HS teams in FLA & the nation - So judging by that resume' - I think He'll be ready!!! :)

Hopefully this Jake (Rudock) is a better outcome than the last Jake (Christensen)! Here is what ESPN thinks:

Evaluation: "This is one of the more fundamentally sound pocket passers this class has to offer. He is a very sound rhythm and timing passer that does a great job of anticipating routes and throwing to a spot. Gets set quickly and is very balanced within the pocket. Everything about his mechanics are consistent from play-to-play; is technically sound which is why he has been so accurate. Makes wise decisions with the ball and also has the luxury of playing alongside some real playmakers so he can take some chances at times that pay off. Has a real sense for where his targets are and placing the ball in a catchable spot. Leads receivers with zip and touch at the same time. Plays within himself and is very efficient as a signal-caller. He is a deceptively good athlete capable of eluding the rush and keeping a play alive while keeping his eyes downfield. Can tuck and run if need be and is a tough guy."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMQ8RoJ6N0]YouTube - Jake Rudock Football Junior Year Highlights[/ame]

This kid reminds me of a very polished Drew Tate (if you could ever imagine that).

The dude looks legit to me. I don't understand the 'sites' recruiting rankings, what is lacking in this kid to not be a 3-4 'star'? We will probably get to see him play a game or two on ESPN also this fall. He looks like he will fit our system very well.

Impressive highlights. The kid throws a great long ball. Hopefully we'll have the receivers that can get the separation when Jake gets his chance to sling it around.

Biggest differences between this Jake and old Jake are accuracy, footwork and size,; not to mention how fluid Rudock's motion is. Again, accuracy. I believe Jake C was only around 58% in high school. This Jake is at 65%, which is damn good.

The dude looks legit to me. I don't understand the 'sites' recruiting rankings, what is lacking in this kid to not be a 3-4 'star'? We will probably get to see him play a game or two on ESPN also this fall. He looks like he will fit our system very well.

He is a 3 star isn't he?

The last time Iowa had a quarterback named Jake, things didn't work out so well. Jake Christensen was a heralded member of the 2005 recruiting class who had a solid 2007 season before losing his job to Ricky Stanzi early in 2008 and then transferring to Eastern Illinois. Kirk Ferentz hopes that three-star QB Jake Rudock of Florida, who committed to the Hawkeyes on Wednesday, lasts a little longer in Iowa City. Rudock is a fast-rising prospect with good size (6-foot-3) who plays for one of the country's top programs, St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale. He has a pair of receivers who have committed to Florida State and Miami, so he is poised for a big season. Iowa is stacked at the position (with sophomores James Vandenberg and John Wienke and incoming freshman A.J. Derby ahead of Rudock), so it may be a while before Rudock sees any action. But based on his Scouts, Inc., evaluation, he does have a chance to be the Hawkeyes' starter sometime down the road.

HAH! What!?!? Just proves how ESPN doesn't even have a clue.

Obviously if the future was now Vandy would be the next in line, but why is everyone so quick to annoint him the clear starter for 2011 at this time?

I don't know what you were looking at/reading, but not anywhere in my post did I annoint Vandenberg as the starter for 2011.

He is a 3 star isn't he?

So you still believe in the phony star system? The system that will have a guy a 4 star until Iowa offers and then they drop to a 2-3 star. I have all the confidence in the world with our coaches evaluation of talent. I saw this kid play and he is equal to any QB we have right now when they were a Junior. He could be very special.

So you still believe in the phony star system? The system that will have a guy a 4 star until Iowa offers and then they drop to a 2-3 star. I have all the confidence in the world with our coaches evaluation of talent. I saw this kid play and he is equal to any QB we have right now when they were a Junior. He could be very special.

Not saying I believe one way or the other on the "star" system. Just that rivals has him at a 3 star and that's all I've seen. Also, doesn't ESPN have him as the 26th ranked QB? But I agree, he looks great on film.

Two important points to keep in mind with this kid...he's the starting QB at one of the most prominent football schools in the country...in and of itself that fact helps a program that is looking to make inroads in high school football factories.

Secondly...this continues the trend of the Hawkeyes getting kids who seem to have a lot of talent and just as importantly seem to be intelligent kids. 4.3 GPA...that is also a promising sign.

Latest posts