Beer

Big Grove Boomtown and Tailwind I think?

And Busch/Bud Light?

And it's not cheap. I wanna say it was $8 & $10 for a plastic glass of beer? Way easier to just continue smuggling in Fireball or a flask.

First time back to Kinnick since beer sales were allowed. Which beers are available?
Domestics last year were Busch/Bud Light, Coors Light, Mich Ultra, and one of those chick seltzer things that @ClintonIAfan drinks. They were $8.50 and they had some hipster local stuff for $9.50.

I don't party anymore, but even the college kid in me would never pay $8.50 for a Latte or $9.50 for some garbage microbrew IPA that's just hop-flavored water and a little booze.

I'd bet this year that domestics are $10 and hipster is $11.

Domestics last year were Busch/Bud Light, Coors Light, Mich Ultra, and one of those chick seltzer things that @ClintonIAfan drinks. They were $8.50 and they had some hipster local stuff for $9.50.

I don't party anymore, but even the college kid in me would never pay $8.50 for a Latte or $9.50 for some garbage microbrew IPA that's just hop-flavored water and a little booze.

I'd bet this year that domestics are $10 and hipster is $11.
Yea, even I would pass on that.

Tie one on before you go in and enjoy the game while you come around again.

In related news, do any of you drink good bourbon, and if so, which one (s)?
I'll start at Cedar Ridge and go up from there. :)

Normally I'll always have a bottle of Cedar Ridge, Basil Hayden, and Woodford Reserve in the cupboard. Those are my easy-to-find go-to bourbons. When I can find it I'll spring for a bottle of Eagle Rare or Blantons. As long as it's not some swill like straight-up Jim Beam, or that disgusting peanut-butter flavored shit, I can be talked into drinking it.

As long as it's not some swill like straight-up Jim Beam, or that disgusting peanut-butter flavored shit, I can be talked into drinking it.
Scotch? Even "good" stuff tastes like someone filled an ashtray with everclear and water, mixed it around, added a little cayenne pepper, and bottled it. That shit is the absolute foulest, most disgusting substance I've ever had the misfortune to taste. I have a buddy who's into it and back in the day he had me try everything from a $25 bottle of Johnny Walker to multi hundred dollar single malts that were 12-14 years old.

I'm almost dry-heaving right now thinking about it.

I mean, I understand how people can appreciate bourbon, rye, even Canadian blends. But why on fucking earth would you want to drink something that quite literally tastes like liquid extinguished cigarettes and spice?

It's definitely like IPAs. Hipsters and dad-bods like to seem refined so they drink dogshit beers that are nothing but hops and tell people they actually enjoy it.

Scotch is the same.

Yea, even I would pass on that.

Tie one on before you go in and enjoy the game while you come around again.
Yeah maybe I'd pony up for 1 in the 3rd q but beyond that I'm not looking to keep the good times rolling by spending $40-$50 bucks or more on beer. Besides I'd just be running to the bathroom and back 5 times if I did and miss the game. So If I'm getting drunk it'll be at home or if I'm staying outside tailgating.

Every time I've been to a game now since beer sales started I have had beer spilled on me or my clothes, hey, I like to tailgate but man, people getting up twice as often to pee and buy beer is a pain in the ass. Usually the really drunk and stupid people sober down by halftime but not anymore. Great that people want to drink, but for the the love of God, hang on to the damm thing. Now get off my yard.

Scotch? Even "good" stuff tastes like someone filled an ashtray with everclear and water, mixed it around, added a little cayenne pepper, and bottled it. That shit is the absolute foulest, most disgusting substance I've ever had the misfortune to taste. I have a buddy who's into it and back in the day he had me try everything from a $25 bottle of Johnny Walker to multi hundred dollar single malts that were 12-14 years old.

I mean, I understand how people can appreciate bourbon, rye, even Canadian blends. But why on fucking earth would you want to drink something that quite literally tastes like liquid extinguished cigarettes and spice?

