Believe what you will, Lick could be getting extension...

HawkeyeRyno

Banned
I only post this because after talking to a former player this weekend and it does make some sense as crazy as it sounds.

I'm not mentioning his name but he played under Davis' era and he is a friend of mine so I trust his word. We were talking about several things Iowa and brought up basketball of course. I asked what he thought and obviously he is really disappointed with the current state of the program but told me no matter how bad it has been the last three years (Lick owns the 1st, 2nd and 3rd worst seasons in Iowa history) Barta won't be making a change ANYTIME soon and said - this blew me out of my seat - Barta is in discussions of giving Lickliter an extension BUT NO raise!!!

It sounds crazy but after he explained it makes some sense. Barta is really behind Lick (as he stated he is "100% behind Todd") not only because it was his first major hire but Barta views next season as Lick's first given what he has had to endure with all the departures. Barta wants to give Lick a fresh start next season with his best recruiting class and no player departures.

The extension is to give Lick's recruits a sense of stability so Lick can build a competitive team and not have concerns about recruits wondering if the staff will still be at Iowa while they are there. Also would give Lick the opportunity to use the upcoming practice facility fully and use as a recruiting pitch. The way it sounds, is it would be a 3 year extension but wouldn't include a raise. I assume there is no raise because of the lack of success and I would imagine that a raise would only add to the skepticism.

Just thought this was interesting and I believe my friend's word but I also believe that this may have been something Lick came to Barta with and Barta gave in. I guess we shall see...

Last edited:
I only post this because after talking to a former player this weekend and it does make some sense as crazy as it sounds.

I'm not mentioning his name but he played under Davis' era and he is a friend of mine so I trust his word. We were talking about several things Iowa and brought up basketball of course. I asked what he thought and obviouslly he is really disappointed with the current state of the program but told me no matter how bad it has been the last three years Barta won't be making a change ANYTIME soon and said - this blew me out of my seat - Barta is in discussions of giving Lickliter an extension BUT NO raise!!!

It sounds crazy but after he explained it makes some sense. Barta is really behind Lick (as he stated he is "100% behind Todd") not only because it was his first major hire but Barta views next season as Lick's first given what he has had to endure with all the departures. Barta wants to give Lick a fresh start next season with his best recruiting class and no player departures.

The extension is to give Lick's recruits a sense of stability so Lick can build a competitive team and not have concerns about recruits wondering if the staff will still be at Iowa while they are there. The way it sounds, is it would be a 3 year extension but wouldn't include a raise. I assume there is no raise because of the lack of success and I would imagine that a raise would only add to the skepticism.

Just thought this was interesting and I believe my friend's word but I also believe that this may have been something Lick came to Barta with and Barta gave in. I guess we shall see...

If Barta wants to put his job on the line by giving an extension, then I guess it is his choice.

I'm not mentioning his name but he played under Davis' era and he is a friend of mine so I trust his word. We were talking about several things Iowa and brought up basketball of course. I asked what he thought and obviouslly he is really disappointed with the current state of the program but told me no matter how bad it has been the last three years Barta won't be making a change ANYTIME soon and said - this blew me out of my seat - Barta is in discussions of giving Lickliter an extension BUT NO raise!!!

The extension is to give Lick's recruits a sense of stability so Lick can build a competitive team and not have concerns about recruits wondering if the staff will still be at Iowa while they are there. The way it sounds, is it would be a 3 year extension but wouldn't include a raise. I assume there is no raise because of the lack of success and I would imagine that a raise would only add to the skepticism.

Well I like it. I've been saying for quite awhile now that we needed to give Lick at least 2 more years, but I didn't realize his contract was up after next year, making it a little awkward to give him til the end of the 2012 season. But with no raise, I'm completely comfortable with this, if it really is in the works. People need to realize a couple things: 1. there has been some considerable improvements, and we aren't too far away, and 2. whether it's bad right now or not, a coaching change is only going to make things worse at this point, with the instability and likely transfers and decommitments. The next coach would be under even more fire than Lick is right now.

Well I like it. I've been saying for quite awhile now that we needed to give Lick at least 2 more years, but I didn't realize his contract was up after next year, making it a little awkward to give him til the end of the 2012 season. But with no raise, I'm completely comfortable with this, if it really is in the works. People need to realize a couple things: 1. there has been some considerable improvements, and we aren't too far away, and 2. whether it's bad right now or not, a coaching change is only going to make things worse at this point, with the instability and likely transfers and decommitments. The next coach would be under even more fire than Lick is right now.

LOL

too far away from what?

If true Barta should be fired. No way in hell that a coach that is 13-36 in the Big 10 conf. should get any kind of extension. It would be a huge embarrassment to the University of Iowa.

This would be the death of Iowa basketball.

I could see giving the extension, but I would definitely add a stipulation that without improvement he can be fired without getting any pay left.

I have heard that Lick gets a $75,000 bonus if he finishes out his current contract. That should be a big reason to get rid of him before the 7 years are up. A bonus should be given as a reward for doing a good job. Not what we have seen so far.

I have heard that Lick gets a $75,000 bonus if he finishes out his current contract. That should be a big reason to get rid of him before the 7 years are up. A bonus should be given as a reward for doing a good job. Not what we have seen so far.

Maybe a contract extension will nullify the bonus.

Well, the one positive that I can see from giving Lick an extension is that it helps recruiting for the 2011 and 2012 classes. The 2012 class is going to be a very important class because they will replace seniors Gatens, Fuller, Tucker, Brommer and Archie. It is hard to recruit such an important class when the kids your are recruiting know you might not even still be coaching at Iowa when they get there.

I would be okay with this as long as it is no more than a two year extension.

Last edited:
It's not uncommon to extend a coach on a "rolling" (year to year) basis to enable him to tell recruits (in this case the classes of 2011 and beyond) that he's signed through their projected graduation date. If Barta gives Lick that kind of extension with neither a raise nor an extension of the buyout, that would make sense.

You may recall that just before he left for Stanford, Bolwsby committed to extend Alford's dead-man-walking contract for the same reason, but he included an extension of the buyout, which would have made it that much more costly to buy Alford out.

I can understand giving Lickliter a paper extension purely for recruiting purposes, but it would turn my stomach to find out that the buyout was also extended.

No matter what happens I can't believe we will have to live with Lickliter for more than another year unless the program shows dramatic improvement next season. Maybe what I'm really saying is that the preservation of my sanity prevents me from believing that.

Last edited:
This staff can't recruit now so what is going to make things so much better in 2011 or 2012 ? We need another quality point guard in the program and were turned down by at least 5 or 6 last year. Also with Lick's decission to red-shirt Artchie there is only one spot open for 2011 unless more players leave.

It makes me sick to my stomach to see this program as it is and the cold fish that is running it. His excuses are way beyond stale and worthless. At the same time as this, Lisa Bluder is doing a wonderful job under much much more difficult circumstances ( numerous injuries, playing true freshmen, etc ), and we hear no excuses, no dogging the new players for not knowing the "system", no "more time is needed" or a practice facility is needed, we see toughness and determination and competitive basketball. If Lickliter wants an extension, then give up the buyout clause, and Barta would be nuts to do anything with Lickliter unless it was extremely favourable to the U of I, and even then, how long can he have horrid attendance(unless you give away tix), no wins, and a fanbase disconnected from its team.

If true Barta should be fired. No way in hell that a coach that is 13-36 in the Big 10 conf. should get any kind of extension. It would be a huge embarrassment to the University of Iowa.

Very true! I think if Lick is still the coach next year we need to start thinking about firing Barta. An extension after our worst season ever would merit a firing of Barta.