Ben Brust...we hardly knew ye

Ben didn't commit to Wisconsin. He is visiting at least one other BT school (besides Wisc and Iowa), and communicates with Coach Fran daily, as well as Cully, Marble and McCabe.

I said from the beginning I felt Iowa and Brust should go their own ways. I still feel that way. Still, I have lost a little respect for Bo Ryan. I have no problem with recruits filing appeals. It looks a little shady when other Big Ten programs do it. I can't imagine Iowa doing this regardless of the sport.

I know it's a little different scenario but we stole CJ Fedorwicz, or however you spell it, from Illinois this year. He had committed to Illinois and ended up at Iowa and there wasn't even a coaching change there.

I said from the beginning I felt Iowa and Brust should go their own ways. I still feel that way. Still, I have lost a little respect for Bo Ryan. I have no problem with recruits filing appeals. It looks a little shady when other Big Ten programs do it. I can't imagine Iowa doing this regardless of the sport.

They're going to claim "it's in the best interest of the student..blah blah blah". Like I said, I can't imagine we are reacting any differently than if it happened at any other B10 school. Because of the coaching/philosophy change I can moderately understand, but like someone else said I don't care for the precedent this establishes.

I know it's a little different scenario but we stole CJ Fedorwicz, or however you spell it, from Illinois this year. He had committed to Illinois and ended up at Iowa and there wasn't even a coaching change there.
He never signed a LOI, he was just a verbal. Not even close to the same thing.

More than a "little" different - no LOI involved, no request for waiver of the BT rule that was denied and then appealed by the BT school that would be the beneficiary of the waiver. The CJ situation happens a lot, at every school and to every school. Brust's situation is quite unique - shouldn't blur the line between the two.

What is weird is the poster who says that Brust isn't an automatic to Wisconsin. Say what!? You go through all that trouble and he isn't locked up? No, that can't be.

''a little different scenario''?

yea, the difference being that Ben signed a binding LOI to attend Iowa,while CJ had not signed anything with Illiniois...

that is like a difference between having a date with a gal,and being married to her....ask a woman if that is just'' a little different''.

Accthawk99,

I'm old my friend, pushing 30! I guess I just never noticed it on TV too well, my apologies and great job booing him for me :)

I don't really approve of stealing verbals either. Still, it's an entirely different scenario. CJ was never officially committed to Illinois. Verbals are not binding contracts. Iowa didn't actively file appeals against another Big Ten school to get him.

Something tells me there is more than to this story that meets the eye. One theory on another site is that perhaps FM knew Brusts skill set and style wouldn't match well with Iowa. But had agreed to continue to actively recruit to help create interest from other schools. I feel that is a little far fetched. But anything is possible.

I just find it very ironic that Lick finally has a good recruiting class, we make a move, and rightfully so I might add, and we lose half of the players.....BOOOOOOOO when Wiscy is in town!!!!

Good luck on the bench in Wisconsin Ben. He's not even a consensus top 150 guy and he's acting like he's McD AA material. Usually karma takes care of these situations.

Love the fact that the dominoes should fall. Whichever way they fall, it's all good. I still would like BB to be a Hawk as I believe once a Hawk, always a Hawk (even w/ the baby stuff that has transpired lately). However, I have confidence in Coach to go out and get someone else w/ maybe a little bit different skill set, position. For example, a penetrating PG, a bigger shooting guard, etc... We'll be ok, and at this stage in our blow it up and start over, it's nice to have another scholarship. My 2 cents on if he comes back as a Badger (let him have it!) Despite being friends, I see Cully as bringing his A game against BB as Cully plays w/ some dang heart. - Go Hawks!

Actually, giving him complete silence would be more appropriate...

I also am very anxious to hear the B10's reason for setting a new precedent. This means that every league school now can start recruiting other school's commits once there is even a rumor of the coach leaving...

Yep. And I would EXPECT our coaches to no longer behave like gentlemen and to raid other B10 schools recruits whenever possible. Big 10, welcome to the SEC...

...Despite being friends, I see Cully as bringing his A game against BB as Cully plays w/ some dang heart. - Go Hawks!

This does have some drama to it! That will be exciting to see. Thing is Brust is spot shooter and Fran is going to have Cully be more of a penetrating guard. Brust will get blown by when he meets his replacement!!

Sorry guys but I'm fed up with all these players coming and going as they please. He claimed to have been the biggest Iowa fan ever and now this? I look forward to booing him in Carver, step up student section! We should have been booing Bohannon everytime he played at Carver as well, I'm sick of these instaters ditching our program and players like Brust backing out. I'm sorry but I am just now fed up!!!!

Wisky's football coach has a Tigerhawk tatoo. Enough said. Loyalty is a dying breed.

Latest posts