Basketballs...what difference can a ball make?

Kind of a side note. I've heard stories of coaches switching up the nets back in the day as well based on if a team likes to get out and run or not. Ie slightly thicker nets against teams that like to push the tempo, to try and slow the ball and in turn slow them down. Also vice versa using a thinner net if you're the team that likes to get out and run.

Great post.
I was a 5'8 140 lb self proclaimed sharp shooter in HS and the Y in my early 20s. I for one can say the ball absolutely makes a difference. There's no doubt about it. To try and get used to something in a 10 min warmup line prior to a game isn't even close to what it'd take.

So here's what I feel coaches should do (since what's going on isn't most likely to change) Fran should have a rack of every other schools balls that they'll be playing against for the year. And in the immediate days of practice leading up to playing them only use those for it. Like we played Saturday and don't play NW till tomorrow night. So regardless of how many times you practice between only us Under Armour balls. Granted you'll have more and less time to prep throughout the year for each opponent but beyond that I'm not sure how else to do it.

Not being uniform on this is pretty dumb. What that ensures is that you won't be getting the best of all the players involved. It's not a level playing field. And it's just ridiculous to have a system setup in that way. It's like those that allow this have never touched a ball before let alone played competitively.

It's one thing to have shoes and apparel deals for schools to make their side hustle $. It's another to have it affecting games. NCAA should've stopped this from the git go. But who are they to do jack squat about anything when they should..

You were still in HS in your early 20's? Hey, way to work thru it bud!!

It's insane that they use different balls. How do they decide which ball gets used in the NCAA tournament or the big ten tournament? It's not the sites choice is it? That would be dumb as hell

Isn't college football the same way? I'm not sure if they are stuck using one brand ball or not, but, doesn't whoever is on offense get to use their balls? So, the same football might not be used the entire game. The offensive teams gets to use their ball on O drives. Am I wrong?

Kind of a side note. I've heard stories of coaches switching up the nets back in the day as well based on if a team likes to get out and run or not. Ie slightly thicker nets against teams that like to push the tempo, to try and slow the ball and in turn slow them down. Also vice versa using a thinner net if you're the team that likes to get out and run.

Absolutely true.

Isn't college football the same way? I'm not sure if they are stuck using one brand ball or not, but, doesn't whoever is on offense get to use their balls? So, the same football might not be used the entire game. The offensive teams gets to use their ball on O drives. Am I wrong?

I'm pretty sure in college football each team uses their own balls. So when you're on offense you swap in your footballs.

Kinda like how only the patriots benefited from deflategate. they deflated their balls

It's insane that they use different balls. How do they decide which ball gets used in the NCAA tournament or the big ten tournament? It's not the sites choice is it? That would be dumb as hell

Wouldn't it be fun for teams that are using different brand of basketballs in one game (like Iowa and Maryland) where one team would use their ball in the 1st half and the other team would get the 2nd half? Home teams get the choice 1st. At a neutral site, it's a coin flip. :)

Latest posts