Basketball recruites

Don't look now, but Iowa is still recruiting the 2010 class for a point guard. I hear there are three that they are looking at, but they are just trying to figure out how to open up a scholly.

READ: How do they get Brommer to defect?

Unless someone transfers we only have 1 scholarship to offer in 2011 (Cole)

2012 - 5 (Archie, Gatens, Tucker, Fuller, Brommer)
2013 - 3 (Payne, Coughill, May)
2014 - 4 (McCabe, Larsen, Brust, Marble)

Chasson Randle is a 2011 combo guard and was sitting behind the Iowa bench last nite. He would be the dream recruit to fill that lone 2011 scholly. But,in the meantime, go get another pg for next year,please Lick.

Ben will not be the starting PG. Cully will be for the next 3 years. Cully is a SOLID player.

Ben will help out I'm sure at the 1, but his natural spot is playing the 2.

No one listens to us about Cully. That's fine, whatever.

Cully will continue to play PG for Iowa the next 3 years and as I've said, Tucker and Brust will help spell Payne.

Payne is exactly the type of player Lickliter wants, it's too bad he's been thrown to the wolves as a frosh, but he's done very well all things considered.

Although he makes his share of frosh mistakes, Cully is a terrific PG and is only going to get better. The real issue would arise if Cully was injured. A guy like Chasson Randle would help out immensely.

Cully is a big ten backup imo. If Brust is as good as advertised he should play the 1 so we can get the best possible 5 on the floor

any word if we are ever going to scour the JUCO ranks for a player. Seems like a no brainer especially since we are so young

Cully is much better than a backup, much better.
Payne is averaging more assists than Taylor, Hughes, or Jones.

AND, before anyone talks about his turnovers... he is in the TOP 15 in the Big Ten in A:TO ratio - no other Big Ten freshman is in the Top 15.

Chasson Randle is a 2011 combo guard and was sitting behind the Iowa bench last nite. He would be the dream recruit to fill that lone 2011 scholly. But,in the meantime, go get another pg for next year,please Lick.
Does that make sense?

Iowa has 1 scholly for 2011, but you want him to go out and get a PG for next year? How many schollies are open next year? Answer that one.

AND, before anyone talks about his turnovers... he is in the TOP 15 in the Big Ten in A:TO ratio - no other Big Ten freshman is in the Top 15.

I know your stance on Payne - thats your opinion. I dont want to get into a Cully Payne argument since there is one about everyday. I really like the kid and defend him for the most part, but to just say he is without question the starting PG for the next 3 years makes no sense to me.

Also, the A:TO stat is extremely misleading. I assume you are looking at the stats on bigten.com right?

The A:TO ratio shown is for only players averaging more than 3 assists per game. There are currently only 15 players in the big Ten averaging at least 3 assists per game so that means out of those 15 Cully is dead last in A:TO ratio for the qualifying players.

I know your stance on Payne - thats your opinion. I dont want to get into a Cully Payne argument since there is one about everyday. I really like the kid and defend him for the most part, but to just say he is without question the starting PG for the next 3 years makes no sense to me.

This is true, and I don't know many people who really know the game of basketball who think otherwise. Spanky is someone who seems to know the game and he thinks otherwise, and that's fine. I just think he's wrong and that Iowa desperately needs another PG with more athleticism than Cully.

But it doesn't matter what any of us think. Only what Lick thinks matters, and the available evidence presently suggests Lick agrees with Spanky.

Games like last night just knock the wind out of my sails about this program, and I'm really doubting that Lick can get it done. The kind of judgment involved in the PG situation is one reason why. I hope he proves me wrong, both about his intentions at PG and about getting it done.

But my God--three years of the crap we've had to put up with? It's just incredible. I firmly believe there are few coaches who might have been given any consideration who would not have done a substantially better job than he has. This program is, quite simply, a mess. And contrary to Spanky's recent post, our talent really is bad right now. You can talk all you want about what you think they're supposed to be able to do on paper, but the reality of their performance is that we are woefully, woefully deficient in the kind of talent needed to just break even in this league. And what do have is handicapped by a coach to whom adjustments are anathema.

There is a very real chance we will lose every remaining game, even if the players don't give up on playing for this guy.

Also, the A:TO stat is extremely misleading. I assume you are looking at the stats on bigten.com right?

The A:TO ratio shown is for only players averaging more than 3 assists per game. There are currently only 15 players in the big Ten averaging at least 3 assists per game so that means out of those 15 Cully is dead last in A:TO ratio for the qualifying players.

And as soon as Evan Turner plays in enough games payne will be 16th out of 16 since Turner has a current A:TO ratio of 1.47 to Paynes 1.17

Does that make sense?

Iowa has 1 scholly for 2011, but you want him to go out and get a PG for next year? How many schollies are open next year? Answer that one.

Currently there are no schollys open for next year. But the staff is evidently recruiting prospective pgs for next year according to reports on Kaylon williams and Bobby hatchett. Now I suppose the staff is just messing with the fans and pretending to be interested in pgs for next year, but not sure what the point of inviting Williams to games if there is no scholly to be given. Obviously it could all be a charade,tho.

How is that misleading? If you aren't dishing at least 3 dimes a game, you best not be on that list. Cully has enough assists to make the list. That means something.

Currently there are no schollys open for next year. But the staff is evidently recruiting prospective pgs for next year according to reports on Kaylon williams and Bobby hatchett. Now I suppose the staff is just messing with the fans and pretending to be interested in pgs for next year, but not sure what the point of inviting Williams to games if there is no scholly to be given. Obviously it could all be a charade,tho.
No, I get that. The context that it was given in the previous post just seemed odd.

How is that misleading? If you aren't dishing at least 3 dimes a game, you best not be on that list. Cully has enough assists to make the list. That means something.

Its misleading because when you say top 15 it sounds impressive and it implies he is taking care of the ball better than people give him credit for - then when you dig a little deeper you see that he is dead last out of the qualifying players.

Cully has done a solid job as a freshman but to say his turnovers arent a major issue is way off base

Its misleading because when you say top 15 it sounds impressive and it implies he is taking care of the ball better than people give him credit for - then when you dig a little deeper you see that he is dead last out of the qualifying players.

Cully has done a solid job as a freshman but to say his turnovers arent a major issue is way off base

Fair enough.

I'm not convinced that Iowa is actively recruiting any PG's for either 2010 or 2011. The claims that we're after Williams are disputed, though I don't doubt that Walthall was seen at one of his games and Kaylon got a couple of tickets to an Iowa game. There is no verification yet on Hatchett. And either or both could simply be "keeping an oar in the water" in case something unforseen happens.

I hope they are beating the bushes for someone who can help at PG. I would feel much, much better about next season if we could land one.

"recruites"???

Are we recruiting French players now?

Everyone knows they can't defend. And they don't look good in yellow.

Is any other freshman a starting point guard? Love the way you support players, but using the stats in a somewhat misleading fashion could make people question your abililty to make fair judgments. Of course, I would never do that.

I grant you, it certainly doesn't make sense, but then again neither did comments Lickliter made about John's playing time last week.

We (potentially) have two events that make no sense (1. John's PT & 2. No prospects for a 2011 PG Recruit) I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the end game here. What's the angle?

When Woodward and Berstein were trying to put together the pieces of the Watergate scandal, Deepthroat told them to "follow the money".

I'm not sure what "the money" is in this case. So far the only thing that seems to make the most sense is playing time for John.

:eek::eek::eek:

Latest posts