Better Look Now At Hawk Central on NIL

HuckFinn

Wow. What an interesting view directly from GB. Attack or Approve, it’s a must read. Sustainability and rules violations highlighted.

The article is published on Hawk Central today. I saw it on Facebook. That help Melrose? Guess you missed the title of the thread.

Last edited:
So the NIL rule says athletes can profit from their NIL, but schools cannot use NIL as a recruiting tools. That is, you can't just have a bunch of boosters pay for play, the athlete has to be giving something (e.g. promoting a product/business; signing autographs; meet-and-greets; etc.) to get their money.

Other schools are obviously doing the pay-for-play thing, which is technically not allowed. Barta says Iowa won't do that. Is that naive? Is there any mechanism of enforcement for schools that are obviously using this for recruiting? Can the NCAA legally constrain the pay-for-play scheme? Is Iowa at a competitive disadvantage by taking this approach?

That's what I've always said. There are two separate issues going on here. NIL was set up for an opportunity for the athlete to develop an arrangement or contract with a company for their NIL. It was supposed to be between an athlete and the Dan Deery's of the world. But, Texas A&M opened up a can of worms, or at least the boosters did starting these NIL accounts and it morphed into a whole other separate thing.

I went around and around with somebody and they were pointing out that a student should be able to capitalize as much as they can on these contracts. I don't disagree with that as I believe in capitalism. But the NIL programs/accounts are very two different entities, because in the accounts the money is pooled and distributed to players. There is a fine line there. That is what I think should be capped so the less prominent players or the swimmers, softball players might be able to get a small piece of a pie if they can't get a private NIL deal with a company.

But that damn thing opens up a can of worms if it is not regulated and can make competition among schools be unfair.

Let em' have NIL accounts for the other less popular sports so those athletes can get some living expenses. But, it needs to be capped and audited. As far as private NIL agreements with athletes and companies, so be it.

Barta referred to the use of NIL for recruiting purposes. He plainly said It is against the rules. He is correct. Given Iowa’s history, I don’t see them ignoring that rule. Sustainability is another wildcard. OSU said they need $13,000,000 to be competitive. Is that an annual outlay? Yeah. They are rich. But that rich, given the sustainability number may grow?
I may be jousting with windmills, but if OSU, or any BT team blatantly breaks this clear, very fundamental rule, I believe Iowa should refuse to play them. We may well have some company. Say what you will. GB has made himself clear. Iowa will have a NIL. A wait and watch, which sure as hell has not hurt the 2023 recruiting efforts, may help Iowa define a legal, sustainable Program.

All a booster would have to do is have a kid sign like 100 footballs, buy all 100 for a million dollars, and raffle them off for underprivileged kids at a loss.

Boom. There, I solved the problem in 5 seconds. The player did something for his money.

Jesus people, if boosters wanna pay kids they’re gonna, and there are infinite ways to make it fit under the NIL rules. Barry Farta is wasting his goddamned breath when he should be drumming up support for NIL and making sure the program is being progressive about it, not giving snaggle-toothed TED Talks about how “people might be breaking the rules, goll-EEEE…”

3178EFF0-52E9-4C4B-A70E-E701F44CF419.jpeg

I may be jousting with windmills, but if OSU, or any BT team blatantly breaks this clear, very fundamental rule, I believe Iowa should refuse to play them.

So you feel so strongly about this that you would jeopardize $70, 80, 90 million plus of shared conference revenue to prove a point by breaching our contract with the conference?

So you feel so strongly about this that you would jeopardize $70, 80, 90 million plus of shared conference revenue to prove a point by breaching our contract with the conference?
That'd be committing program suicide. You'd never get a single recruit after something ridiculous like that and you may as well get the wrecking balls and dumpsters lined up for the bricks at Kinnick.

All to make a point that no one really cares about.

All a booster would have to do is have a kid sign like 100 footballs, buy all 100 for a million dollars, and raffle them off for underprivileged kids at a loss.

Boom. There, I solved the problem in 5 seconds. The player did something for his money.

Jesus people, if boosters wanna pay kids they’re gonna, and there are infinite ways to make it fit under the NIL rules. Barry Farta is wasting his goddamned breath when he should be drumming up support for NIL and making sure the program is being progressive about it, not giving snaggle-toothed TED Talks about how “people might be breaking the rules, goll-EEEE…”

View attachment 9083

Ya don't need to regulate the NIL agreements players set up on their own with Falbo Pizza or Arena Auto Body, etc.. Let the players do their thang and get what they can out of those.

Now for the NIL university accounts, a governing board should simply have a universal CAP the total amount universities can have in a NIL account. That is the easiest way to regulate it as universities/colleges can have the NIL account audited. I don't know who the governing board would be as the NCAA seems to be defunct or going away. But, this would keep the programs on somewhat even terms. Ya can't have the OSU's of the world having 100 million more than the Purdue's of the world. They already have a superior advantage. Now if a football player at OSU can solidify a separate deal with the local Woody's in town and it's pretty lucrative because he's going to OSU, so be it. Good for him. That's just an advantage of going to OSU.

