Best Running Backs of the Ferentz Era

Can't believe Brownlee doesn't even rat Honorable Mention for literally carrying the team for some 300 yards in 2004

Seems everyone has forgotten about Albert Young. I watched that MSU game from 07 and remembered how quick he was. He knew how to run behind the zone. He was injured a lot though.

I liked Albert Young. Very solid Hawkeye RB.
He wasn't in my Top 5, but would be in my Top 10.
And I think A-Rob would be, as well. Really too bad A-Rob couldn't keep out of
trouble. He could have had a great Senior year, as a Hawkeye.
But, I was 19 years old, once too.

It's hard to do a top 5 list since we've been blessed with so many good running backs. If I had to go top 5 it would be, 1-Green 2-Betts 3-Russell 4-Young 5-Coker. That being said I really wish we would have been able to see what Jermelle Lewis could have done injury free. That guy was loaded with talent.

It's hard to do a top 5 list since we've been blessed with so many good running backs. If I had to go top 5 it would be, 1-Green 2-Betts 3-Russell 4-Young 5-Coker. That being said I really wish we would have been able to see what Jermelle Lewis could have done injury free. That guy was loaded with talent.

I like this list. Maybe switch Young and Russell but otherwise...

What's so unfortunate is that we've have so many "if they could have stayed healthy or on the team or one more year" scenarios. Very few 3 full year starter scenarios, with that it would help greatly.

I like this list. Maybe switch Young and Russell but otherwise...

What's so unfortunate is that we've have so many "if they could have stayed healthy or on the team or one more year" scenarios. Very few 3 full year starter scenarios, with that it would help greatly.

Don't know that I would switch them, but I do remember BOTH Russell and Lewis, during summer practices, saying AY was the best they had seen in terms of talent, skills, all-around good football player, etc. Of course, he never saw the field in 2003, got hurt early (same game as Schnoor, I believe) in 2004, and hurt again in 2006 which really lingered into 2007.

He basically had one full, healthy season (2005), and it was a pretty good one. IIRC, he led B1G "conference games-only" rushing.

Sad thing was, despite how much 2007 sucked, when both AY and Sims went for 100 against NIU at Soldier Field, you got the feeling it could be an awesome year.

While I didn't like the way the JR/CJB situation was handled, it's pretty obvious that the only way we can be successful throughout a given season is legitimate, effective, vertical stretching of the field. 2007 proved that to be the case, IMO.

I'd have to say Fred Russell. Man he sure could hit it up in there. And his speed going wide wasn't to bad either.

Latest posts