Ben Howland out at UCLA.....The Mayor a Candidate??

SPGroth

Saw on Twitter this afternoon from a Cedar Rapids Sports journalist asking if Fred Hoiberg would consider this jump? I guess if the money was there? ISU has already lost one of the "sports legends" to another school.

Fred might jump to the NBA someday, but he won't go to another college, no matter the money.

But, of course, he can't coach at all if you listen to those on HN, so I guess ISU is stuck with him. :D

Fred might jump to the NBA someday, but he won't go to another college, no matter the money.

But, of course, he can't coach at all if you listen to those on HN, so I guess ISU is stuck with him. :D
This.

Why would UCLA want a coach who can't get past the second round of the NCAA Tournament???

:p

Shaka Smart

I think it is really impressive what he has done at VCU but you would be a complete moron to turn this job over down. You would have absolutely everything possible to bring in big name players, and on top of that, players want to play the type of style that Shaka wants to play.

I told my kids I would send them to any school in the country except one so my 'Clone-hatin' credentials are solid. I do have to say Hoiberg has done a great job and will have other opportunities. Making all those transfers fit into his program and stay out of trouble is not easy. Royce White was a problem everywhere he has ever been before and after ISU but Hoiberg got an all-world season out of the guy and kept him out of the court system. I hope he gets a better job soon so the Clones can get back to where they belong.

good god, people. Some random individual on twitter/facebook/etc says it...so it's immediately TRUE? Has the populus general really become this stupid?

My bad. rhetorical question.

I don't think the Mayor is going anywhere, but among guys currently coaching their alma mater, I think Bryce Drew of Valpo will be a name to watch for bigger jobs this year and in the future.

For the UCLA job, Donovan, Smart and Stephens are the obvious answers, but I would watch for Memphis' Josh Pastner, who gained extensive experience with West Coast recruiting as an assistant at Arizona for 6 years, to emerge as a hot candidate.

floyd has shot his wad with the transfers/juco. now is his time to bolt b4 reality sets in. he's hit his pinnacle with the clowns.

Who said that? I think the Mayor is great and ISU will be lucky to be stuck with him for as long as he stays. You can ignore the armchair coach who said Fred should've fouled Ohio St when the game was tied under 30 seconds. The defensive game plan was solid for that last possession and the execution was impeccable, the only problem was that the terrible shooter, who Fred wanted to take the winning shot, made an anomalous 3 at the last second. Not just today, but in his whole tenure, Hoiberg has done a terrific job.

Who said that? I think the Mayor is great and ISU will be lucky to be stuck with him for as long as he stays. You can ignore the armchair coach who said Fred should've fouled Ohio St when the game was tied under 30 seconds. The defensive game plan was solid for that last possession and the execution was impeccable, the only problem was that the terrible shooter, who Fred wanted to take the winning shot, made an anomalous 3 at the last second. Not just today, but in his whole tenure, Hoiberg has done a terrific job.
It has died down here with recent success, but there were plenty of posts about how Bobby Lutz was really the coach, how Fred only relied on his Golden Rolodex, etc.
I will admit that I am surprised at how fast he has caught on and improved having never coached before.

Latest posts