It's definitely like IPAs. Hipsters and dad-bods like to seem refined so they drink dogshit beers that are nothing but hops and tell people they actually enjoy it.

Scotch is the same.
You may be a supertaster like me. I was a very picky eater as a child.

"Supertasters are particularly sensitive to bitter flavors in foods such as broccoli, spinach, coffee, beer, and chocolate."

I can't stand IPA's or other hoppy beers, which seem to be about all you can find at bars besides domestics these days. I've found some amber ales that I like, and I find many stouts to be quite tasty. I also can't drink coffee black, but a little sugar takes the edge off.

Every time I've been to a game now since beer sales started I have had beer spilled on me or my clothes, hey, I like to tailgate but man, people getting up twice as often to pee and buy beer is a pain in the ass. Usually the really drunk and stupid people sober down by halftime but not anymore. Great that people want to drink, but for the the love of God, hang on to the damm thing. Now get off my yard.
I'm betting you see it go to plastic cups sometime soon. I saw empty aluminum bottles get tossed into the band on more than a few occasions, there were some bottles that ended up on the field during Penn State, and during the Penn State wrestling dual some idiot launched a full bottle from the Carver concourse all the way to the gym floor that missed Carter Starocci's head by about 3 inches. That would have been a wheelchair at best and dead at worst. Cops tackled his ass and drug him out, but he was damn lucky he wasn't getting booked on manslaughter charges instead of what I assume was just public intox and criminal mischief.

I can't imagine a full beer from 42 rows up. That'd be instant death.

"Supertasters are particularly sensitive to bitter flavors in foods such as broccoli, spinach, coffee, beer, and chocolate."

I can't stand IPA's or other hoppy beers, which seem to be about all you can find at bars besides domestics these days. I've found some amber ales that I like, and I find many stouts to be quite tasty. I also can't drink coffee black, but a little sugar takes the edge off.
I don't drink but back in the day I appreciated ambers, and I could drink the light lagers like all the typical domestics. American whiskeys like rye and Bourbon I could sip on and appreciate, and good tequila with salt is ok too. But Scotch makes me almost want to vomit thinking about it.

IPAs are just nasty, Scotch the same thing. I can't stand cilantro either which is pretty much established as a genetic trait now, and flavors like anise/licorice and horseradish/wasabe are a no go for me as well.

Scotch is the same.

I was with my buddies back in the day at a b-ball tournament we played in. We were staying at the Holiday Inn on Merle Hay and were in the bar. I was never really a hard liquor guy and one of the guys (the jokster) was buying a round of shots and asked what we all wanted.

I responded requesting some options as I really didn't know what to get. Jokster (who was payin' for the round) says "How about Johnny Walker Red" I was like "What is it, is it good?". He's like "Oh, ya, it's good." with a smirk on his face.

3..........2................1 Ugh! I swear, that shit can strip paint.

Scotch is the same.
Yeah, not a huge fan of Scotch. I can have a glass, but to me Bourbon is just so much smoother and tastes better.

However I will disagree on IPAs. I actually do enjoy IPAs, Stouts, Porters, & Sours. Can't do a lager or pilsner, they all taste like Miller Lite to me and just seem like a waste of space in my belly. I want to taste what I'm drinking, and sometimes I want the beer to be my meal (stouts). :)

Man, this sounds like me. I agree, ya go to the liquor store and all you see is IPA's, at least 90% of the beers. There is the rare decent one that goes down smooth but most have a bitterness with aftertaste.

I heard that they are the easiest to brew or have the quickest turnaround time from batch to the table. This is prob why all the home microbrews do them or start with them and why they flood the stores. I like a nice heavy dunkel or a chocolate stout. Actually, I really like a black-n-tans. I do enjoy my Blue Moon's.

Two beers I wish the hell we could get in Iowa are Spotted Cow & Yuengling. Yuengling is probably a lager but just has a nice deep smooth taste for yellow piss water.

Last edited:

Latest posts