Best Hawkeye News in the Last Four Years

Teddy

"But I really didn't watch a ton of the games. Our system is nothing like what's been done here in the past. I wanted to give everybody a clean slate. It's been good." Tim Lester.

Sorry if it's been covered got online late tonight. Just a wonderful thought.​

I guess I am getting old but I will believe it when I see it. I want to believe Iowa"s offense will improve but I am skeptical about how much has changed.

You can install new gimmicky offenses that may trick defenses for a series or 2, but Big Ten defensive coordinaters are too smart and will make adjustments. I guess the real test will come when we see what adjustments Tim Lester makes in-game to counter act the defensive adjustments.

We don't have to be gimmicky. Just play offense using our strengths. We were dead last before. We don't need that much improvement to make us a better overall team.

I have a fundamental problem with the basic construct of the offense, which Kirk has said won’t change.

We will always be a run first, playaction offense. This means that almost every drive comes down to the QB having to complete a pass on 3rd multiple times to score.

We have bad QBs and bad WRs. It focuses the pressure on the weakest part of the team. We’re going into the 5th year in a row with abysmal QB play making me wish for Stanley’s above average of years past.

Not going to the spring scrimmage this year because I know I won't see any change. Lester will probable take a couple of years to be able to change anything that can be noticed except by experts, which I am not. I watched the D last year have to pull up on every play as not to murder the QB and RBs. Even before Cade got hurt he would have been sacked on almost every play by a guy who never even played last year. Since the tackle positions haven't been fixed I really don't have any hope for the offense this year. Iowa has to be looking for OL, QB, and WR that can play at the division 1 level. That said just a mild improvement makes them a contender to finish in the top half of the Big ? "How many now?" I can't keep up.

Fix the oline and the offense would be way better. It’s the oline. It’s the oline. It’s the oline. I would put any NIL money towards a couple of dominant offensive linemen and then watch as the Hawks march to the playoffs.

Well, we do need linemen, although the guys are 3 and 4 year players. Lester's interview yesterday makes it sound like he and KF are working hard with the linemen to improve technique and understand the line's role in a completely new offense.

Well, the offense will run a RPO this year, which means what? The QB takes the snap from shotgun, then has the (option) to hand off (run) or keep the ball and (pass). But does that mean any WR will actually be open? And if they are open, is there any QB that can actually complete the pass to the WR?

To be honest, do we really think Farence has a drive to be successful this year? I mean I don't think he wants to lose ballgames or anything, but what's his motivation? The better Jim Chester does with this offense, the dumber KF and his kid look. His one and only career goal once he got Brain hired was to be succeeded by his son. He had more money than he could spend in five lifetimes by that point, he had had more on-field success than 99% of football coaches will ever have, all three of his boys had played for him, he was the longest tenured B1G coach, universally admired for his coaching results...literally the only thing left that was actually attainable (Iowa was never going to win a natty or make a 4 team playoff) was to hand the throne to his golden child and that got unceremoniously taken away from him by the donors he had schmoozed for so many years.

So not only did his last bucket list item not come to fruition, it failed to come to fruition in a humiliating fashion. That humiliation would only get amplified and also turned into the world's biggest "I told you so" if the new OC caught fire.

Let's not kid ourselves that KF and the whole Ferentz family (including the current Iowa Don of recruiting) thought that BF getting fired was bullshit. How much camaraderie and chemistry can there really be on that staff and how much hunger can there really be at the top to go out there and blow people's doors off? Seth Wallace worships KF. The speech he gave when he got assistant HC was absolutely barf-worthy. You think he's gonna be buddies with this new guy? Ladell Betts, who played for Farence? Budmayr and Barnett...who both ROUNDLY suck at their jobs but were given (and allowed to keep) those jobs by KF?

KF is on record saying the basic offense isn’t changing. Ain’t gonna see anything different this year.
He is on record as saying the overall philosophy is not changing of playing complimentary football on offense. That is way different than saying the scheme won't change. KF is saying that the offense is expected to protect the ball, play field position football, score when opportunities arise, but not put the defense in a bad position. That is what he means.

As far as scheme? It sounds quite different. More presnap motion. More shotgun. RPOs. I even saw a quote about Lainez and read options. The terminology is completely different as well.

The offense will look more like Greg Davis' offense, which was very different from KOK's and BFs. It will look different.

Will it be any better? Probably. Remarkably so? Probably not. The scheme will not be as predictable and we have a lot of returning starters. Just getting us out of the basement by 25 teams and having a pulse on offense could make a huge different in the scheme of the games.

To be honest, do we really think Farence has a drive to be successful this year? I mean I don't think he wants to lose ballgames or anything, but what's his motivation? The better Jim Chester does with this offense, the dumber KF and his kid look. His one and only career goal once he got Brain hired was to be succeeded by his son. He had more money than he could spend in five lifetimes by that point, he had had more on-field success than 99% of football coaches will ever have, all three of his boys had played for him, he was the longest tenured B1G coach, universally admired for his coaching results...literally the only thing left that was actually attainable (Iowa was never going to win a natty or make a 4 team playoff) was to hand the throne to his golden child and that got unceremoniously taken away from him by the donors he had schmoozed for so many years.

So not only did his last bucket list item not come to fruition, it failed to come to fruition in a humiliating fashion. That humiliation would only get amplified and also turned into the world's biggest "I told you so" if the new OC caught fire.

