Basabe's comments in the Gazette.

sioux34

Mel called out his teammates for being soft after the OSU loss. Is this going to have the desired effect of bringing a little more toughness to the team (which it obviously needs) or cause a rift in the team?

I would like to think the team would step up and meet Mel's challenge, but I'm not sure. It is hard to predict when dealing with young egos.

Not sure how this will be received considering his play last year and is coming off the bench. Hello Pot, meet Kettle :)

Has one good game and then starts acting like the boss? What's next, is he going to criticize his team mates for not staying focused?

Soft? Consider who made the comment(s). Almost laughable. We make free throws at a reasonable rate we win. Period.

Mel played soft last year a lot. I've not seen much, if any of that from him this year. He's not the player he was a year ago.

Soft? Consider who made the comment(s). Almost laughable. We make free throws at a reasonable rate we win. Period.

Disagree, you can't change one thing about the game for the good and not expect anything else to change for the bad.

"What if's" work both ways, you change for the good, something bad changes as well, otherwise Iowa would be undefeated.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. There are several labels you could put on Basabe; soft is not one of them.

I'm not calling Melsahn soft. What I meant was we were NOT soft last night. Period. You don't pound a team on the glass, especially on the offensive side of things, if you are soft.

It's probably pretty unusual to have a non starter calling out the team. But I watched the entire game last night and I thought Basabe brought it and has been very consistent this year after falling off last year. He got down and dirty on the offensive boards and created a presence down low. He even had a nice block in a one on one situation against a bigger guy. I'm sure Fran saw this as well as Basabe played well above his average minutes.

I'd be curious to see what his exact words were, but the fact of the matter is , the team got smacked around quite a bit to a point where you could see the oSU players smirking.

Let's keep it in context... Mel wasn't calling anyone out.

“We have a good enough team, and we definitely thought we should have beat this team,” Basabe said. “To me it’s an opportunity lost because we were being soft and not because they beat us, not because they just shut us down or because they had more talent than us."

“When you lose games being soft, that’s unacceptable.”

Plus you have to know how Mel is when he is talking to reporters. He's very laid back and just speaks his mind freely.

Mel called out his teammates for being soft after the OSU loss. Is this going to have the desired effect of bringing a little more toughness to the team (which it obviously needs) or cause a rift in the team?

I would like to think the team would step up and meet Mel's challenge, but I'm not sure. It is hard to predict when dealing with young egos.

Calling out teammates means you called out someone specific not referring to the whole team including oneself.

Mel's comments will have absolutely no effect; he is not the leader on this squad. Not sure who it is this year -- probably RDM

And being soft isn't just about rebounding/post play. OSU's guards were consistently pushing our guards off the perimeter, and we were starting our offense from 30 feet away from the hoop.

Latest posts