But, my point is that the NIL accounts can be somewhat regulated and audited. Will there be some shady shit going on. I'm sure. Anytime there are boosters with college sports, shit's gunna happen. But, ya still have to regulate to attempt to keep it in check. Ya have a governing board that has more backbone and balls than the NCAA and give teams the death penalty if found cheating or stuffing the account. Ya nail them so bad that it ain't worth it. A couple teams get the death penalty, then administrations might really take it seriously and lock those puppies down. Maybe FBS teams have a larger NIL account than the FCS teams. But, each division should have the same CAP for their level of teams.

Quixote, Don. Read it.
Sorry, chivalry and romantic do-goodery died out a long time ago. Idealism is idealistic. Not real.

And FYI, Quixote would've looked at this whole thing in completely the opposite way. The NCAA would've been the bad guy, not the ones who are (allegedly) breaking the rules.

Can the NCAA legally constrain the pay-for-play scheme?
Nope. SCOTUS said athletes can make money. They didn't regulate how.

What can the NCAA do? Take away eligibility? Not gonna happen; there'd be way too much backlash. Kick member schools out? Go ahead. The NCAA isn't needed anymore, and I guarantee you there are plenty of schools that would love to break away and start a sanctioning body and league of their own.

Is Iowa at a competitive disadvantage by taking this approach?
Yep.

The fools here and elsewhere thinking this is still the era of 1949 college amateurism are just that--fools.

College football and basketball are nothing more than professional sports trying their best to make themselves backwardly fit in an abstract description of amateurism. The quicker the fuddy duddies realize that amateurism, and the "Ra, ra, college," "win one for the Gipper stuff" is long dead, the better.

Go watch women's basketball...that's amateurism. Nobody's getting rich doing it. Apparently it's exciting too. I tried, didn't work for me. I'll take Iowa's pro sport instead--Hawkeye football.

Nope. SCOTUS said athletes can make money. They didn't regulate how.

What can the NCAA do? Take away eligibility? Not gonna happen; there'd be way too much backlash. Kick member schools out? Go ahead. The NCAA isn't needed anymore, and I guarantee you there are plenty of schools that would love to break away and start a sanctioning body and league of their own.

Yep.

The fools here and elsewhere thinking this is still the era of 1949 college amateurism are just that--fools.

College football and basketball are nothing more than professional sports trying their best to make themselves backwardly fit in an abstract description of amateurism. The quicker the fuddy duddies realize that amateurism, and the "Ra, ra, college," "win one for the Gipper stuff" is long dead, the better.

Go watch women's basketball...that's amateurism. Nobody's getting rich doing it. Apparently it's exciting too. I tried, didn't work for me. I'll take Iowa's pro sport instead--Hawkeye football.
To your point, you wait to see what college football is going to look like in 8 years. It is going to look exactly like how the NFL is set up with two divisions, divisions championships and the championship game between the winner of each division playoff. There will just be many more teams in each division, maybe two jumbo conferences in each side.

To your point, you wait to see what college football is going to look like in 8 years. It is going to look exactly like how the NFL is set up with two divisions, divisions championships and the championship game between the winner of each division playoff. There will just be many more teams in each division, maybe two jumbo conferences in each side.
Could've been different if the NCAA had compromised in the 90s, but they didn't. Everything we're seeing here is a direct result and fault of the NCAA.

People defending the NCAA and wanting it to stick around as some last bastion of moral fortitude have extremely short memories and apparently forgot about everything they've been doing for the past 50 plus years.

Sooner the NCAA is gone, the better.

Sorry, chivalry and romantic do-goodery died out a long time ago. Idealism is idealistic. Not real.

And FYI, Quixote would've looked at this whole thing in completely the opposite way. The NCAA would've been the bad guy, not the ones who are (allegedly) breaking the rules.
I guess you forgot about the windmill comment I made. Your comment about chivalry and idealism is based on your view of the world, but people who disagree with you are neither foolish nor out of touch with reality. Your conclusion, however, is a product of your narrow mind as you continue to dismiss other’s views. Foolish? Out of touch with reality? Look in the mirror, Fry.

I guess you forgot about the windmill comment I made. Your comment about chivalry and idealism is based on your view of the world, but people who disagree with you are neither foolish nor out of touch with reality. Your conclusion, however, is a product of your narrow mind as you continue to dismiss other’s views. Foolish? Out of touch with reality? Look in the mirror, Fry.

He acknowledged your view. It is probably shared by enough people nationally to fill up a school bus. Everyone else will be fine with Iowa playing against a team that has a decided recruiting advantage. We've done it for over 100 years. It's like the "ban" on playing teams with Native American mascots. There was a carveout for conference opponents and a carveout for tournaments and post season play. So when "ethics" are on the line, they ain't gonna trump the cash from postseason play or harm our conference affiliation. It did save us from getting our asses kicked by Bradley in basketball that one time, though.

Latest posts