Basketball passion is alive

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I wouldn't say alive and well but it's alive.

The Spoiled Generation story on the front page has 18 replies to it and it hasn't even been linked on the boards til right now.

The Spoiled Generation? | Hawkeye Nation

people are fired up even if much of it is not focusing on positives. It's almost like there is some level of revival going on. Maybe that is not the right word. But something is going on

Your right Jon. The majority of Iowa fans are feed up with the basketball situation. They want the program to turn things around and be the best it can be. And if that means getting rid of a very inept coaching staff then so be it.

I won't be first in line to say I told you so (generally speaking to the masses) when Lickliter turns the program around... but I'll be here.

I disagree with you here Jon.

I don't think the fans have changed. Well, they have changed a little, but not to the point you are making. I'll get there in a second.

What I think the biggest change is that the marketplace has changed. I will just use the year 1985 as a reference point. In 1985, what were your options for entertainment? Obviously, they were much, much smaller. When you have fewer options for entertainment, making the choice to watch basketball live, even if it is bad basketball, is much easier.

Then we can slim the marketplace down even further. In 1985, when could you watch college basketball? For the vast majority of people, the only time you watched CBB was the CBS games on Saturday. ESPN, for those that even had it, only broadcast tape delayed games. Today, there is literally hours of CBB programming, every single night, on multiple channels.

The competition not just for entertainment, but for college basketball entertainment, is much more severe.

Now, how have the fans changed? The fans now have access to the best teams, the best players, and the best games on demand. While they may tolerate poor play in a vacuum much better, when they have the context of being able to watch the best, that makes it difficult to watch the worst.

Additionally, with the increase in exposure, there is also an increase in input. Thoughts and debate on CBB is not confined to AM radio, writing letters to the newspaper, and talking at the bar. Fan become more informed, and they (feel like) they have more input on the way things go. While the team and coach were (relatively) isolated in 1985, they are now in the proverbial glass house.

So no, I don't think the fans are spoiled. The fans didn't change (much), the landscape has changed.

That's why I just don't understand why so many are offended with what has been recently said about Iowa basketball. At least with all this media attention Iowa basketball is relevant once again, even when they are bad! We should all be thankful for that!!

Good post Ghost and this points out one of my biggest problems with the the U of I and Carver Hawkeye Arena. The arena experience is still very 1985ish. Sure they have bigger scoreboards, but the fan experience isn't that much different than it was back in the day.

I fear the athletic dept still has the "We're the Hawkeyes, people love us and will come" attitude when clearly most of the state (sadly) has moved on and no longer cares about Iowa basketball.

Spank I'll bet you will also be the first in line to shake Lick's hand when he accepts his Big Ten coach of the year award at the end of the season. Who knows with all his recent publicity John would know have to be a leading candidate for Big Ten player of the year. It would be truly great to see both awards going to the same family.

I won't be first in line to say I told you so (generally speaking to the masses) when Lickliter turns the program around... but I'll be here.

Why do people have to play the stupid I told you so card? So if and when Lickliter does somehow turn things around (which I hope he does) after 4 or however many years it takes of trying you are a genius?

I mean (yes this is a BIT extreme) Cub fans have been saying wait til next year for how long? Sooner or later they will be right too...

Well maybe, and then what? We start over again next year

I would love to focus on just the positives. I just don't see them. I would much rather talk about an awesome defensive stop, an ally-oop jam, great ball movement....... I just don't see it. Unfortunately, maybe its just me, the only positive I see is the good hustle and heart we play with. But that doesn't win games.

I disagree with you here Jon.

I don't think the fans have changed. Well, they have changed a little, but not to the point you are making. I'll get there in a second.

What I think the biggest change is that the marketplace has changed. I will just use the year 1985 as a reference point. In 1985, what were your options for entertainment? Obviously, they were much, much smaller. When you have fewer options for entertainment, making the choice to watch basketball live, even if it is bad basketball, is much easier.

Then we can slim the marketplace down even further. In 1985, when could you watch college basketball? For the vast majority of people, the only time you watched CBB was the CBS games on Saturday. ESPN, for those that even had it, only broadcast tape delayed games. Today, there is literally hours of CBB programming, every single night, on multiple channels.

The competition not just for entertainment, but for college basketball entertainment, is much more severe.

Now, how have the fans changed? The fans now have access to the best teams, the best players, and the best games on demand. While they may tolerate poor play in a vacuum much better, when they have the context of being able to watch the best, that makes it difficult to watch the worst.

Additionally, with the increase in exposure, there is also an increase in input. Thoughts and debate on CBB is not confined to AM radio, writing letters to the newspaper, and talking at the bar. Fan become more informed, and they (feel like) they have more input on the way things go. While the team and coach were (relatively) isolated in 1985, they are now in the proverbial glass house.

So no, I don't think the fans are spoiled. The fans didn't change (much), the landscape has changed.

That's all very interesting, but wasn't there another stat about attendance posted somewhere, showing that we are now something like 9th in the Big Ten in attendance? Remember when we used to be Top-20 every year NATIONALLY? Why has IOWA sunk so far if it's the landscape that has changed? Wouldn't every team be affected by this? Seems like it's mainly just us.

Something INTERNAL has changed for Iowa and it's fanbase that is causing this, IMO. I still think it comes down to W's and L's, far more than anything else.

Last edited:
Great post, Ghost...you brought up some really good points. The landscape has drastically changed since the '80's. And people want results NOW.

Good post Ghost and this points out one of my biggest problems with the the U of I and Carver Hawkeye Arena. The arena experience is still very 1985ish. Sure they have bigger scoreboards, but the fan experience isn't that much different than it was back in the day.

I fear the athletic dept still has the "We're the Hawkeyes, people love us and will come" attitude when clearly most of the state (sadly) has moved on and no longer cares about Iowa basketball.

Oh, for cryin' out loud. Are you really going to sit there and whine that you don't like going to CHA because they don't have bigger video monitors? Good grief.

It's the freaking game that counts. NOTHING will serve to significantly improve attendance--not bigger monitors, louder music, cheaper hot dogs, or strippers at half time (well, maybe that last one would work) other than playing exciting basketball and WINNING.

Next thing will be someone complaining that they don't have free wi-fi in the arena.

In case some of you were wondering what basketball looked like in 1985 here is a visual...
lesjepsen.jpg

Last edited:

I will gladly admit you were right and I was wrong! For the record, I still think Lick deserves (and will) get one more year. But after that all bets are off.

I didn't say it's keeping ME away from CHA, I'm saying the casual fan expects to be entertained. I don't think some of the folks in Iowa City get this. Certainly winning basketball is the major component to success but it's not as simple as that anymore. It might shock some folks, but there are other things to do in the world. It's clear most Hawkeye fans have found better things to with their time and money. Our arena experience is BORING. Both on and off the floor.

Latest posts