Beathard underwent sports hernia surgery

I think they were evaluating whether or not it would require surgery.

This. They weren't sure whether it would require surgery or not. Sounds like they gave it some time to heal on it's own and I would guess it wasn't improving at a quick enough rate so they figured they might as well get the surgery out of the way now instead of delay it any longer.

per The Cedar Rapids Gazette..............

According to the Philly.com post, in the 25 years Meyers has been performing these surgeries, he has reported a 95 to 96 percent success rate.
“We measure the success rate by the number of patients who can return to their previous performance level or above following the surgery,â€￾ Meyers told the website. “Most of the time, that 4 or 5 percent get better but they don’t make a full return because other problems, like those in the hip, start to creep in.â€￾

No body wants to have surgery if they can get healthy without it,however I'm glad he had the surgery now instead of waiting.Here's hoping for a full recovery and a successful senior season.Go Hawks

Ruh roh. I think these can be pretty tough to come back from no? I know it's a different position, but if I remember correctly didn't our lineman McMillan have one of these and never really fully recover?
I've had sports hernia surgery. As an O or D-linemen, I'd imagine it could be a very long recovery process. Just because they are asked to do things with their hips, core and arms that would make it difficult to heal. A QB shouldn't have a problem making a swift recovery as long as he avoids contact over the next 6 months. That shouldn't be hard as he would most likely be wearing the red jersey during practice.

Here's the thing about a sports hernia. It's difficult to diagnose because it doesn't push thru the stomach wall to the point where it's obvious. It doesn't protrude. I had my Doc give me antibiotics for a prostate infection before we went further into testing to determine the problem. It took me about 3 months to feel 100%. I was back to doing physical activities by the end of the 2nd month.
The repair is simple. They install a small mesh patch on the inside of the stomach muscle that is partially torn. That keeps the intestine from pressing against and keeping the tear from healing. The incision consists of 2 small cuts on each side of the abdomen. 2 or 3 stitches each side.

I've had sports hernia surgery. As an O or D-linemen, I'd imagine it could be a very long recovery process. Just because they are asked to do things with their hips, core and arms that would make it difficult to heal. A QB shouldn't have a problem making a swift recovery as long as he avoids contact over the next 6 months. That shouldn't be hard as he would most likely be wearing the red jersey during practice.

Beathard didn't actually have a sports hernia according to the physician, but his injury is similar so people are calling it that. He had some sort of abdominal wall tear. Not sure what the difference is, but if it's not the same thing I imagine his recovery could be different. I'm just clarifying. Here are the comments from the physician in Rob's article:

“(Meyers) said that more than anything it’s a core injury. He doesn’t like to call it sports hernia but that’s what people have called it,” Casey said. “It’s basically the lining that holds your core together in your groin area is torn. It was pretty straight ahead, (C.J.’s) repair.

The same doctor patched up Beast Mode and J.J. Watt. He'll be fine.

Some of us complained they weren't throwing very many deep routes the second half of the season. Makes sense now, cause they were max protecting a lot more.

Beathard didn't actually have a sports hernia according to the physician, but his injury is similar so people are calling it that. He had some sort of abdominal wall tear. Not sure what the difference is, but if it's not the same thing I imagine his recovery could be different. I'm just clarifying. Here are the comments from the physician in Rob's article:

“(Meyers) said that more than anything it’s a core injury. He doesn’t like to call it sports hernia but that’s what people have called it,†Casey said. “It’s basically the lining that holds your core together in your groin area is torn. It was pretty straight ahead, (C.J.’s) repair.

The only difference, as far as I know, between a hernia and a sports hernia is the latter doesn't tear all the way thru the stomach wall. They call it a sports hernia because it usually effects athletes with well developed core muscles. The muscle wall is really thick and doesn't completely tear.
He may have a partially torn or completely torn stomach muscle that isn't getting pressure from the intestine but never fully healed due to the demands of the game. They could have simply went in and stitched it up without mesh. Thanks for the clarification.

They built a wall between his abdomial muscles and the organs in the interior of his body. It was huge.

Latest posts