Ben Brust's Game last night

I still love Tucker's game. And his shot still is one of the purest and smooth I've seen.

I disagree. I think weve seen enough to know he is a liability on the defensive end and mentally he checks in and out of games. I think he can be a solid role player on a good team but i dont see how he is a difference maker game in and game out.

This team could use Tucker right now, but that's not what this thread is about... it's about Ben Brust. That guy is going to be good.

? for someone who has seen Brust play - who would you compare his game to?

Is he a physical guard like Woolridge or more of a shooter like Horner?

You love what you saw him do in high school, against high school comp. As a collegian, he's been average at best.

In his defense Freddy, he has only played about what 20 games? I know that is his fault, I'm not defending that, I'm just saying he has time to improve.

In his defense Freddy, he has only played about what 20 games? I know that is his fault, I'm not defending that, I'm just saying he has time to improve.

I'm sure he could improve his overall game and his consistency with time. However, you don't improve things like quickness very much, and frankly you don't see many guys go from being lackadaisical on defense to being outstanding defensive players. In high school Tucker seemed like a good defender because he played loose and played the passing lanes and was pretty good at anticipating. That won't work for him in college because of the differential in quickness.

I'm sure he could improve his overall game and his consistency with time. However, you don't improve things like quickness very much, and frankly you don't see many guys go from being lackadaisical on defense to being outstanding defensive players. In high school Tucker seemed like a good defender because he played loose and played the passing lanes and was pretty good at anticipating. That won't work for him in college because of the differential in quickness.

Good thing for Tucker you don't see too many outstanding defensive players on any DI basketball team. You may see some good team defenses, but lock down defenders are few and far between!

For example, Iowa had a pretty good defense last year, but not one real lock down defender!

Let's see how these kids work out. Brust may be the greatest thing out of Chicago since KG and Isiah Thomas but let the kid get here and establish himself. My one complaint about Iowa fans is their consistent overrating of the incoming talent. This isn't an observation from one year or one player but a lot of Iowa fans get pretty worked up about recruits, then get disappointed with the actual performance.

All this hyping of Brust places a lot of pressure on a kid who by most accounts is not rated in the top 100 of his class

Have you watched any of our games lately? Anyone that is remotely athletic and can score is gonna get hawks fans excited! Our basketball team can barely score any points, so when we see a recruit as touted as burst, we are gonna get pumped! This kid needed to come one year earlier, sadly I don't think lick will be around next year to see him play.

Does Brust save Lick's job, at least for a year?

I like Brust's game, from what I have seen on video.

But, it reminds me alot of Gatens - cept for I feel Gatens is a stronger all around player.

Brust may be the better scorer.

As for if it saves Lick's job.

One player cannot do that.

UNLESS his name is John Wall.

Good thing for Tucker you don't see too many outstanding defensive players on any DI basketball team. You may see some good team defenses, but lock down defenders are few and far between!

For example, Iowa had a pretty good defense last year, but not one real lock down defender!

Low scoring games should not be confused with good defense. There are a lot of good defensive players out there. Iowa's problem is that we don't have anyone who meets that description in our backcourt, and even good team defense requires athleticism. You can't sustain it over the long haul without some individual playmakers, just as individual playmakers are needed on the offensive end at times. Tucker is not the defensive playmaker he once was in HS because of quickness, and IMO to some extent because of a lack of intensity.

This is NOT HS ball anymore, fella.

It is Division I.

And, improving over 4 years is not going to cut it.

Iowa has no improved in (3) years under Lick. What makes you think it is going to get any better in the next (2)?

Improving every year in HS is expected.

But when you are paid $25,000 a year to play ball at the D1 level, you had better lace them up and be ready to go.

Unfortunately, Iowa is in no position to get kids who are fully capable of doing that.

That is not a backhand at this year's club at all. It is more so meaning that the Hawkeye bball program just isn't what it used to be.

Even (3) seasons ago.

This is NOT HS ball anymore, fella.

It is Division I.

And, improving over 4 years is not going to cut it.

Iowa has no improved in (3) years under Lick. What makes you think it is going to get any better in the next (2)?

Improving every year in HS is expected.

But when you are paid $25,000 a year to play ball at the D1 level, you had better lace them up and be ready to go.

Unfortunately, Iowa is in no position to get kids who are fully capable of doing that.

That is not a backhand at this year's club at all. It is more so meaning that the Hawkeye bball program just isn't what it used to be.

Even (3) seasons ago.

If you are saying the need to be better now, I get that, we all wish they were better. If you are saying they won't improve, then I disagree with that totally.

Of course kids are going to improve from Freshman year to Senior year. Most athletes don't hit their prime until ages 28-32. So I don't really get the point you are trying to make. Name for me 10 Iowa players who were worse their JR, SR years over their FR, SO years. I'm sure there are a few, and most would probably be related to injury, or other issues etc...

Deano, my point is that if you are recruiting kids that you think will make a MAJOR improvement over (4) years (ie: a project player), you are already playing from behind.

Iowa USED to be able to handle those things in stride because of the talent surrounding a player. Erek Hansen was surrounded by talented players. When he started at Iowa, he was seen as a shot blocker. At the time he finished, he could score a few points and had a really nice touch to about 10 feet. Oh, an he had some pretty good players around him.

Acie Earl was not seen as an NBA first round pick. But he worked hard to become that. He was on a team with CMS40 (a would-be 1st rounder), and Vinnie Johnson clone (style of play) Val Barnes.

IF a kid came to Iowa the first year of Lick's regime, he would have not been surrounded by much. And, in year three, he would be surrounded by MUCH MUCH less.

THAT is my point. How can a kid "improve" if he is not getting much help from those around him?

Latest posts