Beth Goetz Comments

We've now heard from ostensibly the two main parties. While there's far more to the story and a ton more emotion involved....
Neither of them ramped anything up or fired any shots. I sincerely hope that continues.

I will say on the surface, in all likelihood, Brian being dismissed was a move needed to be made. I'm still surprised they did it now. There has to be more, beneath the surface, we are not seeing (and will probably will never see or learn about) leading to making this annoucement now.

I'm not sure why they could not have waited until the end of the year to not make this such a distraction.

What happens if Brian's team lights the world on fire down the stretch? Highly, highly unlikely......but remember Mr. Davis had his final team that went on a Sweet 16 run.

Brian Ferentz is no Mr. Davis, but the only thing I can think of (beside having a shit hole dump of an offense) is he pissed some people off behind the scenes. Brian does seem like a piece of work.

I mean, what if they won the Big Ten Title....and the offense looked like it had a brain? Not happening, but still.

Just like you have to score 25 points or else.....what if you win the game 10-7? Just kind of seems like another fumbling of sorts.....but with maybe a more favorable outcome.

The timing is likely to keep as many players from jumping ship as possible. There is a lot of big ten money now. Let's use some of it to get a great OC. Someone with the self confidence to think they could also become the next HC.

The timing is likely to keep as many players from jumping ship as possible. There is a lot of big ten money now. Let's use some of it to get a great OC. Someone with the self confidence to think they could also become the next HC.
Well said

Despite what is said on this Board, at the end of the day the AD is the head of the athletic department and Beth is Kirk's boss. She could fire him today if she wanted. Yes, I understand the import of donors and board members and presidents, but the AD is the ultimate decision maker on hiring and firing coaches. Now, on the flip side, KF is the department's most valuable asset at this moment. So, they both have jobs to do and they may not like the decisions the other is making, but they damn well should respect each other and believe that both are doing what they think is best for Iowa athletics.

The $ bump. The teams coming in. The NIL. The whole landscape is changing very very quickly. You become a sinking ship in this landscape, and with what's to come, it's about to become harder and harder to recover.

She's finally the one that gets it. Barta's life as AD was relatively easy in terms of hiring/firing...aka did almost nothing. If the collateral damage of firing Brian is losing Kirk, in the interest of showing we're willing to make a change to compete. SO BE IT. If Kirk wants to end his 25+ years career looking like a little bitch bc someone fired his kid - a situation HE created - SO BE IT.

Last edited:
If KF retires, he won't be petulant about it. He will retire and be magnanimous. He is on the Iowa Athletics Mount Rushmore and will exit with grace, and not whining about his kid. Whether firing Brian played a role in the decision, he will not say that. KF is class.

If KF retires, he won't be petulant about it. He will retire and be magnanimous. He is on the Iowa Athletics Mount Rushmore and will exit with grace, and not whining about his kid. Whether firing Brian played a role in the decision, he will not say that. KF is class.
You're right. He absolutely won't even elude to it. But he wouldn't have to. Human nature is what it is.

Lets say BF was on pace to get over the 325 pt mark comfortably and had we beat MN and ended up marching into Indianapolis to put up a fight. If those things woulda happened KF and BF wouldn't be going anywhere. I don't think Goetz does this. (even though she would've still wanted to) I think the band woulda been all brought back next yr.

Now granted we knew 3 games in 325 wasn't happening for BF and things looked auspicious at best as the yr got started even before the major injuries hit. Which he'll probably blame for things even though all that did was make things more obvious. Iowa's O has a low ceiling on it and has for quite awhile. Things just totally bottomed out now with Hill in there

Knowing that this season was going to always be an uphill climb for BF to have much success is why I figured this was going to be it for KF and him both. I just didn't think we'd get any kind of mid season announcement about it.

KF is class, but he is also not an idiot. He will probably say something vague that indicates his feelings, but he will not come out directly and say it. That’s what he does.

I will say on the surface, in all likelihood, Brian being dismissed was a move needed to be made. I'm still surprised they did it now. There has to be more, beneath the surface, we are not seeing (and will probably will never see or learn about) leading to making this annoucement now.

I'm not sure why they could not have waited until the end of the year to not make this such a distraction.

What happens if Brian's team lights the world on fire down the stretch? Highly, highly unlikely......but remember Mr. Davis had his final team that went on a Sweet 16 run.

Brian Ferentz is no Mr. Davis, but the only thing I can think of (beside having a shit hole dump of an offense) is he pissed some people off behind the scenes. Brian does seem like a piece of work.

I mean, what if they won the Big Ten Title....and the offense looked like it had a brain? Not happening, but still.

Just like you have to score 25 points or else.....what if you win the game 10-7? Just kind of seems like another fumbling of sorts.....but with maybe a more favorable outcome.
Brian is/was going to be a distraction no matter what.

Kirk was hurting yesterday at that presser, that's for sure...he had a hard time holding it together at the beginning. It was telling that he kept falling back on the '25 years' mantra of 'how we do things'. He's really pissed now, and if he had to decide today whether to come back with the new landscape of losing his personal power over the program, NIL, expansion of the BTen and elimination of Divisions -- he'd probably hang it up.
But he's a big boy, and when the season ends and Brian gets a job elsewhere, the anger will probably begin to subside and he'll realize he's still got a pretty good gig. He likes challenges, and even more he likes to prove the naysayers wrong. My guess is he'll be back in 2024.
But don't ask him today.

Kirk was hurting yesterday at that presser, that's for sure...he had a hard time holding it together at the beginning. It was telling that he kept falling back on the '25 years' mantra of 'how we do things'. He's really pissed now, and if he had to decide today whether to come back with the new landscape of losing his personal power over the program, NIL, expansion of the BTen and elimination of Divisions -- he'd probably hang it up.
But he's a big boy, and when the season ends and Brian gets a job elsewhere, the anger will probably begin to subside and he'll realize he's still got a pretty good gig. He likes challenges, and even more he likes to prove the naysayers wrong. My guess is he'll be back in 2024.
But don't ask him today.
Interesting take. It's not impossible that he'd come back. Obviously he can if he wants it's totally up to him. I just lean towards everything points towards him being done and somewhere around the bowl game either during that month of prep or shortly after we'll find out he's retiring. That time between then and signing day is a pretty big deal and to have a coach on the fence at that time wouldn't be good and he knows that. So he'll want to be definitive on if he's coming back or not during that time period. That's not even considering the whole shopping for a new OC which would ideally be done then too.

If my son was offered at Iowa on offense and I saw what this does in operation, I would advise against in 100%, unless a tight end. Great move, we need some good moves at Iowa.

I sincerely hope so.
It is in his best interest to make it seem like good terms. Whether he stays or not, I want him to go out on what appear to be good terms, even if there's underlying issues. Just make it look like it is good. Hat eating by all parties would be a good thing. Including fans. Whether it's now....or x years from now.

What's happened with coaching for the Iowa football program is not even anachronistic. It's improbable, unique, and I believe has paid off.

Brian is/was going to be a distraction no matter what.
I think if Brian has any pride just be done now. Can you imagine what chants will be said in the crowds next. I'd just bite down on that Ole crow now and walk. What you going to do fire me if we suck or hire me back if we score shit tons. I know if my boss came up to me and said you're fired but want you to stay on for the next couple months I'd say F**k you! Atleast I hope I would but going on 35 years she just hasn't fired me yet to try it out.

Latest posts