Beating Northwestern For Dummies

How about the wildcat...but audible into the stretch run.

tenor.gif

The thing is, Iowa WRs are not good at drawing PI on Dbacks. Smith-Marsette isn't real big and regularly gets held or knocked off his route -- but when the pass falls incomplete he simply looks at the ref and shakes his head. He needs to exaggerate his body movements ANY time he feels even slightly held -- throw your head back, do ANYTHING to get the ref's attention DURING THE PLAY. On the other hand, WR #12 is so big and strong that he just kind of works through holds and grabs -- they don't really phase him. And of course, the biggest reason Iowa's WRs rarely get PI calls is because both Stanley and apparently now Petras always OVERTHROW their receivers downfield rather than underthrow...and underthrows on long balls is how you get PI calls when the offensive player comes back for the ball...especially on sideline routes. A QB should NEVER overthrow a sideline route.

The thing is, Iowa WRs are not good at drawing PI on Dbacks. Smith-Marsette isn't real big and regularly gets held or knocked off his route -- but when the pass falls incomplete he simply looks at the ref and shakes his head. He needs to exaggerate his body movements ANY time he feels even slightly held -- throw your head back, do ANYTHING to get the ref's attention DURING THE PLAY. On the other hand, WR #12 is so big and strong that he just kind of works through holds and grabs -- they don't really phase him. And of course, the biggest reason Iowa's WRs rarely get PI calls is because both Stanley and apparently now Petras always OVERTHROW their receivers downfield rather than underthrow...and underthrows on long balls is how you get PI calls when the offensive player comes back for the ball...especially on sideline routes. A QB should NEVER overthrow a sideline route.

If you sail a ball 10 foot out of bounds, the odds of it being picked are 0. If you underthrow it, the odds of a pick are like 69%. At that point you're just gambling on getting the PI call.

I wonder if you're right. It feels like that's being coached into WRs all over now. As much as the fundamentals of the game are being coached so it teaching em how to not so much flop but over exaggerate legit contact. Because those DBs are always grabbing pulling and pushing. We sure coulda used a call or 2 we didn't get last week. In close games that's sometimes the difference

Iowa is losing this game

and starts the season 1-4
with the Super Bowl being vs.
1-3 Nebraska

If you sail a ball 10 foot out of bounds, the odds of it being picked are 0. If you underthrow it, the odds of a pick are like 69%. At that point you're just gambling on getting the PI call.
If you overthrow a long ball, nothing good is possible: incomplete and you lose a down. If you underthrow a long ball, 3 things can happen, 2 of them good: either a catch or a PI call. On sideline fly routes, the advantage ESPECIALLY goes to the WR on underthrown balls, as the defender almost always has their back turned completely to the ball. This is not rocket science, guys.

If you overthrow a long ball, nothing good is possible: incomplete and you lose a down. If you underthrow a long ball, 3 things can happen, 2 of them good: either a catch or a PI call. On sideline fly routes, the advantage ESPECIALLY goes to the WR on underthrown balls, as the defender almost always has their back turned completely to the ball. This is not rocket science, guys.

Catch: 1% of the time
PI: 1% of the time
Incompletion: 29% of the time
Interception: 69% of the time

I've done the math, bud. A 69% chance of an INT is just not worth it.

I wonder if you're right. It feels like that's being coached into WRs all over now. As much as the fundamentals of the game are being coached so it teaching em how to not so much flop but over exaggerate legit contact. Because those DBs are always grabbing pulling and pushing. We sure coulda used a call or 2 we didn't get last week. In close games that's sometimes the difference

My opinion is it doesn't have to be necessarily about exaggerating the contact but rather the mentality of not allowing the PI to affect the play and fighting through it. I know its different sports but its something that I've always told my soccer players. It's one thing to fight through a challenge while doing everything to maintain possession and stay on your feet, but there are times when you simply have to know when not to fight through it. I don't necessarily think it has to be about exaggeration but rather selling the fact that you were in fact fouled. In this case make sure it's clear to the official that the contact occurred and affected the play.

Yeah, If the refs call contact and hand checking consistently, that okay. It's when refs are inconsistent that's the problem for me.

If SP has another pedestrian game and Iowa loses. Some would say, and I would agree, lets try another QB. But we know that in the Iowa system the #2 QB is far an away less capable than the starter. I hope that if Iowa is struggling and losing at the half they should let AP get a shot.

Catch: 1% of the time
PI: 1% of the time
Incompletion: 29% of the time
Interception: 69% of the time

I've done the math, bud. A 69% chance of an INT is just not worth it.
You gave me my laugh for the day! How could Jon ever get mad at you...you are funny.

As soon as Petras scrambles you know 9 times out of 10 the ball will hit the other team's mascot 10 yards out of bounds..

As soon as Petras scrambles you know 9 times out of 10 the ball will hit the other team's mascot 10 yards out of bounds..

And 1 out of 10 chance it will get picked off. Give me the 9/10ths shot at the incompletion any day. That's just good coaching.

Listen...NW plays the same way every year. They run blitz the crap out of us if we show stretch motion. They have 7 or 8 in the box and play the short passing routes aggressively...because the have four looking for people coming into their zones...and they are well coached.

The point of this original post was that you have to target them down the field...in the match ups with their corners and safeties. Iowa threw deep just a few times. Fritz knows what he's doing...he forces a team like Iowa to make a decision...will Iowa keep throwing short crossing or out routes that are higher percentage against a defense geared to stop it...or will Iowa take their chances and continuously attack down the field where the defense is vulnerable.

Iowa kept throwing short...and it cost them two interceptions. The reason is two fold...KF/BF don't like lower probability play selection. They can't accept that 40-45% completion ranges can be a good thing...and big plays will offset the lower chance of completion.

The second reason is Iowa doesn't want three and outs...and to put their defense back on the field. This is why NW commits to the run against Iowa...and if they have success...KF/BF start puckering up and are less likely to throw deep. It' happened in 2018 in Kinnick...the same exact game...only our defense played better in the second half in 2020.

Latest posts