Let's not kid ourselves that KF and the whole Ferentz family (including the current Iowa Don of recruiting) thought that BF getting fired was bullshit. How much camaraderie and chemistry can there really be on that staff and how much hunger can there really be at the top to go out there and blow people's doors off? Seth Wallace worships KF. The speech he gave when he got assistant HC was absolutely barf-worthy. You think he's gonna be buddies with this new guy? Ladell Betts, who played for Farence? Budmayr and Barnett...who both ROUNDLY suck at their jobs but were given (and allowed to keep) those jobs by KF?
Bad take. Come on. You must be a pretty petty person if you think it likely that anyone at the top of their field would tank their professional career over a spat involving a family member. KF did not rise to the level of being the Dean of College Football by being only marginally interested in winning. That is not the way that KF or any of these high level coaches are wired. I guess we can expect Fran to tank next season as well given all his family drama and the program.

Sorry, this take is not remotely accurate or interesting.

Bad take. Come on. You must be a pretty petty person if you think it likely that anyone at the top of their field would tank their professional career over a spat involving a family member. KF did not rise to the level of being the Dean of College Football by being only marginally interested in winning. That is not the way that KF or any of these high level coaches are wired. I guess we can expect Fran to tank next season as well given all his family drama and the program.

Sorry, this take is not remotely accurate or interesting.
I'm not saying tank, and I said in my post I don't think he'd be fine losing games. 2nd sentence.

I do stand by what I wrote...do I think the guy has a strong drive to have this offense be heads and tails above when his kid was running the show? My opinion is no. I also think there's no way this staff can have a good dynamic between everyone.

Especially at the college ranks, the staff is picked by the boss man. They get typically get hired, fired, and quit as a unit hand picked by the boss man. When a group of people comes along and basically tells the boss his choice for the job sucks and forces him to go hire someone else, that's not an easy pill to swallow. When it's said boss's child, it's even worse.

As far as scheme? It sounds quite different. More presnap motion. More shotgun. RPOs. I even saw a quote about Lainez and read options. The terminology is completely different as well.
All of that is fine and dandy until we see it on the field. Everyone thought things would be different under Davis and Brain as well (for better or for worse), and it wasn't.

"But I really didn't watch a ton of the games. Our system is nothing like what's been done here in the past. I wanted to give everybody a clean slate. It's been good." Tim Lester.

Sorry if it's been covered got online late tonight. Just a wonderful thought.​
Baby steps here's to hoping. That's great and needed to be done. (I'll still believe it when I see it though it's only April) Now they gotta start getting the personnel capable of executing it. Hill isn't capable of executing any D1 offenses and if he's in position to end up playing at all next yr that would be a total shit show. So unless I see him last on the depth chart or in the portal I won't be too comfortable.

I'm not saying tank, and I said in my post I don't think he'd be fine losing games. 2nd sentence.

I do stand by what I wrote...do I think the guy has a strong drive to have this offense be heads and tails above when his kid was running the show? My opinion is no. I also think there's no way this staff can have a good dynamic between everyone.

Especially at the college ranks, the staff is picked by the boss man. They get typically get hired, fired, and quit as a unit hand picked by the boss man. When a group of people comes along and basically tells the boss his choice for the job sucks and forces him to go hire someone else, that's not an easy pill to swallow. When it's said boss's child, it's even worse.
I think you can be pissed about how it was handled, but still have just as big a drive to win moving forward. One should have nothing to do with the other. And as we have discussed when this happened, KF is not stupid and he could see the same results we saw and that BF was not close to hitting the contract markers that he and his good buddy, Barta, signed off on. BF was not coming back in'24 regardless, KF just would have preferred this not go down in season and he probably wanted BF to leave more on his own accord.

Despite all the BF drama, sprinkle in Proctor, and other coaching moves, from what I can tell Fort Kinnick seems to remain and undivided house loyal to KF. We have not seen backstabbing quotes from anonymous sources about any of these topics and everyone seems to be toeing the company line. We have also not seen material defections and transfers.

This seems to me from the outside to be a focused program that is dedicated to winning and is trying to get better in every phase of the game. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I will continue to believe KF has the same focus and dedication to winning that he always has, and that he is going to execute this season under the same Iowa Way blueprint that he always has. For better or worse.

He is on record as saying the overall philosophy is not changing of playing complimentary football on offense. That is way different than saying the scheme won't change. KF is saying that the offense is expected to protect the ball, play field position football, score when opportunities arise, but not put the defense in a bad position. That is what he means.

The offense will look more like Greg Davis' offense, which was very different from KOK's and BFs. It will look different.

Will it be any better? Probably. Remarkably so? Probably not. The scheme will not be as predictable and we have a lot of returning starters. Just getting us out of the basement by 25 teams and having a pulse on offense could make a huge different in the scheme of the games.
I have never bought into the view that KF was not going to change anything due to his commitment to complementary football. I think any coach not committed to that basic construct is a fool.
The new O is Shanahan picked up by Lester and modified further by his experiences as a player and coach. Additionally, his time with the Packers put him in touch with another Shanahan disciple, Matt LaFluer. I posted several times earlier in the OC search that NFL coaches should be the priority. We came pretty close to my opinion.

I have never bought into the view that KF was not going to change anything due to his commitment to complementary football. I think any coach not committed to that basic construct is a fool.
The new O is Shanahan picked up by Lester and modified further by his experiences as a player and coach. Additionally, his time with the Packers put him in touch with another Shanahan disciple, Matt LaFluer. I posted several times earlier in the OC search that NFL coaches should be the priority. We came pretty close to my opinion.
I have never bought into the view that KF was not going to change anything due to his commitment to complementary football. I think any coach not committed to that basic construct is a foo
Oopsy

Latest posts