Basketball Team Frustration

KatoZenti

I’m a huge Iowa fan. This basketball season is very interesting with Covid-19 and rescheduling of games with a very short window for ample rest. I hope Iowa can finish strong and get a decent seeding for post season play. Go Hawks!!

My frustration with this team is lack of team speed/foot speed. It seems like other teams are quicker than us and it shows. JBo is a more of a shooting guard than a point guard and Ahron Ulis needs more PT behind Joe Toussaint. Ulis played well at Rutgers and has played very little. Point guard needs a quick, fleet afoot player at this point.

I want to see what Kris Murray and Josh Ogundele can do in some rotations. Murray is another body that can give some minutes along with Ogundele. They need some PT to change things up a bit.

I’m sold on Tony Perkins. He’s going to be very special player for us. I like what I’ve seen from him so far.

Come on Hawks let’s get out of this funk that we’re in right now before it’s too late. There’s still time to make this a very special season that you wanted in the summer. Just need to learn from the past mistakes against Gonzaga, Minnesota, Indiana and Illinois.

Go Hawks!!!!

I agree on the speed aspects, but I am not sold the rotations that you suggest. Ulis is much too raw to see significant minutes at this point, and the same can be said about Kris and Josh. Perkins looks solid and could probably work in a little more time, but I guess in the end I am just more comfortable sticking with experience over potential.

Iowa’s recent “funk” is limited to the Indiana game. I think that they played well at Illinois, it just isn’t an easy place to come out of with a win and Illinois is a very good team. If MSU beats us on Tuesday, I may start worrying a little more.

Eight top 25 teams lost yesterday, and there are a lot of games left. I think Gonzaga will be the only team to finish the season undefeated. The Hawks will be OK.

There used to be multiple threads on here about how rotations had to be 7...8 at most. Now people want 11. I like a deep rotation and being open minded and flexible. But I think 11 is too many.

I agree on the speed issue for sure. Iowa's backcourt players are a big reason why we are struggling right now. Honestly, they are not good enough for where we want to go.

If JBo is not hitting 3s or at the foul line....he is essentially useless. It is a shame because he is not the same player post-injury, but he thinks he is. Just listen to his podcasts and read his twitter posts.

JT has speed, but he is a lamborghini without breaks. A unreliable guard and turnover waiting to happen. But, brings more defense than JBo.

IMHO, JBo should not start games at this time. Have him come off the bench and see if he can provide a spark....then increase or decrease his playing time throughout the rest of the game depending on how he is playing. Start JT and give Ulis some minutes throughout the game.

Recruits better backcourt players.

We’ve been in the top 10 all season guys. We’ve lost 2 without our staring 2. One we were probably going to lose with or without him, but we played really well. The last 2 games have sucked but seeesh, get ahold of yourselves.
Do you think Iowa would have beat Indiana and Illinois if CJ was healthy? Wouldn't of hurt I'm sure.....I don't think it would have mattered against Indiana as we could not have thrown it in the ocean. But, we did lose 2 games with him.

Do you think Iowa would have beat Indiana and Illinois if CJ was healthy? Wouldn't of hurt I'm sure.....I don't think it would have mattered against Indiana as we could not have thrown it in the ocean. But, we did lose 2 games with him.
Who knows, him being out certainly doesn’t help. I’m saying a lot of posters are over reacting about a team currently ranked 6th in the NET. Not a lot of whole sale changes need to be made when there’s only 5 teams in the country perceived better than you.

We’ve been in the top 10 all season guys. We’ve lost 2 without our staring 2. One we were probably going to lose with or without him, but we played really well. The last 2 games have sucked but seeesh, get ahold of yourselves.
Everyone is waiting for the Fran Fade.

Some are almost willing it to happen.

My only concern is that Fran is starting to get testy in pressers. History shows when he is unstable, the team follows suit. Thats why some think a fade is coming.

It is too early for that kind of talk. This is the same "slow" backcourt that takes care of the ball, finds Luka and Wieskamp, and slices and dices defenses.

Meanwhile tOSU need to show some killer instinct and bury The Izzo's. Dont give Sparty any reason to hope they've turned a corner. Dont let them finish on an uptick with Iowa on the horizon.

My only concern is that Fran is starting to get testy in pressers. History shows when he is unstable, the team follows suit. Thats why some think a fade is coming.

