Best Defense I have Ever Seen

I think this is a conversation that should be had after the season is over. The 2003 and 2008 squads come to mind as the best in recent history IMO. That's not intended to take anything away from this year's team though. They are elite for sure.

While this defense is flashier and more productive in terms of outright scoring and points off turnovers....

Those "six seconds of hell" in 2009 were pretty good too. As an opposing player in 2009, I would have gone into that game with trepidation at the very least, if not outright fear.

I’d say for their time I’ve seen better defenses. That 2009 had the best line we’ve ever had with Clayborn, Daniels, Ballard and Klug plus Hyde and Sash in the secondary.

That year was Norm’s magnum opus and the final word on defending the triple option in that orange bowl.

However, the transformation under Phil Parker has been stunning. We’ve gone from a D that stops the power running of the Big10 and then gets gashed by mobile QBs and spread offenses into a modern multiple defense that defends everything well.

I’d say for their time I’ve seen better defenses. That 2009 had the best line we’ve ever had with Clayborn, Daniels, Ballard and Klug plus Hyde and Sash in the secondary.

That year was Norm’s magnum opus and the final word on defending the triple option in that orange bowl.

However, the transformation under Phil Parker has been stunning. We’ve gone from a D that stops the power running of the Big10 and then gets gashed by mobile QBs and spread offenses into a modern multiple defense that defends everything well.
Your last sentence is what makes me think this is the best defense we've had. Our past defenses would get gashed for late scores when the opponent got into pass only mode.

Latest posts