Ben Brust is ESPN's Player of the Week

Midwest: Ben Brust
Mundelein (Mundelein, Ill.)
It was a matchup between teams led by Big Ten recruits last Saturday night when Brust (a 6-foot-2 point guard who has signed with Iowa) led his team against Zion-Benton (Zion, Ill.) and 6-foot-3 swingman Lenzelle Smith (signed by Ohio State). Brust won the battle on both counts as he had 37 points and six assists in leading Mundelein to an 80-71 victory. Smith countered with 29 points and 10 rebounds. Brust was averaging 28 points per game when he suffered a season-ending broken ankle last January. He didn't resume playing until the summer and appears to be healthy heading into the final two months of his senior season.

This is absoloutely great news! I'm anxious to see this entire class next year.

I wonder if Brust will translate to the next level? Sadly if we don't get someone who can penetrate/create off the dribble (hopefully Brust or Marble can) I think it will be hard for these guys to shine.

This shows you that the recruits we have coming in for 2010 can compete against the top tier Big Ten recruits.

Are we sure there isn't another Ben Burst? This can't be ours because Lick can't recruit.

This is exciting to see. That is some pretty good company in the players of the week. Kyrie Irving is RSCI #4, Perry Jones is RSCI #5, KT Harrell is #71 and Hawkins is signed with ASU.

I can think of ton's of players 6-2 and shorter who can fill it up at the b10 level.

Well two inches make a pretty big deal and this kid is only 6' from what I saw this summer. I just worry that he doesn't have the elite athleticism to become an instant impact type player. We shall see.

Well two inches make a pretty big deal and this kid is only 6' from what I saw this summer. I just worry that he doesn't have the elite athleticism to become an instant impact type player. We shall see.

IAJay, have you seen this from this year yet? I have seen him, and all of the other 3 recruits, play multiple times and he is very athletic and will have no problem getting his shot off.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wvqsHmiv4"]YouTube- Ben Brust 2009-2010[/ame]

Last edited:
IAJay, have you seen this from this year yet? I have seen him, and all of the other 3 recruits, play multiple times and he is very athletic and will have no problem getting his shot off.

Thanks for the video. I love how he can take a few dribbles and hit the pull up jumper with quickness. That move is nearly impossible to stop when you also have the speed to get into the paint and finish.