Best of the Big Ten & Bowl Slotting: Sweet for Hawks

It's a 3-3-5. Their DC Greg Robinson installed the 3-4 when he got there last year, and Rich Rod changed to the 3-3-5 because its what he knows and what he did at WV. It seems rinky dink for the Big Ten.

wow that's awful. so an offensive coach is controlling the scheme of the defense too? I know Robinson doesn't have the greatest resume, but RR takes that over as well? Both sides of the ball are more complicated than traditional styles, very few of their kids played those schemes in high school, and the head coach is trying to do it all--no wonder they are where they are.

I disagree about Michigan needing a "rebuild." They have great personnel on the OL, a terrific group of WRs ... WRs who can block no less, and some good RBs.

Lastly, even if a new Michigan coach doesn't think that Denard is a good enough passing QB ... they can always opt for Forcier, who IS a fine passing QB. Besides, Denard would still be able to develop into a great RB and/or WR for them .... and he could still operate wildcat looks that so many OCs seem to like these days.

As for on D, the new coach will have A LOT of experience at talent to play with in both the secondary and the DL. With all the injured guys coming back for 2011 ... they'll likely have the deepest secondary in the Big 10. Furthermore, Roh will finally have a chance to get utilized correctly under a new regime.

The primary "hole" in the Michigan D will invariably be their LBs. However, even then, Demens is pretty darn good ... it's just that almost everybody else hasn't developed all that well.

Of course, the above is not to say that Michigan will be "all world" under a new coach in 2011. However, I do believe that they'll be capable of being VERY competitive. Heck, if I were a new coach at Michigan ... I'd probably try to poach from Illinois and steal their DC. That, in itself, would likely work some wonders for the Wolverines.

I disagree about Michigan needing a "rebuild." They have great personnel on the OL, a terrific group of WRs ... WRs who can block no less, and some good RBs.

Lastly, even if a new Michigan coach doesn't think that Denard is a good enough passing QB ... they can always opt for Forcier, who IS a fine passing QB. Besides, Denard would still be able to develop into a great RB and/or WR for them .... and he could still operate wildcat looks that so many OCs seem to like these days.

As for on D, the new coach will have A LOT of experience at talent to play with in both the secondary and the DL. With all the injured guys coming back for 2011 ... they'll likely have the deepest secondary in the Big 10. Furthermore, Roh will finally have a chance to get utilized correctly under a new regime.

The primary "hole" in the Michigan D will invariably be their LBs. However, even then, Demens is pretty darn good ... it's just that almost everybody else hasn't developed all that well.

Of course, the above is not to say that Michigan will be "all world" under a new coach in 2011. However, I do believe that they'll be capable of being VERY competitive. Heck, if I were a new coach at Michigan ... I'd probably try to poach from Illinois and steal their DC. That, in itself, would likely work some wonders for the Wolverines.
UM's secondary wasn't going to be good even with Woolfolk, and have been horrible without him. To say their secondary will be the deepest in the B10 is a real stretch. Deep with below average players maybe. The RB's are below average to me and aren't ideal for any system other than the spread. The WR group is fast and shifty but also smallish. UM is a few years (and new coach) away from been B10 title quality.

wow that's awful. so an offensive coach is controlling the scheme of the defense too? I know Robinson doesn't have the greatest resume, but RR takes that over as well? Both sides of the ball are more complicated than traditional styles, very few of their kids played those schemes in high school, and the head coach is trying to do it all--no wonder they are where they are.

So then the question becomes, not who is going in to Minnesota (because who cares about the Goophers?) but who is going to replace Senor Rodriguez in Michigan? True, one of the highest prized coaching jobs in America, but it comes with a lot of drama now and restrictions for the next three years....who wants to put up with that on TOP of completely overhauling that program and it's schemes?..better question, who is CAPABLE of doing all of that?

UM's secondary wasn't going to be good even with Woolfolk, and have been horrible without him. To say their secondary will be the deepest in the B10 is a real stretch. Deep with below average players maybe. The RB's are below average to me and aren't ideal for any system other than the spread. The WR group is fast and shifty but also smallish. UM is a few years (and new coach) away from been B10 title quality.

The Michigan secondary has been horrible in large part because they're so young. They've also been terrible because they're in the wrong scheme in the wrong conference. The 3-3-5 is simply too ill-conceived for the Big 10. I understand liking speed ... however, it's also critical in the Big 10 to be able to stop the run with consistency.

Anyhow, I'm willing to posit that with the right coaching, the Michigan secondary has the talent and potential to be a very good unit.

As the grand experiment over at Illinois has proven, having a very good DC who cares about teaching and player development can have both a significant AND immediate impact on the team.

Of course, fufred, as a tOSU fan, is probably a bit too blinded by his dislike of Michigan to be objective on this matter.

Latest posts