Basabe misses USA U19 Championship roster. McDermott makes the cut.

dmShortSaledude

I was hoping that/planning on Melsahn making the cut. Unfortunate for him in the missed opportunity, but still a good experience. In the long run it could be better, as this should light a fire under his arse to prove himself. That and it will be good he is around this summer to work with the rest of the team and the new recruits.

Other B1G Players - Keith Appling (MSU), Tim Hardaway Jr. (UM) & Meyers Leonard (Illannoy).

World Championship Roster

Last edited:
That's an oversimplification. You don't know what they were looking for.

I was thinking something similar. I'm guessing Basabe's lack of passing skills hurt him in making the team. I haven't seen McDermott play so I can't comment on who is better

Last edited:
Also means Basabe isn't as good as McDermott. Will be interesting matchup come December.

I do not know about that one. But they are basically playing the same position. December will be VERY interesting.

This will definitely light that fire on Basabe's underside. I am looking forward to the game in Des Moines already!

I was thinking something similar. I'm guessing Basabe's lack of passing skills hurt him in making the team. I haven't seen McDermott play so I can't comment on who is better

McDermott is also a better jump shooter. Not exactly a true power forward in that sense.

McDermott is a heck of a player. He averaged 15 points, 7 rebounds and shot 52% from the field and 40 from the 3 point line.

McDermott gives you a good shooter with size off the bench. He'll be more of a 3 in that role.

Mel is an undersized power forward. They have Mitchell and Young for the 4/5 slot, which is where they had Mel. Unless he turns into Wes Unseld, he's not going to be an elite post player at six-seven.

For an elite team, I agree with the McDermott pick.

Last edited:
You guys realize that just put Gatens, White, and Basabe on the same PTL team. Could be best possible scenario. Mel and Aaron are going to have to figure out how to use Aaron's length and range and Mel's explosiveness and strength together.

Everyone is correct in identifying that Mel is not an elite power forward. True he made B1G all-frosh, but so did Gatens and May and NOBODY would call either of them elite. Mel is a good, productive 3 star player who is able to compensate for his weaknesses with effort. But if a team wants to shut him down, it is pretty easy.

However, Aaron should be able to make teams pay for concentrating on Mel. But they need to work together to understand how to help each other by drawing defenders, setting screens, dishing, and crashing the boards.

Also, Matt needs to know how to set both of these guys up with his passes and also how to spot up and hit the jumper on the kick-out.

However, Mel's availability makes it even more unfortunate that Hub is stuck on a team without any Iowa scholarship players.

fwiw

Paul Hewitt was recently fired by Georgia Tech and not a very good coach. (He got a $7 million buyout).

Paul Hewitt has been a very good recruiter and once coached at Sienna.

You guys realize that just put Gatens, White, and Basabe on the same PTL team. Could be best possible scenario. Mel and Aaron are going to have to figure out how to use Aaron's length and range and Mel's explosiveness and strength together.

Everyone is correct in identifying that Mel is not an elite power forward. True he made B1G all-frosh, but so did Gatens and May and NOBODY would call either of them elite. Mel is a good, productive 3 star player who is able to compensate for his weaknesses with effort. But if a team wants to shut him down, it is pretty easy.

However, Aaron should be able to make teams pay for concentrating on Mel. But they need to work together to understand how to help each other by drawing defenders, setting screens, dishing, and crashing the boards.

Also, Matt needs to know how to set both of these guys up with his passes and also how to spot up and hit the jumper on the kick-out.

However, Mel's availability makes it even more unfortunate that Hub is stuck on a team without any Iowa scholarship players.

Wow, you are expecting a whole lot out of a step above pick up ball at the YMCA. I wouldn't be too concerned as to who's playing with who at the PTL league. Let's worry about how they interact at practice in the fall.

Also means Basabe isn't as good as McDermott. Will be interesting matchup come December.
Well thats a misguided comment. I will take Basabe over McDermott all day long. Not making the cut has more to do with things that the coaches are looking for in the mix. Basabe will do very well against McDermott later this year.

team needs notwithstanding, id take Dougie right now. hes probably a better player and certainly more well rounded. mel might have more upside though.

I have watch McDermott, and I would also take Mel.

McDermott is a very good basketball player. He has one of the better basketball IQ's I have seen at the college level which is why a skinny 6'8 white kid can post the numbers that he did last season. He is a great guy to have on a team full of stars because he does not require touches like Mel to be productive.

The bottom line is that they are both very good players who fit well within their respective systems. If I had a gun to my head I would take McDermott due to him being a more well rounded player who can go inside and out.

Well thats a misguided comment. I will take Basabe over McDermott all day long. Not making the cut has more to do with things that the coaches are looking for in the mix. Basabe will do very well against McDermott later this year.

Bump