BCS is terrific

Really? How about 12-4 Pittsburgh having to play at 8-8 Denver? Or last year 11-5 New Orleans having to play at 7-9 Seattle in the first round?

That seems like a flaw to me.

Good point but do coaches, executives, or other brass complain about it regularly? Are there groups investigating it? Are there groups trying to replace the system?

The answer to all those questions is no. Coaches, players, executives all know the rules. I'm sure it chaps their *** when Seattle makes it at 7-9 but you don't hear anyone trying to change the system.

In the NFL, every team has an equal opportunity to make the postseason. If you you don't make it, its your fault. Not a pollsters, or rival coach and their rankings. Not politics of who has more fans. Tradition and history have no weight of who gets chosen for the playoffs.

Good point but do coaches, executives, or other brass complain about it regularly? Are there groups investigating it? Are there groups trying to replace the system?

The answer to all those questions is no. Coaches, players, executives all know the rules. I'm sure it chaps their *** when Seattle makes it at 7-9 but you don't hear anyone trying to change the system.

In the NFL, every team has an equal opportunity to make the postseason. If you you don't make it, its your fault. Not a pollsters, or rival coach and their rankings. Not politics of who has more fans. Tradition and history have no weight of who gets chosen for the playoffs.

Nice post and I completely agree with the bolded part.

Im all for rewarding division winners, but the reward should be a playoff spot, not a guaranteed home game.

I think we can both agree that while no system is flawless, the NFL is about as close to perfect as we can ask for. I love the fact that they make the lowest seeded team play the #1 seed in the divisional round instead of just automatically matching up the 3/6 winner with the 1 seed.

Really? How about 12-4 Pittsburgh having to play at 8-8 Denver? Or last year 11-5 New Orleans having to play at 7-9 Seattle in the first round?

That seems like a flaw to me.

The only flaw I see, and full disclosure I am a Steeler fan, is that we play them on the road. Otherwise, I don't see an issue with it.

I see no problem with New Orleans playing Seattle...on paper, that was a desirable match-up for the Saints.

But, you're right every system has flaws...the NFL, however, is highly and vastly more acceptable and that's what people desire.

I personally do not understand fans who seem to not enjoy these games just because it is not part of a playoff. Hello? If you like college football,you do not need a playoff to enjoy these games. If you had these games in regular season,fans would be salivating.

Installing a playoff for 8 teams would render the other 31 bowls as meaningless,irrelevant and they would fade away quickly,unfortunately.

Why? Because of this same attitude that they are simply exhibitions...and that feeling would be greatly increased with a parallel playoff being played...all attention to 4 games...TV numbers go away for the rest. Kill the golden goose by being too greedy.

The only flaw I see, and full disclosure I am a Steeler fan, is that we play them on the road. Otherwise, I don't see an issue with it.

I see no problem with New Orleans playing Seattle...on paper, that was a desirable match-up for the Saints.

But, you're right every system has flaws...the NFL, however, is highly and vastly more acceptable and that's what people desire.

Thats why I put Pittsburgh playing AT Denver and New Orleans playing AT Seattle in my first post. I wasnt talking about the match-ups. I was talking about how a team that finished with a record that was 4 games better than their opponent, is forced to play said opponent on the road.

You're right. 128 team double elimination tournament, that's the solution.

I don't think I ever mentioned that college basketball is some kind of perfect system...

but if you want to bring that up.

It's much more exciting and its decided on the court not by VOTERS and MONEY.

Also quite often the team that wins the tourney is pretty damn good,... you have to be to win that many games.

So I really don't see your point

I personally do not understand fans who seem to not enjoy these games just because it is not part of a playoff. Hello? If you like college football,you do not need a playoff to enjoy these games. If you had these games in regular season,fans would be salivating.

Installing a playoff for 8 teams would render the other 31 bowls as meaningless,irrelevant and they would fade away quickly,unfortunately.

Why? Because of this same attitude that they are simply exhibitions...and that feeling would be greatly increased with a parallel playoff being played...all attention to 4 games...TV numbers go away for the rest. Kill the golden goose by being too greedy.

Personally, to me outside of hte Title game and who the hawks are playing all the bowl games are useless.

They are exhibition games.... even league games seem more meaningful to me.

Thats why I put Pittsburgh playing AT Denver and New Orleans playing AT Seattle in my first post. I wasnt talking about the match-ups. I was talking about how a team that finished with a record that was 4 games better than their opponent, is forced to play said opponent on the road.

Your emphasis in the original post was on the record, so it seemed like you were potentially arguing the disparity in match-up. A lot of people whine about .500 and sub-.500 teams making the playoffs. I was just clarifying the issue.

Anyway, back on the main point, any system will have flaws. What people aren't taking into consideration, in contrasting the NFL, is that it's inherently flawed to think implementing a playoff system into CFB will be the same as the NFL playoffs. It won't work that way without significant change. I think rather than trying to mimic the NFL playoff the problems needs a more sensible approach that takes into consideration the nuances of CFB.

Your emphasis in the original post was on the record, so it seemed like you were potentially arguing the disparity in match-up. A lot of people whine about .500 and sub-.500 teams making the playoffs. I was just clarifying the issue.

The records were in there to prove my point about how ridiculous it is that those teams are forced to travel to play against teams with much worse records. My post is pointless without the records in there, my emphasis was on the locations of the games.

Latest posts