Ben Jacobsen and the Iowa job

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I have written and spoken about this, about how I would rather not see him as Iowa's next coach.

I like Ben, he is a good guy, and he clearly can coach. I haven't said differently.

However, i would rather see Iowa go in a direction that is more palatable with regards to style. In the end, wins are more important than anything, and if I knew we'd be guaranteed a winner, I'd welcome any style.

But there are no guarantees...Jacobsen has never recruited in the waters he will have to recruit in to be successful at Iowa...same for Lickliter, same for Alford. So yes, some past sins of others are being visited on Jacobsen in my mind, fair or not.

Whomever Iowa hires better be a really good recruiter, or hire a couple of them. Jacobsen would have to go out and do just that because he's not had to do that at UNI.

I guess he could, but I just woudn't be too excited about it...but I'd root for him to be successful.

How about you? Am I in the minority here? If UNI somehow pulls the upset over Kansas, does that change your opinion? Does the fact that there is already someone working that side of the street in the Big Ten (Wisconsin) make a difference on how successful that style can or cannot be?

What did Perrault say? Does he think Jake to Iowa is a good idea? If so, yes, drugs are involved. Actually, with Matt, it's natural.

Question for you. I realize that recruiting someone and landing someone is different. They offered Zach McCabe before Iowa did. They have an offer to Marcus Paige. They offered Eric May. I'm not sure how Jacobsen would do either, hell we don't know how Bruce Pearl would do. If we have the money why don't we hire Ben Jacobsen and give Ben the money to go out and hire 1 or 2 top assistants. I don't think we should throw him out the window because the 1st 2 mid majors we hired weren't prepared. Lets make sure he is prepared and equiped to recruit in the big 10. I've said it several times that our updating facilities will benefit any coach we get. It would have increases Alford & Licks chances as well.

Even if the panthers make a run at the final four, I would not want to see Ben as our coach. Style of play and a lack of experience of recruiting at a major conference level are my reasons. Plus, I'd like to see him stay at UNI and keep that program rolling. The state of Iowa deserves two dominate basketball programs, Iowa and UNI.

It was a total mouth breather take. He is absolutely clueless. The Mo. Valley is a garbage conference right now. The Iowa job is still a GREAT job. We just need the right coach.

Jacbosen cannot be Iowa's next coach. There would be a meltdown in Hawkeye nation. Huge. That would be a terrible choice. There are many other much better candidates.

Iowa is not going to pay Todd Lickliter 2.4 million to not coach the team and then turn around and hire Ben Jacobsen.

I don't want Ben as our next coach. I would rather win (like you Jon) playing an uptempo style of ball and Ben is too much of a risk hire. I think he would be like Lickliter in that he can do well at a mid major, but struggle in the Big Ten Conference. I do think he is a bit more likable compared to Lickliter, but that does not take much.

We have better options out there for what our situation needs.

That, and that Jake would turn down the job.

Maybe he sees the Iowa job as broken. I've heard that he may be sought by "bigger" programs.

I'm less concerned about style and more concerned about coaching ability. I'm also less concerned about personality. He's young,energetic, and his players love playing for him. I think he'd be smart enough to assemble the right kind of staff that can recruit.

But like I've been saying, I understand why people would be against it.

I have written and spoken about this, about how I would rather not see him as Iowa's next coach.

I like Ben, he is a good guy, and he clearly can coach. I haven't said differently.

However, i would rather see Iowa go in a direction that is more palatable with regards to style. In the end, wins are more important than anything, and if I knew we'd be guaranteed a winner, I'd welcome any style.

But there are no guarantees...Jacobsen has never recruited in the waters he will have to recruit in to be successful at Iowa...same for Lickliter, same for Alford. So yes, some past sins of others are being visited on Jacobsen in my mind, fair or not.

Whomever Iowa hires better be a really good recruiter, or hire a couple of them. Jacobsen would have to go out and do just that because he's not had to do that at UNI.

I guess he could, but I just woudn't be too excited about it...but I'd root for him to be successful.

How about you? Am I in the minority here? If UNI somehow pulls the upset over Kansas, does that change your opinion? Does the fact that there is already someone working that side of the street in the Big Ten (Wisconsin) make a difference on how successful that style can or cannot be?

I agree with you. Looking forward to exciting, up-tempo basketball.

Style is very high on my wish list. No thanks. It would have made more sense to give TL another year than than to hire Ben.

Style is very high on my wish list. No thanks. It would have made more sense to give TL another year than than to hire Ben.

I understand the argument for style, but keeping TL would have meant another year of mass defections I guarantee it. I don't think any of us would rather have THAT then have Jake as coach.

Latest posts