BCS is terrific

DuffMan

At least so far. I've been a pretty big critic of the BCS in the past, but recently I've made my peace w it somewhat. It helps that I understand what the BCS is, and more importantly what it isn't.

It isn't a national championship process. Unfortunately NCAA D1 football is the only major sport that doesn't crown a national championship. It does crown a BCS champion, which is close to a national champ, but not the same.

What the BCS does do is it give us outstanding football games. There have been several great BCS games in the past but this year they have been out of this world. I've seen a handful of posts proclaiming the bowl season/ruined by the BCS. More than a few of these posts were punctuated with statementms like "I haven't/won't watch a game". All I gotta say is it sucks to be you and it's your loss. You've just missed 3 of the most compelling, exciting, and drama filled bowl games I've ever seen.

As for the BCS (not national title) game, I'm with Bart Scott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7KSkZxt_zo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I am not pro-BCS, but I am also anti-playoff, so it doesn't bother me too much. I think the BCS is demonized far more than it deserves it terms of actually delivering a true national champion.

And just think if they had a four or eight team playoff. Some of these games would have been part of it which would have increased the excitement exponentially as more would have been on the line in each game. If you think the exhibition games (which is basically what they are) are exciting, how much more exciting would they have been if the participants actually had a chance to advance to the title game?

The BCS stinks.

The BCS, while providing great games has ruined CFB.

#1: There is no reason for major bowl games to be going on during the week, much less a full week after NYD. This is only done for ratings.

#2: In the money grab that is the BCS, deserving teams don't get to go. It needs to be the top 10 BCS teams, not 14 teams to choose 10.

If the BCS is going to make the argument that the computers are perfect, than let them be perfect and leave 11-14 out of the party.

The BCS, while providing great games has ruined CFB.

#1: There is no reason for major bowl games to be going on during the week, much less a full week after NYD. This is only done for ratings.

#2: In the money grab that is the BCS, deserving teams don't get to go. It needs to be the top 10 BCS teams, not 14 teams to choose 10.

If the BCS is going to make the argument that the computers are perfect, than let them be perfect and leave 11-14 out of the party.

Then what would be the reward for winning the conference? The Meineke Car Care Bowl? And would anybody really be happy with 4 SEC teams in BCS bowls besides the SEC? LSU, Alabama, Arkansas and South Carolina were all Top 10 in the final BCS standings.

No matter what the solution is, there will always be flaws.

Yeah, so far the games have been good. But is anyone looking forward to the OB tonight? Not me, and I don't think I have ever been less excited about a MNC than this year. So, the BCS still sucks for me.

Try and compare what you have seen this week in bowl games to what you will see in the next couple weeks in NFL playoffs. There is no question what the better format is.

Out of pure hatred of the BCS NC game, I refuse to watch that game. We've already seen that boring game once. There should be no reason that a team that didn't even win their conference championship should be in that game. Just goes to show the SEC love that ESPN and those east coast d-bags push on the whole country. Yes, we know they are faster and better and probably all have better looking mom's than any big ten player.

I have such little interest in watching these bowls games outside a a couple.

It's just a bunch of random games besides the title game.

College football's regular season is great - even the conference championship games are good.

The post season/bowl is an utter joke based on how many fans show up to the game and how much money is to be made.

Bowl games are about making money for the corporations that run them - not post season football.

Last edited:
So do you not think Boise State would have destroyed either of those $hit teams that played last night? THAT is the problem with the BCS.

So do you not think Boise State would have destroyed either of those $hit teams that played last night? THAT is the problem with the BCS.

Nope. Sure don't.

The great thing about the BCS is they get to choose good matchups and they are turning into pretty good games. I don't want to watch BSU play va tech. I will, however, watch OSU and Stanford.

Out of pure hatred of the BCS NC game, I refuse to watch that game. We've already seen that boring game once. There should be no reason that a team that didn't even win their conference championship should be in that game. Just goes to show the SEC love that ESPN and those east coast d-bags push on the whole country. Yes, we know they are faster and better and probably all have better looking mom's than any big ten player.

Alabama didn't even win their division within the conference let along the conference.

I never got why sports fans, especially college football fans, complained about the bowl season running to long or having to many games. Sure you could get rid of bowls pitting a team with a 6 game losing streak against a team w/ a losing record.
Besides that I think the process is great and if anything only needs slight tweeks. They should play all the BCS games between jan 1 -3 w/ 2 designated as a semifinal game. Then a week later you have the NC game. To many competitive , exciting college football bowl games during the holiday season is not a problem in my book.

The problem is this perception that Boise State is among the BCS elite. Do some basic research of their record against ranked opponents. It's not impressive, a little above .500 record.

Their bowl record has an impressive win over Oklahoma that buys them entirely too much love. Remove their "Humanitarian Bowl" wins, which are post-season home games against crap teams, and they're a modest 5-4.

This team gets far too much hype for what they actually have achieved on the field. I loved Boise State football before it was really cool when I lived out west in the early 90's. I used to cheer for them as an underdog, but frankly, if you want to talk about the BCS being "broken" it's allowing teams in these non-BCS conferences to skate through a pathetic schedule and waltz into the BCS virtually untested.

The problem with the BCS rankings is that you can't seperate out a conference effect. For example everyone thinks the SEC is head and heels above all other conferences hence teams like SC, Arkansas etc get into the top 10 even if they don't belong there. Now I'm not saying they don't because I don't know.

My problem with this is we don't know who the top 10 teams are because we base 75% of our rankings on what they do in conference. The conferences are not equal, especially if we throw in the MWC, so how can you compare a team and say well a 10-2 team from conference X is better than a 11-1 team from conf Y, or a 12-0 team from A is the same as a 12-0 from Y. You can't.

Rankings are a farce and putting the top 8 teams in a playoff I don't think gets you the top 8 teams playing each other anyway.

Then what would be the reward for winning the conference? The Meineke Car Care Bowl? And would anybody really be happy with 4 SEC teams in BCS bowls besides the SEC? LSU, Alabama, Arkansas and South Carolina were all Top 10 in the final BCS standings.

No matter what the solution is, there will always be flaws.

One postseason that you never hear about having flaws is the NFL playoffs.

I am fully aware that CFB is never going to a playoff and bowls are here to stay but even the bowl supporters usually defend the more unlikeable facts about bowls by saying, "Every system will have flaws."

I understand the group that is for the bowl system. However there is a solution out there without flaws. That really shouldn't be used as a defense for the negative aspects of bowl games.

One postseason that you never hear about having flaws is the NFL playoffs.

Really? How about 12-4 Pittsburgh having to play at 8-8 Denver? Or last year 11-5 New Orleans having to play at 7-9 Seattle in the first round?

That seems like a flaw to me.

Any post season system which uses a one and done system is not a perfect way to find the best team.

The BCS gets it right a lot more than a playoff would. The NCAA tourney is fun but the best team rarely wins it all.

Latest posts