Baylor's Scott Drew- Negative recruiting tactics from ESPN

As a Hawkeye fan dying to see a winner again, a small part of me says go for Drew because I have no doubt that he would bring players here. The other part of me (and a very large part) says no way in hell. I am fortunate or possibly unfortunate enough to know some of the things he has done to get kids (and it goes well beyond negative recruiting) and I can unequivocally say that he is a POS.

You'd like every team in the league to hate Iowa because we hire (what amounts to) the Ron Zook of the college basketball world? Of course, this guy is Ron Zook with a winning record, but I'm sure you see my point.

This guy will tweet his players and do all kinds of crap that a respectable adult shouldn't be doing in order to impress a 17 or 18 year old kid. I'd rather see a guy hired who doesn't break the unwritten rules of the coaching fraternity.

Ron Zook that wins?? Would that be Urban Meyer?

Knight liked Alford until Alford competed against him. Then they had a falling out. They made up after Knight was out of coaching for a brief spell then landed at Tech.

Sounds like Drew has just been trying to be creative and it's working so why stop. He isn't breaking any rules.

Kudo's to Drew.

If you cheat, I don't want you. If you do what you can to be successful within the rules of the game, that's another story.

And I don't care what other schools think of Iowa. They all loved Alford and Lick. Why? Because they beat them and they were a non factor in recruiting the same kids, for te most part

Yep.

Drew is the focus in the big 12 because he took over a dead program and is now whipping the big boys. Of course they do not like it....

Just because you don't like his approach or should I say UT doesn't like his approach because he beat their ***** 2x this year doesn't make him a bad guy. Remember you can't believe everything you read. It should be looked in to but shouldn't make the guy untouchable.

Anyway I heard from a fairly reliable source that Lon Krueger's name has been mentioned. If that's not a guy that has had controversy I don't know what is. He activity with co-eds is Eustachy-esk.

If our next coach does his job right, we will have a lot of coaches mad at us because we will stop being everyone's favorite opponent. These coaches like Izzo, Barnes, Knight, etc. need to stop taking themselves so serious.

Drew hasn't has any sanctions against him but has a lot of coaches ****** at him because he is beating them at what they all are trying to do. The whole printing of a flyer and mailing it to recruits was in bad taste but what else has he done that broke any rule? If the NCAA believes he is doing things wrong they will be so far up his rear he wouldn't be able to go to the bathroom by himself. He has busted his rear to land the recruits that are as of right now establishing his program. With the run they are making Drew is going to have recruits looking at Baylor instead of Baylor having to look for every player they get. Wouldn't it be nice if a Barnes or that kid from Des Moines was looking at Iowa since they were in 7th grade instaed of looking outside of the state? People in this country are still innocent until proven guilty, even in recruiting young men to play basketball. Like Jon said, you can bet teams are telling football recruits that Ferentz won't be at Iowa or in the case of basketball you know coaches are telling recruits that Iowa doesn't have this or that, is that a bad way to go about things to?

And we know how chaste Bobby Knight is....if he wouldn't have won championships he would have been ousted years ago for all his BS.

If you cheat, I don't want you. If you do what you can to be successful within the rules of the game, that's another story.

And I don't care what other schools think of Iowa. They all loved Alford and Lick. Why? Because they beat them and they were a non factor in recruiting the same kids, for te most part

Exactly Jon. That is why I hope they hire an aggressive no-nonsense Coach who isn't afraid to get things stirred up. Iowa needs to get that edge back and put the Big Ten on notice. This is Hawkeye Country, Enter at your own risk.

He is now added on to my list:

1) BCG
2) Bruce Pearl
3) Drew
4) We shouldn't have fired Lick without a plan

Seriously what does #4 actually mean. Guess that just doesn't make much sense to me.
You hire a new coach who will get the job done, isn't that the plan. :):D

HawkPrd....I sure as hell hope he had a plan before he fired Lick! But as I look at the "SEARCH" committee I am deeply concerned.

To be successful in recruiting, you have to go to the edge. If you cross the line and pay players, then you are dirty. As for 'negative recruiting' that stuff seems silly but it happens against Iowa every day in football and basketball. Kirk's gonna leave for the pro's, etc.

The Iowa basketball job is going to require a ton of work. It's nit going to be an easy sell for a while. I never want iowa's coaches to cheat. But it's going to take some work

Amen! Again, I don't want a CHEATER (Jim Harrick, Jerry Tarkanian, etc.), but just as long as we're within the rules, what can any other Big Ten coaches do except whine about how we operate?

If other coaches do these types of things to us, then I want a coach who isn't afraid to level the playing field. Despite what Tom Izzo says about how we just fired a nice guy, recruiting isn't a nice-guy business. It's high time we brought in a strong recruiter who is going to send a message that Iowa is serious about competing.

HawkPrd....I sure as hell hope he had a plan before he fired Lick! But as I look at the "SEARCH" committee I am deeply concerned.

Iowa fired it's coach the plan is simple hire a new one. :D

Barta probably didn't have much of a plan considering how the ball dropped on this one. Iowa just needs to find a new coach. Plenty of qualified coaches out there.

This doesn't change my opinion. Drew is still high on my list of candidates. Like many posters have said earlier, I could care less if the other coaches or fans of the other Big 10 schools like Iowa or our coach. They are never going to like us as soon as we start winning anyway! Just go to the opposing teams football boards and see how that plays out. At Iowa we are going to need a coach who thinks outside the box and can recruit. As long as Drew doesn't run a dirty program I am 100% ok with him recruiting any way he likes as long as it is within the rules.

Latest posts