It is too early for that kind of talk. This is the same "slow" backcourt that takes care of the ball, finds Luka and Wieskamp, and slices and dices defenses.

Meanwhile tOSU need to show some killer instinct and bury The Izzo's. Dont give Sparty any reason to hope they've turned a corner. Dont let them finish on an uptick with Iowa on the horizon.
The Fran presser deal was taken out of context. Even the person who asked the question said that Fran answered in a professional way that didn’t make him feel attacked

lose to MSU and it picks up a lot of steam. "Franuary", "Fran fade" become familiar words in the twitter world. Don't lose to MSU, don't lose 3 in a row.

Sparty's last 2 losses were by 30 and 17 pts. If we don't beat them handily, THEN it will be time to fret. I don't think you change the starters vs MSU, because you're going to be playing zone vs Sparty most of the game anyway. But vs Ohio State 2 days later I would definitely start Toussaint at PG. I don't think the Buckeyes have a true PG, but they're a quick team overall with great movement, love to drive the lane and I don't see JBo being able to stop that -- we've seen what good teams do to Iowa's zone D. Vs the Bucks, quickness on D will be needed. I also like the idea of getting JBo used to coming off the bench for games later in the season and seeing if he can start lighting it up vs the weaker teams' 2nd team defense. If Toussaint makes a couple quick turnovers to start a game, you can always yank him and bring JBo in quickly without hesitation. At some point I'd like to see JT at the point and JBo at SG.

The Fran presser deal was taken out of context. Even the person who asked the question said that Fran answered in a professional way that didn’t make him feel attacked
And I think it would take a lot to rattle this bunch. We have experienced, mentally tough players out there.

Mental toughness was frequently questioned when previous Fran teams spit the bit down the stretch.

Sparty's last 2 losses were by 30 and 17 pts. If we don't beat them handily, THEN it will be time to fret. I don't think you change the starters vs MSU, because you're going to be playing zone vs Sparty most of the game anyway. But vs Ohio State 2 days later I would definitely start Toussaint at PG. I don't think the Buckeyes have a true PG, but they're a quick team overall with great movement, love to drive the lane and I don't see JBo being able to stop that -- we've seen what good teams do to Iowa's zone D. Vs the Bucks, quickness on D will be needed. I also like the idea of getting JBo used to coming off the bench for games later in the season and seeing if he can start lighting it up vs the weaker teams' 2nd team defense. If Toussaint makes a couple quick turnovers to start a game, you can always yank him and bring JBo in quickly without hesitation. At some point I'd like to see JT at the point and JBo at SG.
Sparty's team fg% is 43.7, tied for tenth in the conference.

They are ranked even lower in 3pt fg%. 33.7%, good for 12th in the league.

I swear if they come out Tuesday and start hitting shots......

Sparty's team fg% is 43.7, tied for tenth in the conference.

They are ranked even lower in 3pt fg%. 33.7%, good for 12th in the league.

I swear if they come out Tuesday and start hitting shots......
If they do it’s just bad luck. I watched that game today and OSU left guys wide open...and some were almost airballs. But it shouldn’t matter. They don’t play good D and they’re getting killed in the paint.

1612150095693.png

1612150182722.png

1612150240585.png

Oh yes, that dreaded month. Certainly we can start off the month of Feb going in the right direction right against Sparty? Please.

MSU is bad...at least right now. We need to pummel them and rest some guys. OSU is good...2 days later.
They might be playing "bad" but don't deny the incredible talent MSU has. It won't be a blow out. I saw this team just dismantle a Rutgers team after Iowa barely beat them. Hopefully Iowa comes with the same intensity vs Illinoy and I think Iowa finds a way to win. At least Fran is not afraid to sit JBo this year when he is playing bad. It's just we haven't seen much improvement from Troussaint.

They might be playing "bad" but don't deny the incredible talent MSU has. It won't be a blow out. I saw this team just dismantle a Rutgers team after Iowa barely beat them. Hopefully Iowa comes with the same intensity vs Illinoy and I think Iowa finds a way to win. At least Fran is not afraid to sit JBo this year when he is playing bad. It's just we haven't seen much improvement from Troussaint.
I predict a 15+ margin with Iowa winning. The Rutgers game you referenced was 68-45. MSU might get 68...but I don’t think that will be nearly enough to beat Iowa.

MSU is averaging just under 63 ppg in conference play. We’ve averaged just under 80...in our 3 losses.

Latest posts