Bawinkel Article

Does anyone even think Bawinkel is anything more than a slightly above average shooter? Despite being, what 6'5-6'6', he struggles to get a shot off if anyone is anywhere near him, he does a terrible job of relocating once the ball enters the post, I've never seen a player so completely incapable of getting his own shot off.

Bawinkel and defense should never be used in the same sentence. On the brighter side, it was nice to see coach call out our guard play and pin Bawinkels failures on the lack of a penetrating guard..that's nice.

Bawinkel was a JUCO MVP and from people I had talked to before he came to Iowa they said he was pretty versatile on both ends of the court.

I haven't seen that yet.

Bawinkel was a JUCO MVP and from people I had talked to before he came to Iowa they said he was pretty versatile on both ends of the court.

I haven't seen that yet.

Here is a tip. Never listen to those people again if they EVER try to evaluate a player unless the player is John Wall.

He is a libility on the defensive end.

I remember people questioning his release from WVU like Huggins must have been missing something. UMMM, Bob Huggins is not an idiot.

Eh, Huggins is ok. I question some of his recruits, thug a lug.

I will hold off on GREAT, but he currently has a shot at reaching 700+ coaching wins assuming he coaches a few more years.

He resurrected a completely DEAD Cincinnati program (had not been to the NCAA tournament in 12 years), and lead them to two straight NIT apperances, then a final four and 14 consecutive NCAAA appearances...

Look I don't give a crap about his 'thug" image, I said the guy is one hell of a coach. I did not bring up who he did all THIS with.

Yes he has had some questionable players over the years but so has IOWA and Iowa hasn't done jack squat in a LONG time. Iowa has had it's share of coke heads, pot heads. rapist's and what not.

Did Bawinkel do anything to try to get better this year?

He is obviously not gotten better.

SA used to get flamed for not improving players skill levels.

Lick needs to be held accountable with this as well.

Something about him coming off the bench on a 6-10 team to stand at the 3 point line and not wanting to get in the paint with "the other guys" and being happy with that is just rubbing me the wrong way.

Lickliter says he can play the point too! But he just stands in the corner for 22 minutes a game and waits for someone to throw him the ball so he can shoot it. Oh and he can't play defense either. Usually scores a couple baskets a game, never goes to the line...great asset to offense. West Virginia gave him a choice to leave because he wouldn't fit into their team, imagine that? Lick snaps him right up...great evaluator...

Lickliter says he can play the point too! But he just stands in the corner for 22 minutes a game and waits for someone to throw him the ball so he can shoot it. Oh and he can't play defense either. Usually scores a couple baskets a game, never goes to the line...great asset to offense. West Virginia gave him a choice to leave because he wouldn't fit into their team, imagine that? Lick snaps him right up...great evaluator...

Beilein was looking at him at Michigan too, FWIW.

I haven't seen that yet.

I watched this kid play in H.S. and at JUCO...

In h.s. he was a 6'5" guard in a small illinois school where most players his size played center... she he had at least 6-7" on the guy guarding him.. yeah he used to take the ball inside because he was taller than most of the centers he played against..

at juco... he started his lapse into the guy we see now but was a little bit more aggressive with the ball..

and thats all im going to say

Why are we even having this discussion the book on Bawinkel is simple. First, he has cement shoes and couldn't guard a snail if his life depended on it. His shooting has been average at best. He can't create a shot. He can't jump to rebound. And oh yeah HE CAN'T PLAY D. Payne as a freshman is much better than Bawinkel!

Latest posts