Ben Brust's Game last night

HawkeyeBBall

I don't have much time, but like I said, my wife was letting me out to get to a game this weekend. I picked the game last night as I knew that Ben was playing against Ohio St. signee, Lenzelle Smith.

Ben had 37pts and 6 assists according to one paper, but I thought I counted 8 assists. Lenzelle had a good all-around game as well with 29pts and 11rbs.

I was NOT disappointed. Ben can really shoot the ball, pass the ball, create, and had quite possibly one of the best blocks I have seen in a long time.

If you live in the Chicago area and have Comcast, the game was the Game of the Week and will be televised on Monday and Tuesday night at 7:00 on C100, which I believe for most is either channel 4 or 100.

Here are a couple of links to the game, as well as a nice picture.

Boys basketball: Iowa-bound Brust, Sawvell, Mundelein too much for Ohio State-bound Smith, Zion-Benton - chicagotribune.com

Mustangs, Brust get best of Smith, Z-B :: BOYS BASKETBALL :: YourSeason

Daily Herald's Basketball Focus 2009 | Mundelein win just the cure Knar needs

51551370.jpg

He may be the recruit I am looking forward to the most. Seems like a playmaker who will be able to help Payne out in the guard court!

Let's see how these kids work out. Brust may be the greatest thing out of Chicago since KG and Isiah Thomas but let the kid get here and establish himself. My one complaint about Iowa fans is their consistent overrating of the incoming talent. This isn't an observation from one year or one player but a lot of Iowa fans get pretty worked up about recruits, then get disappointed with the actual performance.

All this hyping of Brust places a lot of pressure on a kid who by most accounts is not rated in the top 100 of his class.

Let's see how these kids work out. Brust may be the greatest thing out of Chicago since KG and Isiah Thomas but let the kid get here and establish himself. My one complaint about Iowa fans is their consistent overrating of the incoming talent. This isn't an observation from one year or one player but a lot of Iowa fans get pretty worked up about recruits, then get disappointed with the actual performance.

All this hyping of Brust places a lot of pressure on a kid who by most accounts is not rated in the top 100 of his class.

I understand what you are saying, however I doubt high expectations of incoming recruits are unique just to Iowa fans!!!

Very funny because its all too true.

Love the enthusiasm though.

In fairness, Tucker has every tool to be a very good D1 player with the exception so far of good judgment and /or attitude. Those are things you never know about as a fan. Not saying that he could be everything anyone could have immagined but my guess is if he buckled down and bought full in, he still could be a very good D1 player.

In fairness, Tucker has every tool to be a very good D1 player with the exception so far of good judgment and /or attitude. Those are things you never know about as a fan. Not saying that he could be everything anyone could have immagined but my guess is if he buckled down and bought full in, he still could be a very good D1 player.

His collective performance over his two partial seasons here shows that he is a very streaky shooter, a decent ballhandler, not much of a playmaker, lacks quickness, and doesn't play with much intensity--especially on the defensive end. I thought he would amount to more when we recruited him, but he is what he is.

Ideally, a kid like Tucker would be a role player coming off the bench. He can't run a team and he can't defend an opposing PG because he's not that quick. If he comes back I'd like to see him be drilled to be more selective about his shots and show some intensity, or ride the pine. If he doesn't make it back, not a huge loss. Not a difference-maker.

To me most of his problems seem to be attitude/ judgment or work ethic related. If Anthony buckled down and committed to working hard, i think he would be a solid all around contributer on both ends of the court. I'm not sure if this is something that can/will ever be answered just contending that Tucker's celing is much higher than he has shown so far and Stormin's early praise may not be as misguided as some are suggesting.

Flat out, I think he is a head case that would be a huge asset if he would straighten out.

His collective performance over his two partial seasons here shows that he is a very streaky shooter, a decent ballhandler, not much of a playmaker, lacks quickness, and doesn't play with much intensity--especially on the defensive end. I thought he would amount to more when we recruited him, but he is what he is.

Ideally, a kid like Tucker would be a role player coming off the bench. He can't run a team and he can't defend an opposing PG because he's not that quick. If he comes back I'd like to see him be drilled to be more selective about his shots and show some intensity, or ride the pine. If he doesn't make it back, not a huge loss. Not a difference-maker.

I disagree.

We haven't seen enough of him on the court at the D-1 level to really grade what he has done yet. He'll be a difference maker if he can stay straight.

Latest posts