BCS beyond top three too close to call

VanMan1

ESPN's BCS expert Brad Edwards expects Florida, Alabama and Texas to remain 1, 2 and 3, but 4 through 9 will be too close to call. That includes Boise, Cincy, Iowa, USC, LSU and TCU.

It's going to come down to the human polls...as far as I can tell (and I've only been able to see scores), if anything today our computer rankings should have stayed the same or improved (thanks Clones!). If the human voters come to their senses a bit, we should be #4 tomorrow.

I broke it down a little more succinctly in my blog, but this is the cliff notes version.

I agree we could very easily be at #4 and here's why....

Cincinnati won convincingly at home and they need to win big at home just to have a shot at a title. Could they remain over Iowa in the polls.....maybe.

TCU did beat a decent BYU team on the road but in a much weaker conference.

If you argue that the Big Ten is still a very bad conference then take our non-conference victories against Iowa State and Arizona as the tipping point. Both of those teams continue to win games in perhaps better conferences and will be huge for us down the stretch.

Iowa has won two weeks on the road in hostile territory, has a resume of road victories over PSU, Wisky, MSU, and won it's rivalry game this year by over 4 touchdowns. The voters in the human polls are going to continue to vote for Iowa and the computers will keep loving us if our opponents continue to win making our SOS even stronger.

#4 is not hard to imagine at all!

UNI is still +.500, as are ISU and Arizona, so the ISU and Arizona wins will help more than UNI's loss will hurt.

No one loss team is going to jump us in the BCS until we lose.

If you listen to the "talking heads" USC has a good chance of jumping us in the polls... so don't be shocked when/if it happens. The Big 10 did itself no favors last bowl season going 1-5. I'm not saying it's right, but the friggin' man-love for USC is ridiculous.

Iowa should be number three. Florida one and Bama two Iowa three and Texas four USC five. (by strength of conferences)

Iowa should be 5th in the BCS today and may be as high as 4th based on the teams the Hawks have played and beat to date.

Iowa should be number three. Florida one and Bama two Iowa three and Texas four USC five. (by strength of conferences)

Iowa should be above Texas right now. Texas probably is better but our resume looks much better.

If you listen to the "talking heads" USC has a good chance of jumping us in the polls... so don't be shocked when/if it happens. The Big 10 did itself no favors last bowl season going 1-5. I'm not saying it's right, but the friggin' man-love for USC is ridiculous.
In the polls, yes, but the L on USC's record hurts their BCS rank.

Here's how the top 8 teams in the coaches' poll varied in points compared to last week:

#1 Florida: -5
#2 Alabama: +1
#3 Texas: +4
#4 USC: +7
#5 BSU: -1
#6 TCU: +62
#7 Cincy: +22
#8 Iowa: +49

From this you can see Iowa gained ground on all teams except TCU even though the Hawks didn't move up the poll. One thing I take from this is that Iowa, TCU and, to a lesser extent, Cincy were behind Miami in quite a few ballots and were able to move up with the Canes' loss to Clemson.

We should be ahead of all those teams but Florida and Alabama.
We'll get there soon enough. Texas I believe will lose to either Okie State or A&M. Cincy, TCU and Boise don't have the SOS to keep them ahead or pull them ahead, and USC has that loss to Washington, as well as a showdown at Oregon Saturday.

We'll get there soon enough. Texas I believe will lose to either Okie State or A&M. Cincy, TCU and Boise don't have the SOS to keep them ahead or pull them ahead, and USC has that loss to Washington, as well as a showdown at Oregon Saturday.

Even if Texas doesn't lose our SOS is better though.

Here's the vote comparison of the Harris Poll between this week and last week:

#1 Flordia: -37
#2 Alabama: -62
#3 Texas: +11
#4 USC: -78
#5 BSU: -16
#6 Cincy: +51
#7 TCU: +104
#8 Iowa: +41

I should point out that one person must not have turned in a ballot this week because there are only 113 first place votes this week compared to 114 a week ago. That makes these numbers smaller than they would be otherwise. (For example, if Florida would have been #1 on the missing ballot, their number would have been -12 instead of -37. If Iowa was #8 on that ballot their number would be +59.)

Latest posts