Best Running Backs of the Ferentz Era

WinOneThisCentury

Wow...just wow. When Canzeri, who has barely played healthy is number 10, and Weisman (a fullback) is number 6, that goes to show you we haven't recruited RB's well in the last 15 years, kept them healthy, or in the program. Seriously...we are a running team...in 15 years we should have 7 or 8 guys that are legitimate tailbacks with the stats to back it up. Sims belongs at 4 and Young at five...not sure why the joint entry. They were both great backs. 6-10 is pretty embarrassing...not to slam their talent, but Wegher one year, Canzeri been hurt his whole career, Weisman is a fullback with limited open space skills...just seems like we should have more than 5 solid guys with track records over 15 years.

Thought it would be better. The Top 4 on the list are spot on than WTF happened seriously 5-10 are quite blah. Wow!

Thats just the level of talent the team has had over the years at the position, and the crazy witch doctor voodoo curse.

If the Iowa coaching staff would put red jerseys on running backs and punish anyone who hits a running back hard during practice, I'm sure there'd be less incidents of running back injury. Maybe less incidents of the 'crazy witch doctor's curse' (unless you're referring to the crazy W.D. being KF). Especially this year. Having, IMO, 2 capable running backs to start the season.

I know KF decides playing time on practice. Maybe, however, there should be exceptions to this rule. Exceptions that might not cause injury.

Last edited:
Watching that Wegher highlight video gave me chills longing for those days again. Say what you will about that guy, but he could cut and had speed we havent seen since. The highlights of the Indiana game showed the score and had the number 4 ranking next to Iowa's name. sigh. It wasnt that long ago but it feels like an eternity

If the Iowa coaching staff would put red jerseys on running backs and punish anyone who hits a running back hard during practice, I'm sure there'd be less incidents of running back injury. Maybe less incidents of the 'crazy witch doctor's curse' (unless you're referring to the crazy W.D. being KF). Especially this year. Having, IMO, 2 capable running backs to start the season.

I know KF decides playing time on practice. Maybe, however, there should be exceptions to this rule. Exceptions that might not cause injury.

I would assume most runningback injuries come from making cuts and other non contact reasons.

if shonn green returned for his Sr season and duplicated his 08 season and why not on a great 09 team then Shonn is definitely a solid #1 on this list. Barring injury I think he would have done it in 09.

Betts was tough

Best player to fit the Iowa scheme: Fred Russell and Shonn Greene

The most physically gifted: Jermelle Lewis

The least talented that was the most productive: A-Rob. It would be MW, but he played out of position.

Jewell Hampton was more productive in his 1.5 seasons than MW JC combined, you could even throw bullock in their and Hampton was better. MW and JC have the upper hand on Paki O'mera though

Jewell Hampton was more productive in his 1.5 seasons than MW JC combined, you could even throw bullock in their and Hampton was better. MW and JC have the upper hand on Paki O'mera though

I get that some folks "hate" Weisman, either because he was utilized where he was needed or because they're anti-Semitic or he's white or whatever. But to say No-Knees Hampton <<was more productive in 1.5 seasons>> is laughable. He may have gone on to a decent career at SIU and even made the 49ers. As a Hawkeye, in terms of productivity, it ain't even close.

Marcus Schnoor says helloo.. ha jk.
That year Greene had was almost storybook. Just perfect type of RB with that line and team. Can't blame him for leaving after that year no RB at his age in that situation would have stayed.
Wegher is just such a huge what coulda been story. His skills set and upside was just off the charts. I never understood those that wanted to move him to wr. He had vision and toughness and a nose for the goaline. I think if he'd have stayed he would have separated himself from Arob and would have had a big soph year and overall career. Arob wasn't bad at all don't get me wrong. But he wasn't Wegher...
I don't understand all the MW hate. The guy wasn't that bad. The guy scored a boat load of TDs and kept us in games that without him we may not have even been in otherwise. It's not his fault that the coaches called so many outside zone running plays for him that were nothing more then wasted plays. I maintain that if he'd have been used better he could have been even more effective then he was. No body can logically say he wasn't any good. You can't accidently put up the numbers and TDs he did. So much of last year I put on the coaches and Oline under performing then him.

I haven't looked at the list.....where is it?

Here's my Top 5, totally off the cuff

1) Shonn Greene; His running roughshod over Wisconsin & South Carolina, always on my mind!
2) Ladell Betts; Played with not as talented a line, but very productive. Long NFL career
3) Fred Russell; Cue up the 2004 Outback BEATDOWN of Florida
4) Brandon Wegher Yes, in one season; I saw enough to put him here.
5) J Lewis/ M Coker; da** it Coker.........what might have been.........

Seems everyone has forgotten about Albert Young. I watched that MSU game from 07 and remembered how quick he was. He knew how to run behind the zone. He was injured a lot though.

Seems everyone has forgotten about Albert Young. I watched that MSU game from 07 and remembered how quick he was. He knew how to run behind the zone. He was injured a lot though.

Guilty as charged. I remember A-rob more than I do AY. AY was the more physically gifted version of A-rob I should remember AY more, but for some reason I just don't. Probably because of all the injuries.

Latest posts